YET ANOTHER Beer Tax Hike?

GanDoonToonPet

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

How about to reduce the social issue of Thai alcohol over consumption.. 

Which based on the 'boycott' tally in this thread alone seems to work. 

Thailand is no longer cheap.. Go earn more money, sort your finances out, or leave.. Its not here to accommodate  every unprepared pensioner.  

You are missing the points!

I am certainly no alcoholic, but I do like a drink and I enjoy wine.

This Pretend "Wine" which contains other fruit juices than grape is the issue. The tax and or the not so mysterious "Mark-UP" that greedy Thai vendors apply is unacceptable for what after all is at best a poor (Not Cheap) imitation of the real thing.

If people still want to GET "PISSED" as we say in the UK....they can go and buy Hong Thong, Sangsom or if you're really feeling the need "Black Cock" for peanuts.

So this ridiculous tax and the greedy "Vendors Markups" will never stop anyone drinking or reduce the amount they are drinking i.e.,  they will just switch to alternatives.

You also said "Thailand is no longer cheap.. Go earn more money, sort your finances out, or leave.. Its not here to accommodate  every unprepared pensioner." 

Just for the record I have got more than enough money. Also I am not a pensioner so if your remark was aimed directly at me I am afraid you are aiming at the wrong target!:tongue:

Hope you aren't Pissed?:cheesy:

Edited by Mario666
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I drank Archa a long time ago, but the beer tastes so strange that i switched to Leo.

Arch was 25 baht not too long ago, the big bottle. 

Now 47 Samui 7/11.

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

If your a beer and wine drinking brexit brit with pounds time to sober up. And as Mar Sol 4lt red at 780tb has disappeared from every corner of CM its coffee time stick the tax and dream of Asda.  

Haven't seen Mar Sol red in Buriram for 6 months.   The 4 ltr fitted nicely into the fridge door.

• Sad 2

Too expensive for table wine...Now it cost 999 baht to buy a 3 liter box of red wine Montclair...

And before it cost for a 5 liter box of the same wine 899 baht...

Too much tax is killing the product...

And of course these taxes goes where??

I let you guess!

No way...NO MORE WINE FOR ME!!!

Farang are not cowmilk!

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The Thai excise tax system is outrageous- The system is a type of Tariff on foreign products- including alcohol; pharmaceuticals; and virtually everything imported.  most US made products cost 5 times more in Thailand and I would imagine the same for Canada, Australia and Europe.  Yet, Thai products are hardly taxed at all in other developed countries.

How about some reciprocity. I am always quite surprised that the Australian-Thai trade agreement did not lower the prices on Australian goods in Thailand to include wine.

If you look on the Thai Customs site, they don't charge for imports from the suppliers from Australia, New Zealand and Chile, but they tax the importers instead, however, these increases don't make any sense from as described in the latest Customs change.

Maybe the kiddies have woken up that the ma-n-pa stores do not shut between 2 - 5 as was the Gov's intention to stop them from buying the demon drink? :burp:

Hope you are wrong about a universal price rise for Archa. :-(

On the 'fruit mixed' subject, this is my understanding:

The tax on *WINE* was different to that on alcoholic fruit juices. So some enterprising (mainly South African) producers labeled up their wine as alcoholic fruit juice - the fruit being grape. That bit of getting around the tax law was spotted and changed.

So in effect, it means that the 'correct' rate for wine has been applied to the alcoholic fermented grape juice, and then the duty rises applied to it as the wine product it is - leading to the eye-popping increases we've been witnessing.

My solution is to buy the grape juice and convert locally :-) - however, the price of grape juice has also risen. Whether that is due to that potential loop-hole being plugged, or many others are doing it, affecting supply, I can only guess. (Added to that, the Mont Clair 10 litre box, is pretty good value on a per glass basis and while still of modest quality, it is a better wine than it was a few years back).

I posted a similar topic about 6 weeks ago and it was completely destroyed by the "PC bleeding heart mob".

They were not interested in tax on beer and fags all they said was "give up" basically.

So much for the freedom of choice for adults. Good luck with this thread.

All the announced tax hikes on new stocks should have been introduced by now.

You don't say what your normal tipple is but around me Archer is 45 (in Seven/11) and a baht more in MaxValue/BigC when they have stock.

All brands (except for the awful Chang) seem to run out from time to time so we will see what happens.

