Prepaid SIM card validity

Barley

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Staff in Thai shops generally know nothing about their products.

correct you are ALWAYS better off checking it out online wherever possible

• Like 1

I too use DTAC (about 12 years with same number) and never had a problem. I just make sure the number is valid (by top-ups or just paying for an extension) for the period I will be out of the country. No problemo.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chivas said:

Tourist Sim will advance a year if you follow my instructions a couple of posts back and use the correct short code that actually works. Not sure how much clearer I could make that before

You need to be able to read and comprehend

Older Tourist SIMs didn't have the restriction of only being able to have 90 days of validity in advance.

I also remember a post of yours stating that you managed to change your Tourist SIM promo to another. So then no longer under Tourist SIM conditions.

As to your claim of being able to extend a 90 days validity Tourist SIM beyond ninety days, I just tested it on my 90 day validity SIM.

Validity changed from the 06/07/18 to 02/08/18

By no stretch of that imagination is that 30 days.

Apologies for the picture quality.

WP_20180504_16_31_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20180504_16_33_18_Pro.jpg

18 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

AIS NetMarathon SIM,

6 months validity + 6 months internet = 600bht

1 year validity + 1 year internet access = 1,200bht

Bought one 2 months back, no topups required while your internet access is valid.

Staff in Thai shops generally know nothing about their products.

I imagine that they are referring to a basic SIM that extends validity to the max with a single top up.

With the Marathon SIM, what happens after the first year?

53 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I imagine that they are referring to a basic SIM that extends validity to the max with a single top up.

With the Marathon SIM, what happens after the first year?

Works like any other AIS SIM, 20bht top-up at an AIS machine, or 10+3bht top-up at the odd looking 7-11 machine for 1 month validity. 

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Works like any other AIS SIM, 20bht top-up at an AIS machine, or 10+3bht top-up at the odd looking 7-11 machine for 1 month validity. 

10 baht + 2 baht around here.

That what I thought. No SIMs that extend to the max with a single top up any more is what Barley sought.

I haven't looked for myself, so can't confirm there are none.

I topped up my AIS card yesterday, and it is now valid until 03/05/2019.

AIS also sell vouchers, but I am not sure if you can use them to top up from outside Thailand.

Of course, if you have a Thai bank account, and internet banking, you can always top-up online if you are out of the country for any length of time. So if you topped up say one month before it is due to expire, it should extend it another year.

Edited by phetphet

I think a lot of the confusion comes in because of the different SIMs.

1.) Tourist SIMs which have a validity of several weeks to 3 months but some report that they can be converted to a regular SIM or extended by USSD codes at 2TBH /30 days

There may also be old Tourist SIMs which follow different rules.

2.) Regular SIMs which have a beginning validity of at least one month and can be extended by 10TBH top ups for 30 days up to at least a year or by USSD codes at 2TBH /30 days. Some report even longer.

There may also be old regular SIMs which follow different rules.

3.) Special long term SIMs like dtac"s Simply2Baht where every top up extends the validity to 365 days from the date of last top up.

It is unclear if these SIMs can still be purveyed.

Does Thailand have any GSM operators offering schemes where you have a fixed amount to pay monthly, unlimited validity for your line and no need for all the Top Up mess and that offers you unlimited local calls, sms and surfing  ? ? ?...

If yes, what are the requirements to be eligible ?

Such schemes exist in many countries around the world....

Edited by observer90210

On 04/05/2018 at 10:55 AM, KneeDeep said:

You need to be able to read and comprehend

I also remember a post of yours stating that you managed to change your Tourist SIM promo to another. So then no longer under Tourist SIM conditions.

As to your claim of being able to extend a 90 days validity Tourist SIM beyond ninety days, I just tested it on my 90 day validity SIM.

Validity changed from the 06/07/18 to 02/08/18

By no stretch of that imagination is that 30 days.

Apologies for the picture quality.

