Prepaid SIM card validity

Barley

Dudes I need  to go this weekend and get 7 months of the best possible data package, but need a permanent number.....Id rather pay in one lump some until I head back to the states, then I guess I can top off on line, but how do I keep my number a year from now?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 2:07 PM, cookai said:

AIS now has lump sum packages - pay up front for 3 months,  6 months or 1 year of data package. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, ravip said:

Can you please add a link to the above?

40 minutes ago, JamJar said:

It's hardly news and this thread is about Prepaid SIM card validity

pay up front for 3 months,  6 months or 1 year of data package.

17 hours ago, ravip said:

pay up front for 3 months,  6 months or 1 year of data package.

Are you confused?

This thread is about Prepaid SIM card validity.

Data package information is featured and posted elsewhere, so I won't be posting it here. Understood?

29 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Are you confused?

This thread is about Prepaid SIM card validity.

Data package information is featured and posted elsewhere, so I won't be posting it here. Understood?

Are you confused? - Totally.

Data package information is featured and posted elsewhere, so I won't be posting it here. Understood? - Thank you and take a rest.

Edit

You from the special forces? Marines? Lovely attitude, spread your delightful ambience well.

Edited by ravip

13 hours ago, ravip said:

Are you confused? - Totally.

Data package information is featured and posted elsewhere, so I won't be posting it here. Understood? - Thank you and take a rest.

Edit

You from the special forces? Marines? Lovely attitude, spread your delightful ambience well.

Don't cry. I've updated the Any unlimited 4g data packages for pre-paid SIMs? thread for you.

The 90 day packages are from Truemove H.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I've got an AIS SIM and I can see on the app I've actually had it for 2 years 7 months.  It still seems to be working while in the UK, e.g. I can receive SMS to it and make calls.  But how do I know when it will expire?  I can't see any expiry date in the app

59 minutes ago, randymarsh said:

I've got an AIS SIM and I can see on the app I've actually had it for 2 years 7 months.  It still seems to be working while in the UK, e.g. I can receive SMS to it and make calls.  But how do I know when it will expire?  I can't see any expiry date in the app

*121#

That will tell you balance and validity.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Farang two dot zero said:

I would like to extend my sim card validity for up to 365 days, how to do it and what is the cost ?

It varies amongst the Telcos.

Who is your service provider?

On 11/15/2019 at 2:24 AM, randymarsh said:

You will see all the details.

AIS.jpg

3 hours ago, Farang two dot zero said:

No worries my gf go to Dtac shop and they refilled the sim card for 12 months 240 bath !

Expensive to say the least. That would have been 24 Baht on Truemove

• 3 months later...

So, my DTAC prepaid SIM expires in 30 days, while in BKK I extended it for 1 year max at the time.

Because of CV-19 I can't return. I see no option on dtac web site to extend the "days" validity

Can I punch in some particular *code while in the US (I note I do get SMS while in the US)

or can I make an overseas call to the DTAC english CS?

or is there no option for > the 1 initial year?

36 minutes ago, mooping20Baht said:

DTAC prepaid SIM

You can topup sims at https://mobiletopup.com/   I used them often, it works well.

If you have enough money on your card you can extend the validity by using the codes below:

DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.

• Press : *113*30*9#  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
  • Press : *113*60*9#  for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
  • Press : *113*90*9#  for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
  • Press : *113*180*9#  for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
  • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.

3 hours ago, dimitriv said:

You can topup sims at https://mobiletopup.com/   I used them often, it works well.

If you have enough money on your card you can extend the validity by using the codes below:

DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.

• Press : *113*30*9#  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
  • Press : *113*60*9#  for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
  • Press : *113*90*9#  for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
  • Press : *113*180*9#  for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
  • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.

this works when in the US?

it will work even if the phone/SIM hasn't been used in Thailand for 1 year?

as I recall, when I *Was there, and spoke with a CS person, they had to override something to get me 1 year or so..

well fwiw with DTAC I have some 300baht on the SIM, it does allow me to do; FROM *Outside Thailand

Press : *113*30*9#  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht

but not *113*60*9#  on the 30 days

I then get back the cryptic "day give away service has extended 30 validity days and 2 baht fee applied"  ......which seems confirmed on the DTAC web site, though

using one DTAC code  from mobiltopup.com

"

To check your date of SIM expiry you can use these USSD codes:

•  
  • DTAC – *101*9# "

does NOT give Sim date, seems to get when the Thai Baht balance expires, which I don't understand, as it was a later date than the SIM expiry

sigh

guess I can just keep doing 30 day extensions indefinitely since its only 2 baht and so don't need *whatever the vague mobiletopup.com is supposed to be doing

Edited by mooping20Baht
asdf
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 2:16 AM, mooping20Baht said:

*whatever the vague mobiletopup.com is supposed to be doing

They do nothing vague...  You can just topup your sim card there, that is all. It is really great because it also works from abroad.  I have several sim cards from different countries I sometimes visit, and that website really helps.