:stoner::burp::biggrin:

10 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The Thai excise tax system is outrageous- The system is a type of Tariff on foreign products- including alcohol; pharmaceuticals; and virtually everything imported.  most US made products cost 5 times more in Thailand and I would imagine the same for Canada, Australia and Europe.  Yet, Thai products are hardly taxed at all in other developed countries.

How about some reciprocity. I am always quite surprised that the Australian-Thai trade agreement did not lower the prices on Australian goods in Thailand to include wine.

They don't tax importation, just tax retail prices. I bet that isn't in the agreements.

Thailand doesn't do reciprocity...

16 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

How about to reduce the social issue of Thai alcohol over consumption.. 

Which based on the 'boycott' tally in this thread alone seems to work. 

Thailand is no longer cheap.. Go earn more money, sort your finances out, or leave.. Its not here to accommodate  every unprepared pensioner.  

Unprepared pensioners probably still have way more disposable income than the average Thai people 

It's highly unfair to price them out of having a drink and the alcoholics will still be alcoholics because they will drink Lao Kao or something homemade for 10thb a glass

• Like 1

Still some prices going up. Wife runs small shop and both lao khao and a beer she bought last week from wholesalers were up 10-20 baht a case. But sometimes prices go down (price wars between suppliers?). If Archa goes up again (hasn't for us yet) try Beer U - it is a bit of an acquired taste, sweet, but cheaper than Archa ...

On the wine front yes prices are now not just high but extortionate. Very little selling anymore, but homebrewed wine now readily available from a friend of a friend ..... also grape juice for under 50 baht a litre, wonder what will happen if some yeast gets inside .......

I think the wine tax hike will backfire, home brewing is so easy.

• Like 1

My blend has gone up a few baht, not really enough for me to bother detailing it out in a post.  Beer is still very cheap here, i have no complaints.  If TPP was to hit here at least there would be some competition and pricing might not be to bad if they really adhear to the TPP agreement and not import tax it to death anyways.

23 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

So the tax increases are having the desired effect. Well done, General!

That's not the tax increase. Some idiot thinks just because the stuff is selling well, they can suddenly increase the price by 30%, I'm not having it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

These are virtually non existent now. Only Mont Clair in 3 litre cartons at 1000 Baht a time.

Everybody should boycott Montclair. I buy Castle Creek now, it is still less than a 1000 Baht for 5l.

• Like 1

Been buying the 2 litre Castle Creek for 450 baht  since the price of Montclair went through the roof, but yesterday the price skyrocketed to 550 baht. I think there are no cheaper options now, either pay it or become a teetotaller.

8 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Everybody should boycott Montclair. I buy Castle Creek now, it is still less than a 1000 Baht for 5l.

Agreed, but even that is like rocking horse doo daa in Hua Hin Now. Only 2 litre bottles/

9 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Once the current stocks of every wine run out completely I believe they will all be priced about the same.

The 'popular' brands are of course selling out before the others...

I went to Tesco today for the weekly (non alcohol) shop & browsed the booze isle. Tiger was still 104B for a double pack. I had to turn back before the wine section as the 3 staff stocking shelves formed an impenetrable barrier & displayed an indifference to my existence...a common occurrence.

Edited by GanDoonToonPet

19 hours ago, rickudon said:

Still some prices going up. Wife runs small shop and both lao khao and a beer she bought last week from wholesalers were up 10-20 baht a case. But sometimes prices go down (price wars between suppliers?). If Archa goes up again (hasn't for us yet) try Beer U - it is a bit of an acquired taste, sweet, but cheaper than Archa ...

On the wine front yes prices are now not just high but extortionate. Very little selling anymore, but homebrewed wine now readily available from a friend of a friend ..... also grape juice for under 50 baht a litre, wonder what will happen if some yeast gets inside .......

I think the wine tax hike will backfire, home brewing is so easy.

I went to the local BigC today and Archer is down to 44.

Wine seems to be targeted, as anything drinkable is imported.

:guitar:

15 hours ago, Tbone999 said:

What's the largest bottle of grape juice anyone has been able to buy and from where?

42 baht for a litre carton, Says no preservatives. But usually around 50 baht in most shops. I'm not saying where, as a local shop in Udon and supplies have been low of late. 

Edited by rickudon
left out text