WP_20180504_16_31_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20180504_16_33_18_Pro.jpg

What on earth are you burbling about now lol true promo and I changed sim   ??
Same Sim since 2013  when true staff were handing them out on the airbridge coming off Oman air. Tourist Sim simple as

It will advance 12 months simple as. It might go further for all I know but 12 months it certainly does. Its currently topped up to late october using the month by month advancement 2 baht a pop via short code already posted here. No idea why yours doesnt work  ??  Perhaps it doesnt like you

8 hours ago, Chivas said:

What on earth are you burbling about now lol true promo and I changed sim   ??
Same Sim since 2013  when true staff were handing them out on the airbridge coming off Oman air. Tourist Sim simple as

It will advance 12 months simple as. It might go further for all I know but 12 months it certainly does. Its currently topped up to late october using the month by month advancement 2 baht a pop via short code already posted here. No idea why yours doesnt work  ??  Perhaps it doesnt like you

Gosh you don't catch on quick....

For the third time;

Older Tourist SIMs didn't have the restriction of only being able to have 90 days of validity in advance.

This would include the free Tourist SIMs that used to be handed out as you left the airbridge of certain Middle Eastern airlines.

These differed from the 'paid for' Tourist SIM in that they charged 1.5 baht for International calls(to UK landlines for example), as opposed to 1 baht.

The 90 day restriction is a more recent policy, which is why we haven't seen posts complaining about such a restriction in the past.

So don't assume that just because your SIM can be extended, that all others  can do the same.

As to you only being able to utilise *934*30# to extend, I'll hold off explaining why to save you from embarrassment.

On 05/05/2018 at 1:55 AM, observer90210 said:

Does Thailand have any GSM operators offering schemes where you have a fixed amount to pay monthly, unlimited validity for your line and no need for all the Top Up mess and that offers you unlimited local calls, sms and surfing  ? ? ?...

I think so. These are post-paid accounts, and all three major operators here offer those. Typically the contract runs for 12 months, then month-to-month. But, again, typically, these offer a fixed amount of voice minutes per month, and full-speed data volume by GB per month, with SMS extra. Calls to fixed lines may also be extra. There are scads of post-paid promotions and add-ons, some of which might offer unlimited calling, usually on-net, to a set of limited numbers, with/without time-of-day restrictions.

The requirements vary by operator, but generally speaking, it may help to have a valid long-term visa/extension of stay at a minimum. AFAIK, there is no real credit verification. You can pay by CC, bank transfer, internet banking, in person, third-party, bank kiosk, operator kiosk.

Validity is extended month to month, and assuming you pay your bill, indefinitely.

Regarding Tourist SIMs, which I generally discourage (better to just pay 50 baht for standard SIM) - but some absolutely need a SIM at the airport on arrival - I have successfully converted a TrueMove H Tourist SIM, and a DTAC/Happy Tourist SIM, to a standard SIM by visiting a full-service shop. I think they replaced the physical SIM, then remapped the existing number to the new SIM, for no charge. That said, I did this a few years ago, but both SIMs are still working and I extend them each month to +365 days with a 10 baht top-up (12 baht with the 2 baht fee) at a Boonterm machine. I don't know if this service remains an option as of today?

I maintain ~ 14 SIMs for family, friends, colleagues who visit. Some I keep for loaners, others are in their possession.

boonterm.jpg

On 5/5/2018 at 1:55 AM, observer90210 said:

Talking with Thai friends, it seems these plans are cheaper per minute than prepaid. 

On 04/05/2018 at 7:55 PM, observer90210 said:

https://th.linemobile.com/en/packages

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

Talking with Thai friends, it seems these plans are cheaper per minute than prepaid. 

If you have a handle on your calling patterns, with some sort of historical record, and your patterns/usage are consistent, then you can easily match up the most cost-effective promotion, be it pre-paid or post-paid. It really depends on your usage. Do you call many people for a short amount of time, fewer people for longer periods, are they on the same network, what time of day, etc.

5 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Gosh you don't catch on quick....

For the third time;

This would include the free Tourist SIMs that used to be handed out as you left the airbridge of certain Middle Eastern airlines.

These differed from the 'paid for' Tourist SIM in that they charged 1.5 baht for International calls(to UK landlines for example), as opposed to 1 baht.

