Buying spare HD (internal) - where ?

THAILIBAN

Can anyone give a recommendation where I can buy an inexpensive spare HD (160GB is enough) for an older laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad)?

I want to use it as a backup device, but the HD is now faulty after many years.

I do not want to order online, I want to buy it in a physical shop, where they (or the shop next door) hopefully installs the HD for me incl a genuine OS.

Fortune or dodgy Pantip comes to my mind, but which shop there does sell such items and can be trusted? Any other stand-alone location in BKK or PTY would be fine too.

Thanks

First question, is the drive PATA (lots of pins) or SATA (not many pins)?

If it's PATA you may not be able to get a new drive so you're limited to the places selling used. For a SATA drive any of the big names (eg Banana IT) in Fortune should be able to help. 

Check on the net if your machine has a drive size limit (you may not be able to get one as small as 160G).

EDIT If you have to go used it's worth a ride out to Zeer Rangsit (past Don Mueang airport). Five floors of IT stuff including loads of used kit, supposedly the largest IT mall in Asia. 

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

First question, is the drive PATA (lots of pins) or SATA (not many pins)?

If it's PATA you may not be able to get a new drive so you're limited to the places selling used. For a SATA drive any of the big names (eg Banana IT) in Fortune should be able to help. 

Check on the net if your machine has a drive size limit (you may not be able to get one as small as 160G).

EDIT If you have to go used it's worth a ride out to Zeer Rangsit (past Don Mueang airport). Five floors of IT stuff including loads of used kit, supposedly the largest IT mall in Asia. 

Thanks, I did not know that ZEER is such a massive IT Monster.

Certainly worth a try then, not only for that HD. The problem of course is which shops you can actually trust

Archived