Of course the balance gets bigger on these cards, but it is small money and when I visit I can use it to buy an internet bundle.

I have no experiences with DTAC, but with True you can use all codes (also for half a year) from abroad. AIS is bad, because keeping the cards valid is more expensive.

On 10/3/2020 at 1:16 AM, mooping20Baht said:

well fwiw with DTAC I have some 300baht on the SIM, it does allow me to do; FROM *Outside Thailand

Press : *113*30*9#  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht

but not *113*60*9#  on the 30 days

I then get back the cryptic "day give away service has extended 30 validity days and 2 baht fee applied"  ......which seems confirmed on the DTAC web site, though

using one DTAC code  from mobiltopup.com

"

To check your date of SIM expiry you can use these USSD codes:

•  
  • DTAC – *101*9# "

does NOT give Sim date, seems to get when the Thai Baht balance expires, which I don't understand, as it was a later date than the SIM expiry

sigh

guess I can just keep doing 30 day extensions indefinitely since its only 2 baht and so don't need *whatever the vague mobiletopup.com is supposed to be doing

Use the MyDtac service: https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/login

You can then check your balance and expiry date and extend your validity up to the full 365 days.

Here I am (the same as others) in Australia and not able to travel to Thailand I was getting concerned about losing my Dtac and True phone numbers so I read this thread and managed to extend validity of both numbers. Here is what I did and it worked pretty much as described earlier.

Went online at KBank and and topped up each phone account by 50 baht. That gave me 1 Month on Dtac and 2 Months on True.

Then put in the Dtac sim into an old phone and ran code *113*180*9# and it further extended validly another 180 days. Cost 12 baht. So that is 7 Months total. Then I sent a text to myself to show/keep activity. Then ran code *101*9# and got the balance and expiry date, it was correct.

Then I did the same with the True sim. Ran code *934*180# and it extended validity a further 180 days. Cost 12 baht. But my initial 50 baht top up gave me 60 days in the first place so actually I am ok for 8 Months. Sent a text to show/keep activity. Then ran code #123# to check balance and it was all confirmed.

It all worked, Dtac is extended until May 2021 and True is extended to June 2021. I need both for my internet banking.

Cheers and thanks for the guidance on the thread.????

Edited by bmanly
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

AIS

For extending AIS I just topped up my phone number via my Thai's bank app. The minimum to extend validity 1 month is a 10 TBH top-up (can be done at the orange machines outside of 7-11s in Thailand), however my bank's minimum top-up amount is 20 baht.

So I made several 20 baht top-ups within minutes right one after another and confirmed each one with *121# which would then show me the new validity date. Worked perfectly to extend validity by 30 days each time.

I also made one 100 TBH top-up since I needed some more credit for roaming, and received 30 days validity extension only, same as the 20 TBH top-ups.

Edited by Barley
  • Thanks 1

A very good summary of extending validity for Thai SIM cards can be found here:

https://medium.com/mobiletopup/prepaid-sim-validity-in-thailand-b4de14269238

There is one question which I haven't found an authoritative answer on: Do Thai SIM cards need activity to stay active?

Right now I send an SMS from the country I am in to a different mobile number in the same country every 60-90 days to keep my cards active.

I think this is needed for AIS, but it may not be needed for True - but I am not sure. If someone would have an authoritative answer, I would be happy to see it.

1 hour ago, Barley said:

A very good summary of extending validity for Thai SIM cards can be found here:

https://medium.com/mobiletopup/prepaid-sim-validity-in-thailand-b4de14269238

There is one question which I haven't found an authoritative answer on: Do Thai SIM cards need activity to stay active?

Right now I send an SMS from the country I am in to a different mobile number in the same country every 60-90 days to keep my cards active.

I think this is needed for AIS, but it may not be needed for True - but I am not sure. If someone would have an authoritative answer, I would be happy to see it.

No, they don't. Validity days are enough.

• Thanks 1