Work permit needed if the work is clearly outside Thailand ?

Hello all,

I've been working in Thailand for a Thai foundation and my job for this foundation will end in June.

First question: My Work Permit expires in August and the Non-Imm Ovisa in Feb 2019, so can I keep both of them until they expire or should it be cancelled in June (when my contract ends)?

Second question: I am proposed to work as a consultant in Myanmar for short-time periods (eg 1 week every 2 months). So I will clearly work outside Thailand, so can you confirm that I won't need a WP anymore? (I won't have any other job in Thailand).

Thanks !

12 minutes ago, thing31 said:

Hi Overherebc,

I have a 1 year visa, I don't report every 90 days (I used to go out the country often so every I come back, I get a new 3 month-stamp).

Then your visa will stay valid until use by/enter by date.

No WP needed to work outside Thailand.

Edit.

Don't let anyone try to convince you that they must cancel your 'visa.'

If it had been an extension of stay ( 90 day reports ) then yes it would end the same day as the WP if work was the basis for the extension.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot Overherebc !

I understand your point, but it seems strange to have still my Non Imm O visa until Feb 2019 while I won't work in Thailand (I would simply work in Myanmar for short periods of time as consultant as I said). So are you sure there wouldn't be any trouble (from the immigration) when I will apply for another type of visa in Feb. 2019?

6 minutes ago, thing31 said:

Thanks a lot Overherebc !

I understand your point, but it seems strange to have still my Non Imm O visa until Feb 2019 while I won't work in Thailand (I would simply work in Myanmar for short periods of time as consultant as I said). So are you sure there wouldn't be any trouble (from the immigration) when I will apply for another type of visa in Feb. 2019?

Always worked on Non O multi visas, many years, in Thailand and also worked in Korea, Laos, Cambodia etc.

Travelled in and out of Thailand with and without WP and never had a problem, except the IO stamping 30 instead of 90 days, once.

Don't forget if you out/in just before your enter by date you still get 90 days so the visa lasts 15 months.

6 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Hmm. I thought everyone needed a 'B' visa to work.  Is it true you can get a WP on Non'O' visa?

When I was teaching I had to change my Non 'O' to B.

There is no requirement for it to be a non-b visa. All that is required is a non immigrant visa entry to apply for a work permit or extension of stay based upon work or teaching.

If married to a Thai you can get a work permit and work on a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage. 

Volunteers get a non-o visa. They can get a work permit with it also.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thing31 said:

You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever getting a new visa in Feb 2019. You current visa won't have any bearing on the application.

The 'O' stands for 'Other'. This category of visa is issued for many reasons; voluntary work being one. When your voluntary work ends it doesn't affect your 90 permission to stay so you can stay until the end of the 90 days. As long as the reason for the visa being issued isn't written on the visa, which it normally isn't, you should have no problem using it until it expires.

On 4/30/2018 at 4:43 PM, elviajero said:

You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever getting a new visa in Feb 2019. You current visa won't have any bearing on the application.

The 'O' stands for 'Other'. This category of visa is issued for many reasons; voluntary work being one. When your voluntary work ends it doesn't affect your 90 permission to stay so you can stay until the end of the 90 days. As long as the reason for the visa being issued isn't written on the visa, which it normally isn't, you should have no problem using it until it expires.

Thanks, Elviajero !

So, to summarise, what you mean is: no problem until the end of 90 days, and certainly no problem until the visa expires (Feb 2019). Is that what you mean ?

On 4/30/2018 at 2:52 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement for it to be a non-b visa. All that is required is a non immigrant visa entry to apply for a work permit or extension of stay based upon work or teaching.

If married to a Thai you can get a work permit and work on a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage. 

Volunteers get a non-o visa. They can get a work permit with it also.

Thanks Ubonjoe,

Yes, you're right. However, I am surprised when you say "If married to a Thai you can get a work permit and work on a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage.". Can you explain a little more ? In what case it is possible and legal ?

13 minutes ago, thing31 said:

Thanks Ubonjoe,

Yes, you're right. However, I am surprised when you say "If married to a Thai you can get a work permit and work on a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage.". Can you explain a little more ? In what case it is possible and legal ?

It is legal if a person has a job that qualifies them to get a work permit.

8 hours ago, thing31 said:

Thanks, Elviajero !

So, to summarise, what you mean is: no problem until the end of 90 days, and certainly no problem until the visa expires (Feb 2019). Is that what you mean ?

You should have no problem until the end of the 90 days.

I can't say "certainly no problem" to keep using the visa until Feb 19, because you are no longer staying in the country for the purpose the visa/permission to stay was granted. However, as a rule, immigration don't cancel entry visas after they've been issued even when the reason for issue ends, so you 'should have no problem'. Sometimes IO's at the border ask the reason you are entering the country. If that happens you need to say voluntary work or any other reason you might qualify for a non 'O' visa. If you say voluntary work bear in mind that they may ask to see your work permit and could (highly unlikely) deny you entry if you don't have one.

I'm not trying to worry you, you should be ok using the visa until Feb 19; just giving you the full facts.

8 hours ago, thing31 said:

Permission to work is granted by the labour department and permission to stay is granted by immigration. They are two separate processes. The labour department will only issue a WP to someone with a qualifying job/employer and a non-immigrant visa/entry. Usually you need a category 'B' visa/entry, however, if someone is the spouse or parent of a Thai the labour office will allow a category 'O' visa/entry.

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You should have no problem until the end of the 90 days.

I can't say "certainly no problem" to keep using the visa until Feb 19, because you are no longer staying in the country for the purpose the visa/permission to stay was granted. However, as a rule, immigration don't cancel entry visas after they've been issued even when the reason for issue ends, so you 'should have no problem'. Sometimes IO's at the border ask the reason you are entering the country. If that happens you need to say voluntary work or any other reason you might qualify for a non 'O' visa. If you say voluntary work bear in mind that they may ask to see your work permit and could (highly unlikely) deny you entry if you don't have one.

I'm not trying to worry you, you should be ok using the visa until Feb 19; just giving you the full facts.

Permission to work is granted by the labour department and permission to stay is granted by immigration. They are two separate processes. The labour department will only issue a WP to someone with a qualifying job/employer and a non-immigrant visa/entry. Usually you need a category 'B' visa/entry, however, if someone is the spouse or parent of a Thai the labour office will allow a category 'O' visa/entry.

Been working with WP's issued on Non 0 multi entry visas for years. Since about 2003.

Never been asked any questions by Imm' on entry by land or through the airports.

Imm' have no input or interest in WP's when you leave and re-enter.

51 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Been working with WP's issued on Non 0 multi entry visas for years. Since about 2003.

Never been asked any questions by Imm' on entry by land or through the airports.

Imm' have no input or interest in WP's when you leave and re-enter.

You’re entering with a non ‘O’ and are presumably married so they wouldn’t deny you entry for not having a WP. The wouldn’t know you are working unless you told them.

I was simply warning the OP that if he says his reason for entry is work and he doesn’t have a WP it might cause problems.

Immigration do, on occasion, ask people entering with ME Non ‘B’ visa to see their WP.

Edited by elviajero

On 4/29/2018 at 11:24 PM, thing31 said:

Non Imm O visa

Non Imm O visa based on what? Family or other activity? If your visa is valid, you can leave Thailand today and renter again. No need to get a Tourist visa. 

Edited by onera1961