Vietnam asked to lift unfair restriction on Thai cars

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

If the import charge on cheese was removed, the cost of a block of Mature English Cheddar at Tops would drop from 350 baht, to 345 baht almost overnight!

LOL

Bit off topic but of essential importance to fellow cheese lovers... Villa Market had the large 350 gr blocks of Cathedral City cheddar (in mild, mature and extra mature) on sale for only 200 baht last month. I bought loads but interesting to know if it's still an option.

10 minutes ago, atyclb said:

just bought a pack of 6 beefy slices of emmental cheese . (president brand) holland import, at cambodia retail supermarket 2 usd . (64 baht0 . that is after cooled shipping.  

makro has decent thailand made cheese that is not overpriced

Who knows how that works, Cambodia has a 35% import tax on Cheese.

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I didn't say it was so, I said who knows, maybe, so that actually makes your inane reply the tosh.

Thailand does not make a ride, they assemble them for other manufacturer countries....Your "point" was tosh....

2 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Doesn't Thailand do exactly the same thing? Isn't that why European car brands are sold at insane prices here?

I believe Thailands policy is that unless they are made in Thailand (specific models) then it is a 300-400% import tax

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

I believe Thailands policy is that unless they are made in Thailand (specific models) then it is a 300-400% import tax

The import tax is 80%, then there is a 10% - 50% tax on emissions, 10% interior tax and 7% VAT, the total is from to 116% to 328%, depending on the vehicle but irrespective of the country of origin.

Just now, transam said:

Maybe so, but who designed them for production...Thailand...?

No, they are designed abroad, but their requirement is to make something that meets Thai regs when they are making them in Thailand, they don't necessarily design them the same for every country, actually it is a fact that they don't always.  Just look at the GM scandal in Brazil, the 'same' car made in the US is far safer than the 'same' car by the same manufacturer but built in Brazil, that happened because Brazil does not have the same safety regs in place that the US does and so the manufacturer exploited this and made cars that, although looking the same, do not fair the same in crash testing, in fact they never had any crash testing done because Brazil does not require it, but when the testing was later done by independents, they failed while the same car made in the US passed.  Do you think it is possible that the same thing could occur in a country like Thailand?  I do!

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, they are designed abroad, but their requirement is to make something that meets Thai regs when they are making them in Thailand, they don't necessarily design them the same for every country, actually it is a fact that they don't always.  Just look at the GM scandal in Brazil, the 'same' car made in the US is far safer than the 'same' car by the same manufacturer but built in Brazil, that happened because Brazil does not have the same safety regs in place that the US does and so the manufacturer exploited this and made cars that, although looking the same, do not fair the same in crash testing, in fact they never had any crash testing done because Brazil does not require it, but when the testing was later done by independents, they failed while the same car made in the US passed.  Do you think it is possible that the same thing could occur in a country like Thailand?  I do!

Many rides are assembled in LOS and sent to Aus etc....If you can find an Aus problem related to inferior stuff from LOS then show me....

• Like 1

Cheese and wine although I wonder how much is profit from the supermarkets, at least on foreign foods? I buy Twinings  Tea in Australia for B200 for a box of 100 bags, or B125 if it's on special. The big supermarkets here have a small box of 25 bags for B225! Transport costs must be high.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Many rides are assembled in LOS and sent to Aus etc....If you can find an Aus problem related to inferior stuff from LOS then show me....

You make assumption after assumption.  If the manufacturers are making inferior products for the Thai market it does not automatically mean that the cars they make for export to Australia are of the same low standard. 

5 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Correct as the manufacture of vehicles in Auss is gone 

& the corperations that build these big plants to assemble here would be checking quality as not to have recalls & inferior products sent around the world 

Yes, Australia will check, just like Vietnam are doing much to the dismay of Thailand, you have to wonder why they don't want Vietnam to do their safety checks.

You make assumption after assumption.  If the manufacturers are making inferior products for the Thai market it does not automatically mean that the cars they make for export to Australia are of the same low standard. 

Good grief, so what is inferior about my near eleven year old Toyota ride...What did they skip..You know, just tell me what to look out for...?

Chassis, engine, auto trans, anything....Go for it...

Yes, Australia will check, just like Vietnam are doing much to the dismay of Thailand, you have to wonder why they don't want Vietnam to do their safety checks.

Yes they would probably do random checks concerning Auss laws on imports/ road requirements 

Then you have the checks on the purchase from car franchise

But as mentioned (lets say Toyota ), they will certainly be checking prior to shipment of vehicles 

There not just going to let a bunch of assemblers whack it together & off they go 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Good grief, so what is inferior about my near eleven year old Toyota ride...What did they skip..You know, just tell me what to look out for...?

Chassis, engine, auto trans, anything....Go for it...

Are your reading skills really this poor or are you being purposely obtuse?  I didn't say they do make inferior cars, I said they may do and this may be the reason that they are concerned with the checks being done in Vietnam, that is all.  There is no denying that some of the same manufacturers that make in Thailand have made massively inferior cars in other places they have been able to get away with it, so it really would be completely daft to right off the concept as being tosh, the concept is a reality, whether or not it happens in Thailand we just don't know.

