Son caught with cannabis on the islands

23 hours ago, Mum2 said:

No I am not condoning his actions at all - I am livid with him. 

As for the 2nd point, he would have been charged with overstaying, this is now the procedure, two people he met in a similar situation did not arrange and pay for  a visa extension and were charged 20000 Thai baht for overstaying  on top of their fine for the drugs

You need to explain to Your son, at foreign countries the law and the law enforcement are very different from his home country. For example at Singapore his action has a very harsh consequence, and no any option for bribing the justice system. At now escaped very easily.

6 hours ago, OmarZaid said:

so much fuss for a harmless weed . . . modern world is nuts

Harmeless ? Tell That to the family who’s son was killed in a car accident. A stones 50 year old went straight thru a stop sign and killed the kid !! It’s illegal and I hope it’s stays that way !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People need to learn laws in other countries.20 years ago it would have probably been A worse outcome.An 18 year old being allowed by family to go visit another country.Not in my day. I say consider yourself lucky.You gave him the money to go there.The fines were small.You have the money.Tell him no next time.He’s not going anywhere.

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Hi folks

Please remember that Mum2 is talking about what happened to her 18 year old son as a result of his own stupidity.  She is not making any excuses for him, or looking for any sympathy.  All she has tried to do from the start was to make others aware of the pitfalls of becoming involved with illegal substances in Thailand. 

No doubt she has been through 2 months of ‘hell’ and certainly does not deserve to be castigated for her son’s foolhardy actions.

I sincerely hope that her son realises what pain and anxiety he has caused his mother and makes amends to her.

I guess there is a couple of Norwegian parents going trough the same in Phuket, but they managed to bribe themselves out of custody, and latest was to get their passports back for a surten amount of 100k´s of bath. No news about them lately, except embassy confirmed there where two tenager girls being hold back at the Island. 

7 minutes ago, thrilled said:

People need to learn laws in other countries.20 years ago it would have probably been A worse outcome.An 18 year old being allowed by family to go visit another country.Not in my day. I say consider yourself lucky.You gave him the money to go there.The fines were small.You have the money.Tell him no next time.He’s not going anywhere.

I went skydiving 18 years old in Florida ;-) Nobody could hold me back, and I had my own money. And yes we smoked pot alot. 

• Like 1

Do drugs in Asia....pay the penalties big time. How many warning do idiots need. They see others on death row for drugs, but think they are smarter....ok then. Natural selection takes it's  course.

Edited by Goanna
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fuzzie said:

IDC is a terrible place it can hold up to 80 people and that was in room 2, you would be locked up for 4 days and let out for 2 hour exercise and to bye  items if you had noney many poor people have been in there for years. I KNOW BECAUSE IVE BEEN THER AND DONE IT.

I was in IDC BKK for 3 weeks and nobody was let out for exercise during that time..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, it's not a case of my thinking, hoping and wishing, it's a case of my knowing what happens in that situation. 

Mum2 has not been in that situation, neither has her son as he left before his visa expired!   She was quoting hearsay which was incorrect so keep your demands for respect to yourself.

No, you still don't get it. You don't "[know] what happens in that situation" at all. Because every situation here is different. There is no "that situation". Everything depends - whether you can bribe your way out or not. 

The bigger issue is the fact that the system is corrupt, so the written law matters little, if anything.

Saying you know because you have "been there", or you know the actual written law/rules - is a meaningless statement in this country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Reedey said:

I was in IDC for 3 months following a 13 year overstay. Yep my own fault total shit hole run by the mafia. Keep ya head down if not beaten up or worse.

Yep.... and it seemed easy to get drugs from the cell Mafia too. Mine were Iranians that had the individual cell by the entrance with their own shower/toilet...

There was a few times I saw guys going in to that cell and coming out obviously having taken something. When asked how they paid they pointed to their <deleted>...

But you are right. Keep a low profile..don't complain...and shower with your pants on....

"The issue is the legal system is trying to appear to operate in an uncorrupt way (no bribes on arrest etc.), but underneath it all corruption is rife..."

Don't self-righteously complain about corruption when you chose to part of it!   You didn't have to be, that is called hypocrisy.

Haha...."self-righteously complain about corruption"? Corruption is corruption. Nothing self-righteous about pointing out the fact.

For you, this is called ignorance.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Swimman said:

Anyone who messes with drugs, anywhere in SE Asia must be a slate short of a roof. Penalties can be draconian and the person cited by the OP was very lucky.

Another beer short of a six-pack reply. The point here is corruption. And the "draconian" penalties. A useful reply would have been to address those.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, rdhowell said:

Another beer short of a six-pack reply. The point here is corruption. And the "draconian" penalties. A useful reply would have been to address those.

Not at all --  Alleged "corruption" and draconian consequence can both be avoided by not messing with drugs in SEA --  Easy ........... 

The issue is the legal system is trying to appear to operate in an uncorrupt way (no bribes on arrest etc.), but underneath it all corruption is rife..."

Don't self-righteously complain about corruption when you chose to part of it!   You didn't have to be, that is called hypocrisy.

Ah, the self appointed Thai Government Mouthpiece on ThaiVisa has a platform to preach, and what fun!. As it is Sunday morning, I'll just see if Jimmy Swaggert is on cable to get the same level of self riotous hypocrisy here.

*Remember TrollTeamers, hunt in a pack or don't attack

• Like 2

On 4/28/2018 at 11:18 AM, Just Weird said:

Don't believe that for a minute.  If someone is arrested and detained by the police Immigration Dept has a process to cover them while they are detained as the overstay is beyond the arrestee's control if the detention passes the expiry date of their visa.  Detainees do not have to arrange and pay for those "extensions"!

They have to apply under clause 2.26 of police order 777/2551. Yes they must pay for the extension.

5 hours ago, africasiaeuro said:

Everyone going to Thailand knows how strict the laws are in the Kingdom. He was lucky. Because of such cases, the Farung community is being tainted.

Farung back, he should be banned from returning. 

Actually your using the derogatory word "Farung" taints the foreign community by being an embarrassment to us foreigners.

You speak as though the Thais don't taint themselves enough with their "Ya-ba" issues.

You should be banned for complicentcy.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 28/04/2018 at 10:37 AM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Surprised to learn he is blacklisted for life, especially with such a small fine.

Excellent news indeed and hopefully in future others found in possession of drugs are treated exactly the same. Banned for life sends out the perfect message druggies are not wanted or tolerated.

Frankly lucky he didnt get a stretch as well

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

First, thank you to mum2 for your post. A firsthand insight into the machinations of a system that even natives most likely do not have a clear grasp. I get that your experience was your family’s reality, regardless of how things are supposed to be.

In 1993, my first visit, I stayed at a little bungalow on Samui. The Aussies in the shack next to me were getting weed from the front desk clerk. I thought, well, that’s great until you get caught. I had no desire to partake both for personal and penalty reasons. Anyways, when this couple checked out a day before me, they showed me their hand written receipt. On it was a small charge for the bong that the Hotel had supplied them. It seemed daring and funny at the same time. 

Lastly, it’s great that celebrities post here under pen names. Who would have guessed that Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory was a fan of Thai Visa?