The 90 day restriction is a more recent policy, which is why we haven't seen posts complaining about such a restriction in the past.

So don't assume that just because your SIM can be extended, that all others  can do the same.

As to you only being able to utilise *934*30# to extend, I'll hold off explaining why to save you from embarrassment.

lol you really are stupid. So my lads tourist Sim from True collected at Survanabhumbi in 2016 for his iphone was advanced to 2017 to allow him to use it 11 months later and in summer of 2017 advanced again to summer 2018. Now what is it you cant grasp here ??

You CAN ADVANCE A TRUE SIM FOR AT LEAST 1 YEAR.....go and read any of the proper forums dedicated to true. Right just for you and for the last time use the 1 month 2 baht option to advance it 1 month at a time rather than 6 months at a time at 12 baht which you claim doesnt work (not that I have seen anyone else claim the same)

Out......

Edited to add if you are so bent out of shape over true go and use dtac or ais which have similar 1 year advancements. The long winter nights must just fly by

Edited by Chivas

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

So my lads tourist Sim from True collected at Survanabhumbi in 2016 for his iphone was advanced to 2017 to allow him to use it 11 months later and in summer of 2017 advanced again to summer 2018. Now what is it you cant grasp here ??

You CAN ADVANCE A TRUE SIM FOR AT LEAST 1 YEAR.....go and read any of the proper forums dedicated to true. Right just for you and for the last time use the 1 month 2 baht option to advance it 1 month at a time rather than 6 months at a time at 12 baht which you claim doesnt work (not that I have seen anyone else claim the same)

Out......

Edited to add if you are so bent out of shape over true go and use dtac or ais which have similar 1 year advancements. The long winter nights must just fly by

I just showed you and proved that my Tourist Inter SIM from 2016 doesn't advance beyond 90 days.

I used exactly the method that you prescribed, which is why you can see 2.14 Baht missing from my balance.

At no point have I suggested that the 6 month 12.84 baht addition doesn't work for anyone. 

Yet in your post you have suggested that I have. Show me where.

Now you've just come up with some story about "your lad's SIM".

Show the SIM and the evidence, instead of coming up with your usual 'anecdotes'.

Like your insistence that a certain Middle Eastern airline only allowed hold luggage of a maximum of 15kgs per piece.

You argued until you were blue in the face and then proceeded to blame others until your were proved wrong.

I've seen other examples from you over the years.

Now here we have your totally stupid advice to add a month at a time.

No! If the SIM can advance for a year, there is no need to add a month at at time using *934*30#

You can equally utilise *934*90# & *934*180# for 90 and 180 days respectively.

If it's a 90 day SIM, then 90 days is as far as it will go. Yours is no smart hack. 

You seem too thick to realise that some SIMs just have that 90 day advance validity period.

You seem to be just one of those people who will make up stories to save face on a forum.

Your nonsense statement of my SIM not advancing beyond 90 days "because it doesn't like you" seems volumes about your level of maturity.

Edited by KneeDeep

So in 2017 you were telling us that your SIM doesn't advance beyond 90 days and here you are telling us that you've had the same SIM since 2013 and you have always been able to extend it to twelve months.

In this very thread you are claiming that you've been using the 30 day advancement method for "several years".

How can that be if you were telling us last year that your SIM went no further than 90 days?

Get your story straight before you put it in writing.

Edited by KneeDeep

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 6:17 PM, phetphet said:

Of course, if you have a Thai bank account, and internet banking, you can always top-up online if you are out of the country for any length of time. So if you topped up say one month before it is due to expire, it should extend it another year.

Western owned and operated MobileTopup.com has been one of the quickest and easiest ways if you have a Credit / Debit card.   Also you can now get validity amounts of 90, 180 and 360 days for any True Move, DTAC or AIS sim online. 

Also you can now get validity amounts of 90, 180 and 360 days for any True Move, DTAC or AIS sim online. 

It's a good service if you want to extend without hassle.

Otherwise for the 6 months validity they have a 49Tbh surcharge which one can save by doing six 10 or 20 Tbh top ups oneself.