9 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Yes they would probably do random checks concerning Auss laws on imports/ road requirements 

Then you have the checks on the purchase from car franchise

But as mentioned (lets say Toyota ), they will certainly be checking prior to shipment of vehicles 

There not just going to let a bunch of assemblers whack it together & off they go 

We can assume that any car made in Thailand for the Australian market will be made to meet the Australian standards, but we can't assume that the apparently same car made in the very same factory but for the domestic market will be made to that same standard, they could use different parts, joined in different ways, for two cars that end up being badged the same, just as they do in Brazil.

3 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Doesn't Thailand do exactly the same thing? Isn't that why European car brands are sold at insane prices here?

Yes, it does.  Malaysia makes a good little car called the Myvy. You rarely see one with a Thai license plate.  Let's see if Alibaba will tear into the Thai car market

Perodua-Myvi-Malaysia-December-2011.jpg?

Edited by yellowboat

Maybe Viet cars have higher safety standards than Thailand.  My Thai made/assembled car was minus a great many safety features that the same model in Australia had.  Airbags were the most obvious, reduced from 7 in Australia to 1 in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Are your reading skills really this poor or are you being purposely obtuse?  I didn't say they do make inferior cars, I said they may do and this may be the reason that they are concerned with the checks being done in Vietnam, that is all.  There is no denying that some of the same manufacturers that make in Thailand have made massively inferior cars in other places they have been able to get away with it, so it really would be completely daft to right off the concept as being tosh, the concept is a reality, whether or not it happens in Thailand we just don't know.

You referred to LOS accident numbers...

Tell me what you know about inferior rides being made/assembled outside LOS, as you quoted, that were inferior....

You referred to LOS accident numbers...

Tell me what you know about inferior rides being made/assembled outside LOS, as you quoted, that were inferior....

I suggested that it may play a part in accident numbers, I did not claim anything, that was just your poor reading skills leading to make these false assumptions.

And I told you already, look up GM in Brazil if you missed the scandal.

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I suggested that it may play a part in accident numbers, I did not claim anything, that was just your poor reading skills leading to make these false assumptions.

And I told you already, look up GM in Brazil if you missed the scandal.

Well I would not post your assumption as I could not back it up, perhaps your poor posting skills or scare mongering eh...

• Like 1

Well I would not post your assumption as I could not back it up, perhaps your poor posting skills or scare mongering eh...

I wasn't the one making assumptions and my writing skills are fine, the problem has all been in your reading ability, other posters have responded with relevance, yours have been nothing but attacks based on things that you misconstrued. As for scaremongering, this is again your poor reading skills leading you to this conclusion, I am not starting rumours, I merely suggested a plausible scenario and phrased it as such.

49 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Why are you barking about 'inferior' Thai manufactured products?

When it comes to cars, the Thai production lines have different standards for different export markets. Just because Thailand has a different standard does not automatically make it inferior unless one is hell-bent on finding just another Thai bash.

Ford vehicles for Thailand and the ones for Australia come out of the same factory but there's separate parts of the common production lines to address the end-market standards before they're squirted out the door. There's never been any claims that their Thai-destined products are of an inferior standard and that safety is impaired in either the local product or the export product. The only time I recall where a rubbish Thai product went overseas was with the 2011 release Ranger T6/PX where FoMoCo branded batteries made under license by GS Siam had a high failure rate. No safety issues have been  compromised that I am aware of.

Now, back on topic... what sort of cheese is your favorite?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I wasn't the one making assumptions and my writing skills are fine, the problem has all been in your reading ability, other posters have responded with relevance, yours have been nothing but attacks based on things that you misconstrued. As for scaremongering, this is again your poor reading skills leading you to this conclusion, I am not starting rumours, I merely suggested a plausible scenario and phrased it as such.

Those who quote "reading skills", grammar, spelling are for sure on the back foot....Just answering replies is quite sufficient....

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Why are you barking about 'inferior' Thai manufactured products?

When it comes to cars, the Thai production lines have different standards for different export markets. Just because Thailand has a different standard does not automatically make it inferior unless one is hell-bent on finding just another Thai bash.

Ford vehicles for Thailand and the ones for Australia come out of the same factory but there's separate parts of the common production lines to address the end-market standards before they're squirted out the door. There's never been any claims that their Thai-destined products are of an inferior standard and that safety is impaired in either the local product or the export product. The only time I recall where a rubbish Thai product went overseas was with the 2011 release Ranger T6/PX where FoMoCo branded batteries made under license by GS Siam had a high failure rate. No safety issues have been  compromised that I am aware of.

Now, back on topic... what sort of cheese is your favorite?

Different standards result in different qualities with some being inferior to others, standards in car manufacture are often based on safety, so different safety standards being applied to the same car can result in some of those cars being inferior in terms of safety to the others, that is why. 

Thankfully ASEAN has finally brought in their crash testing system, it's based in Vietnam, Thailand doesn't like it.  That is the topic by the way, any comments, perhaps speculation as to why they don't like it?