The Good Shepherd Phuket Learning Centre requires urgent funding

webfact

The Good Shepherd Phuket Learning Centre requires urgent funding

By Donna Toon

The-Good-Shepherd-1-960x580.jpg  

The fate of the Good Shepherd Learning Centre Phuket is a matter of concern. The Centre has an urgent need to obtain sustainable funds to continue operations as its initial period of regular, committed funding will cease in May 2018.

At The Good Shepherd Learning Centre they provide basic education i.e. science, mathematics and language skills in Thai, Burmese and English to the children of Burmese migrant workers in Phuket, Thailand. They provide the education in a safe and happy environment, educate them on their rights as children and migrants, and help them integrate into the Thai school system or to be able to integrate into the Burmese public school system for those who return to their country of origin.

Above is only one of many situations the migrants are facing here in Phuket and Thailand. More than 60,000 foreign migrants (mostly Burmese) are currently living and working in Phuket, in very poor conditions. Because they are undocumented, they are marginalised, have unstable jobs and lack healthcare services.

“The children look forward to coming to the centre every day because it is a safe place for them to play, learn and be fed a warm meal. Every day they cook 17 kg of rice. It costs USD$12,225 (385,000 baht) a month to operate the centre, which includes staff salaries,” Sister Lakana explained as she lamented on the hopeless situation and living conditions faced by these families.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/the-good-shepherd-phuket-learning-centre-requires-urgent-funding

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger Full story:

I probably can't say what I think and the bad I have seen what some of the religious based 'helping' organisations have done even here in Phuket. 

I just hope there would be helping organisations without links to churches and other similar orgs with their own agenda, except helping the people in need. 

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

I probably can't say what I think and the bad I have seen what some of the religious based 'helping' organisations have done even here in Phuket. 

I just hope there would be helping organisations without links to churches and other similar orgs with their own agenda, except helping the people in need. 

Agree.  I can't say what I said already.  Guess you read it.

On some internet forums similar to this one, sometimes even an opinion, based on facts and truth, when said with no racial or bigoted views, expressing real care for Thailand, it's culture,  and poor children and their families..... requires someone to quite rightly remove it. 

Where as 'maybe' people on another thread, on a totally different site or course, were saying I and other gays should be killed and murdered as in Saudi, and my children should be taken into care as gays are basically immoral........those posts were perfectly acceptable.  I have to say I am not referring to Thai Visa.. which I always consider a great and fantastic unbiased forum.

Edited by jak2002003

14 hours ago, oilinki said:

You should go & see for yourself. The sister is tireless in her help for the kids & they certainly do not slam religion down their throats, just give the kids some joy, learning & survival skills which they would never have the chance to get otherwise. To see the joy on their faces is a sight to behold especially if one can imagine their normal living conditions for which GSLC gives them some respite. Everyone who goes there cannot help but be touched in their hearts.

• Like 2

Valentine, I am sure the Sister and her colleagues work tirelessly to help these needy children.  But why oh why is it linked to religion?  In that photo I can see a statue of Jesus? in the background.  Most Thais and the majority of Burmese are not Christian.

Please, let's all help needy kids in whatever way we can.  But keep religion out of it!  Let a child decide when they are of adult age what (if any) religion they wish to follow. Don't 'corrupt' their innocent minds.

(I say this as someone who does a lot of educational charity work in Myanmar).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/05/2018 at 4:32 AM, Valentine said:

You should go & see for yourself. The sister is tireless in her help for the kids & they certainly do not slam religion down their throats, just give the kids some joy, learning & survival skills which they would never have the chance to get otherwise. To see the joy on their faces is a sight to behold especially if one can imagine their normal living conditions for which GSLC gives them some respite. Everyone who goes there cannot help but be touched in their hearts.

Aren't they linked to Good Shepherd's in Bangkok? 

Sr. Louise there is getting plenty funding from what I see. May be it would be more useful to teach these migrant kids instead of "saving" sexworkers who go back to the street afterwards. This is part of the work Bangkok Shepherd's does. They are clever fundraisers.

15 hours ago, Letseng said:

Aren't they linked to Good Shepherd's in Bangkok? 

Sr. Louise there is getting plenty funding from what I see. May be it would be more useful to teach these migrant kids instead of "saving" sexworkers who go back to the street afterwards. This is part of the work Bangkok Shepherd's does. They are clever fundraisers.

I think you did not understand my post " give the kids some joy, learning & survival skills which they would never have the chance to get otherwise ". This is what they do. All those kids' parents work in construction or fishing. This is about Phuket not BKK. If you did understand then your cynical comment is extremely misplaced.

On 5/3/2018 at 6:21 AM, Valentine said:

I think you did not understand my post " give the kids some joy, learning & survival skills which they would never have the chance to get otherwise ". This is what they do. All those kids' parents work in construction or fishing. This is about Phuket not BKK. If you did understand then your cynical comment is extremely misplaced.

I think nobody disagrees that it's wonderful to give good education for the kids. That's not the problem.

The problem is the religious byproduct, which is deliberately infected to the kids while they are being treated of being weak and ignorant. 

That infection, for me, is child abuse. While mental abuse is not recognised in some cultures as bad as physical abuse, it's equally bad for the child's development. 

Give the kids education, ability to think openly = good.

Do the same with aim to infect them with religion = bad.

Being morally good is that simple.