They also can only extend up to the natural 360 day from purchase life limit of a prepaid Sim card.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Barley said:

Otherwise for the 6 months validity they have a 49Tbh surcharge which one can save by doing six 10 or 20 Tbh top ups oneself.

True - for 6 months you're paying 16.9 Baht for 10 Baht of topup.  If you go to the Boonterm machines seems you're paying 12 or 13 Baht for the same. Total 72  Baht or more.  So seems the additional 27 Baht is for the convenience.  Might be worth it for some, especially if you're not in Thailand. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 4:12 PM, Jdietz said:

AIS seems to be the odd one out, but there you go:

Source: http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/

How do I extend the expiry date validity of my SIM?

• Check your Validity

To check your date of expiry you can use these USSD codes:

• AIS –  *121#
  • DTAC – *101*9#
  • True – #123#

Extend your SIM’s validity

To extend your validity:

• AIS
    • Add 10 Baht credit for 30 Days Validity
    • Alternative method: Dial *500*9#  Add 30 days validity for 30 THB via Mao Mao package
  • DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.
    • Press : *113*30*9# for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : *113*60*9# for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
    • Press : *113*90*9# for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : *113*180*9# for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
    • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.
  • TrueMove H –  “Quick Add” Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month
    • Press : * 934 * 30 # for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 90 # for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 180 # for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
    •  

True cannot be extended for more than 3 months.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 3:57 PM, cookai said:

Western owned and operated MobileTopup.com has been one of the quickest and easiest ways if you have a Credit / Debit card.   Also you can now get validity amounts of 90, 180 and 360 days for any True Move, DTAC or AIS sim online. 

I tried all possible ways, from orange Boonterm machines to online, and it is NOT possible to extend true sim cards for more than 3 months.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 12:36 AM, gaff said:

I tried all possible ways, from orange Boonterm machines to online, and it is NOT possible to extend true sim cards for more than 3 months.

Are you trying to extend the True tourist card?  If so, this might be why.  Otherwise any local SIM from True, DTAC or AIS can have 1 year maximum validity.   If you have a tourist card, suggest you call the call center and see if they can convert your package to a local package. 

• Confused 1

On 7/4/2018 at 6:36 PM, gaff said:

you are doing something wrong then.....i have one of these tourist sims from 2013 and it extends up to 12 months like all the rest. In march i extended it to till october

• Confused 1

Hi, I can also confirm that no true sim card can be extended for more than 3 months at 7/11 Boonterm machine, this is a fact.

If anybody has been able to extend validity for more than 3 months, it could only be because you topup a lot of money, and still, I am not sure that you will be able to extend for more than 3 months, at least not at 711 machines, for any amount you will topup.

11 hours ago, goegoe said:

Hi, I can also confirm that no true sim card can be extended for more than 3 months at 7/11 Boonterm machine, this is a fact.

If anybody has been able to extend validity for more than 3 months, it could only be because you topup a lot of money, and still, I am not sure that you will be able to extend for more than 3 months, at least not at 711 machines, for any amount you will topup.

The NBTC passed this rule a fews years back, with a goal of simplifying the confusing validity plans, that ALL Thai SIMs ( at least for the domestic market) should at minimum give 30 days of validity for a topup of any value.  

There one case, where User A sends from their balance to User B, where no validity is extended.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 11:30 PM, goegoe said:

Ok, so after speaking with the True Move Call center - True Move Tourist SIMs can NOT be extended more than 90 days. 

However - you can request to change from your "Tourist SIM" package to one of the local monthly package by dialing *9305 .  Once you you have switched your package to a local one, your SIM should follow the rules of a local True Move SIM. 

On 7/24/2018 at 8:15 AM, Chivas said:

you are doing something wrong t

On 7/24/2018 at 8:15 AM, Chivas said:

you are doing something wrong then.....i have one of these tourist sims from 2013 and it extends up to 12 months like all the rest. In march i extended it to till october

hen.....i have one of these tourist sims from 2013 and it extends up to 12 months like all the rest. In march i extended it to till october

Don't you remember that you got busted for lying on this very thread, on this very page?

Why do you feel the need?