Public hearing on lottery packages held

webfact

Public hearing on lottery packages held

lot.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 30 April 2018 (NNT) – A public hearing on issuing lottery packages online has found most buyers want packs of five tickets each for 400 baht sold through vendors, while sellers want all lottery sales to be in packages. 

A sample of over 1,600 respondents at the hearing saw 70 percent agreeing with the sale of lottery tickets in packages, with most believing the packs would help remedy the issue of overpricing. A majority of respondents voiced support for the Government Lottery Office (GLO) in issuing lottery tickets in packages. 

The proposed packages would be five tickets worth 80 baht each, or 400 baht in total, to be sold to vendors for 350 baht per pack. Buyers questioned during the hearing said they wanted to purchase their tickets from regular vendors but sellers said they wanted all lottery tickets to be sold in packages. 

On May 7, the GLO is to hold a seminar on the lottery ticket packages and has invited academics, as well as vendors and NGOs that represent disabled sellers. Members of the public will also be allowed to express opinions at the seminar. Following initial discussions, the seminar will take place in the north, central, south and northeastern regions to achieve a clearer picture of opinions before the government’s lottery commission begins to finalize the matter in June. The GLO has said that the public hearing phase will not be extended.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-30

When will they drag themselves into this century and make it an online system  where you can choose your own numbers say for example 6 numbers  from the range 1 - 46  get a print out there and then  or just an online/phone receipt... it almost happened years ago..now with all the 4.0 hype maybe it can finally become reality ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, johng said:

When will they drag themselves into this century and make it an online system  where you can choose your own numbers say for example 6 numbers  from the range 1 - 46  get a print out there and then  or just an online/phone receipt... it almost happened years ago..now with all the 4.0 hype maybe it can finally become reality ?

Back in May 2015 they talked about introducing an online system. As with everything in Thailand there is always much tongue flapping accompanied by press announcents after which nothing happens.viz. high speed trains.

Similarly at about the same time the PM invoked his famous Article 44 to fix the lottery problems. As at today it stands as yet another of the PM's many unfulfilled promises.

Edited by Cadbury
  • Like 1

Stop talking and move over, yesterday I went to one market in a military barracks and what??? Even in front of the police officers (MP), the sellers ask by selling of packs 100 baht per tickets. I'm sure they will continue like that because in Thailand someone makes the law but none like to follow it.

Back in May 2015 they talked about introducing an online system. As with everything in Thailand there is always much tongue flapping accompanied by press announcents after which nothing happens.viz. high speed trains.
Similarly at about the same time the PM invoked his famous Article 44 to fix the lottery problems. As at today it stands as yet another of the PM's many unfulfilled promises.
[/url]  

On-line lottery equipment (computer system and vendor terminals) was installed during Thaksin’s time but not started up primarily because of the coup. I’m sure there are a lot of expensive paperweights lying around the country.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

The lottery provides a form of employment (perhaps better described as an occupation) and a basic income to a significant number of people who quite probably would otherwise be a charge on the funds for the destitute - and we all know how well that works don't we?

The two I buy from (at the behest of "best beloved" - numbers chosen by a method known only to her and her father), are an elderly lady and an (extremely pretty but sadly very thick) young lady. Both are, I would hazard, unemployable.

I know that "middlemen" are creaming off a lot of the profits. I appreciate that the printed tickets are cumbersome, outdated and quaint, but I quite like that, (perhaps because I am cumbersome, outdated and quaint). Does anyone think that an online lottery here will not have some group of people in the process of administering it who do not take a cut? I would rather that the profits at the point of sale should go to the old lady and the pretty simpleton rather than to Big C and 7/11.

JAG - many lotteries around the world have employed underprivileged people, similar to here. Technology has adapted to this by having terminals in c-stores and the like while also issuing handheld units to the underprivileged sellers. They removed the “middlemen” from the equation and the need for printing and distribution of paper tickets.

I’m not a mathematician, but I’ve always wondered about the price of lottery tickets. In the USA, tickets are about 1/3 the cost of Thailand, but it seems the payouts are greater. I know some of that is due to size of populations, but ...hmmmm

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect