'My gladiator lay down his shield': Toddler Alfie Evans dies in Britain

Jonathan Fairfield

'My gladiator lay down his shield': Toddler Alfie Evans dies in Britain

2018-04-28T064940Z_1_LYNXMPEE3R07B_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-HEALTH-ALFIE.JPG

LONDON (Reuters) - Alfie Evans, the 23-month-old British toddler whose grave illness drew international attention, died early on Saturday, his family said.

Alfie had a rare, degenerative disease and had been in a semi-vegetative state for more than a year.

After a series of court cases, doctors at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool removed his life support on Monday, against his parents wishes.

He confounded expectations by continuing to breathe unaided for days, but died in the early hours of Saturday, his parents said.

"My gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings at 02:30 absolutely heartbroken," the boy's father Tom Evans wrote on Facebook.

"Our baby boy grew his wings tonight ... Thank you everyone for all your support," his mother Kate James wrote.

Medical experts in Britain had agreed that more treatment for Alfie would be futile, but his parents wanted to take him to Rome, where the Vatican's Bambino Gesu hospital had offered to care for him.

A British court rejected an appeal by the parents on Wednesday to take their son to Italy.

The case has provoked strong feelings over whether judges, doctors or parents have the right to decide on a child's life. Alfie's parents have been backed by Pope Francis and Poland's President Andrzej Duda.

(Reporting by James Davey; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-28

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He confounded expectations by continuing to breathe unaided for days

Could have been in the Vatican hospital in 2 hours but for uk idiots who are able to override parents wishes. Very sad, RIP.

• Sad 3

I empathise as I lost a baby daughter here in Thailand.

His parents will get over it and realize that it was for the best, hopefully sooner than later.

There is a reason for everything, no good nor bad in this world of casuality.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, NanLaew said:

Truly heart breaking.

But it hasn't stopped Newt Gingrich hijacking the tragedy. He's not alone of course but his ramble on Fox News (where else) although pointing out salient issues regarding nascent nanny states (or what he labels 'Britain's scary secular state) and what happens when one becomes inured and apathetic, is more odious than most. By bringing together the heart-breakingly short lives of Charlie Gard and Alfie Evans, playing loose with words like 'condemned to die', 'death sentences for innocent infants', asserting 'how dangerous and heartless government tyranny can be once God is rejected' and otherwise bigging up his belief that Constitutionally protected 'faith' prevents the same happening in the USA, he casually dismisses the unique, multiple daily tragedies that are forever wrapped up in the protections of their Constitution.

RIP Alfie.

The Newt is an excellent example of how corruption and excrement float to the surface.  We scraped him from our shoes years ago, yet his foul odor refuses to dissipate.  While there is excellent health care in the US, availability beyond basic services is generally limited to the those who can afford it.  The State (Gov) would NOT have stepped in to support the continued treatment, so his (their) care would have been dependent upon support from donors.  The decision to remove them from life support would have to have come from the parents.

On 28/04/2018 at 6:16 PM, NanLaew said:

Truly heart breaking.

But it hasn't stopped Newt Gingrich hijacking the tragedy. He's not alone of course but his ramble on Fox News (where else) although pointing out salient issues regarding nascent nanny states (or what he labels 'Britain's scary secular state) and what happens when one becomes inured and apathetic, is more odious than most. By bringing together the heart-breakingly short lives of Charlie Gard and Alfie Evans, playing loose with words like 'condemned to die', 'death sentences for innocent infants', asserting 'how dangerous and heartless government tyranny can be once God is rejected' and otherwise bigging up his belief that Constitutionally protected 'faith' prevents the same happening in the USA, he casually dismisses the unique, multiple daily tragedies that are forever wrapped up in the protections of their Constitution.

RIP Alfie.

Turn your TV off. I stopped watching that nonsense years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

We know what the Italian doctors said:

No cure, just possibly prolonging his life via numerous operations for no reason.

Do that to a dog and you'd be prosecuted for animal cruelty!

Where there is life there is hope.

