Is "Farang" Derogatory?

rdhowell

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

And yet you posted about it?

And you assumed that I am a happy, accepted, contributing member of my local moobahn? Really?

That's just too funny... I must go tell the mother-in-law.

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

There's a lot of racism in Asia.

At least you have that right.

56 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

A word can define race without being derogatory.

Such as farang. Agreed.

Loss of context... what happens when everyone communicates by smart phones and reading and believing only what that see in text on their smart phones and doesn't talk to anyone much.

My biggest gripe is the heads-down-texting-while-walking syndrome. If they can't even look anyone in the eye, how on earth can they know if it's a bloody farang or not?

33 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Yes definitely a Guava, If they want to compare me with a potato, I think they would say something like "man falang".

Sometimes, I remember the confusion when I was first called, 'mun kieow'

...but only sometimes.

19 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Farangs are considered inferior and there are derogatory words for asians, blacks etc

As you feel do strongly about the subject you should contact TVF staff and complain about your disgust at a TV Forum called "Farang and Pub"....Let us know what they say....bored.gif.2ef86e751ed964633d53777a797fd02e.gif

• Like 2

Just now, transam said:

As you feel do strongly about the subject you should contact TVF staff and complain about your disgust at a TV Forum called "Farang and Pub"....Let us know what they say....bored.gif.2ef86e751ed964633d53777a797fd02e.gif

But make sure the bouncers are on a night off or you won't get in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

You are

No, you are conflating your spinning with my pushing your buttons.

That's enough for now though. I am off with trans to the Farang Pub

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

No, you are conflating your spinning with my pushing your buttons.

That's enough for now though. I am off with trans to the Farang Pub

Suit yourself. Farang is a racist word.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Farangs are considered inferior and there are derogatory words for asians, blacks etc

Your generalizations on Thai's amount to racism, not all Thai's consider farangs inferior, and even if they did that would not make the word racist.  It doesn't matter how many white people think they are superior to black people, black can not become a derogatory word as a result.  And I addressed the issue about words that are designed to disparage, farang is not one of them.

45 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Suit yourself. Farang is a racist word.

A race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society. 

Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another.

A word that describes a group of humans based on their shared physical quality, in this case being white, meets the definition of a word that describes a race.  Perhaps you can explain how you think this word does anything to denote how anyone is feeling regarding racial superiority, but I bet you can't, you would have by now otherwise, rather that resorting to just insisting that it is so without further explanation.

17 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

A race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society. 

Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another.

A word that describes a group of humans based on their shared physical quality, in this case being white, meets the definition of a word that describes a race.  Perhaps you can explain how you think this word does anything to denote how anyone is feeling regarding racial superiority, but I bet you can't, you would have by now otherwise, rather that resorting to just insisting that it is so without further explanation.

Giving discounts based on race is racist.

By page 20 this may have been covered,   but anyway.  In Oz before the last Ashes series the ABC wondered if it was racist to refer to the English as Poms/Pommies.     The response was "give them the full title,  Pommy Bastar ds"     And everybody fell about laughing.

• Like 1

Blacks (Caribbean, African, etc) are Nigro

Indians are kaak india

Pakistan are kaak paki

Chinese are Jeen

Japanese are Yippon

Indonesians are kaak indo

Malaysians are kaak malay

Singaporeans are Jeen Singapore

Americans are farang

Europeans are farang

Russians are farang

Australians are farang

It's all just descriptive.

8 hours ago, Justfine said:

Giving discounts based on race is racist.

I thought you said that charging more was racist. Now it's giving discounts? Make your mind up.

Giving discounts is good economics IMHO.