The parents should have had the final word, not the State imo  

Your comment regarding dogs is both crass and inappropriate.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Where there is life there is hope.

The parents should have had the final word, not the State imo  

Your comment regarding dogs is both crass and inappropriate.

You don't seem to be interested in the medical facts of the case and your statement is a meaningless platitude.  In many countries, experimental medical procedures on animals including subjecting them to long term life support  is subject to official internal board  review  and requires justification.  So the statement was quite accurate and appropriate.  How much of your personal funds did YOU donate for supportive care? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why is the comment inappropriate?

It is true, with dogs when we see no prospect of getting well we as humans decide the humane solution is 'to put the dog to sleep'. But with humans we prolong the suffering. Time we get humane with humans' deaths as well.

I see an overriding role of parents in this situation.  I have no idea why you are drawing parallels between a child's life and a dogs. That is a matter for you. 

3 minutes ago, Gregorio1 said:

You don't seem to be interested in the medical facts of the case and your statement is a meaningless platitude.  In many countries, experimental medical procedures on animals including subjecting them to long term life support  is subject to official internal board  review  and requires justification.  So the statement was quite accurate and appropriate.  How much of your personal funds did YOU donate for supportive care? 

Medical facts indeed, what about the human spirit!  This little guy fought for days after life support was switched off defying "medical facts" by the hour. I repeat, parents were in the best position  to make the final decision. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why is the comment inappropriate?

It is true, with dogs when we see no prospect of getting well we as humans decide the humane solution is 'to put the dog to sleep'. But with humans we prolong the suffering. Time we get humane with humans' deaths as well.

I agree with the poster that there is no point comparing animals to humans. A horse breaks it's leg, why not patch it up, splint it, take care and it will happily live it's days out in pastures. But nope we kill it to prevent 'suffering'. It costs time and money to keep it alive.  If it were in Arizona 3 days from anywhere 150 years ago then fair call. Shoot it or it will be eaten by wild animals, but today - not so.

We can't even allow people that are suffering terribly with terminal diseases the right to choose assisted euthanasia in 90% of countries. We deny it and tell them they must suffer. They quote sanctity of life and all that. If the parents were wanting to end the child's life there would be a court hearing to protect the rights of the child to live. But the parents wanted the child to live, they wanted to try and do what every single one of us would do ourselves, and that is save our child at all costs. It was the state that gave up on the child. The decision to terminate treatment by hospitals is unfortunately a backroom decision taken by financiers. It is financial triage.

I am quite sure if this infant would have been able to communicate he would have been shouting , "no, I want to live, I want a life, there may be a chance I will survive, I want hugs and kisses and school and first dates and love and grandchildren, just please let me try, give me a chance".

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I see an overriding role of parents in this situation.  I have no idea why you are drawing parallels between a child's life and a dogs. That is a matter for you. 

No, that's not a matter for me, that is a matter for the previous poster who made the comparison, and you who objected to it.

I don't mind the comparison nor did I make the initial parallel.

" We can't even allow people that are suffering terribly with terminal diseases the right to choose assisted euthanasia in 90% of countries. We deny it and tell them they must suffer. "

Yes, and I don't agree with that, assisted euthanasia should be possible (with provisions of course). If we do the same for animals, why not for humans. I know when my mother was dying I wanted to help her stop suffering, and considered a pillow over her head, but did not do it due to fear.

Regarding your horse, don't know enough about that to comment, but if true and only expenses are the issue I agree, help it get better and live a healthy life, maybe even a cripple life.

I don't agree it was a financial decision in this case, I am convinced that MD's make these decisions based on ethical reasons, not financial. And I know quite a few I would trust with these decisions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, that's not a matter for me, that is a matter for the previous poster who made the comparison, and you who objected to it.

I don't mind the comparison nor did I make the initial parallel.

You clearly associated yourself with the comment imho.

1 minute ago, Tilacme said:

You clearly associated yourself with the comment imho.

You could have said 'oops, sorry, wrong poster' in stead of this.

Never mind.