Is "Farang" Derogatory?

rdhowell

I recently commented on a now closed thread about the word "farang." I suggested it was a derogatory term.

2 readers expressed "confusion", one expressed "sad."

Well, to help clear up the confusion, here are two perspectives:

"Farang is basically a neutral word, but people who respect you (or who should respect you) will not use it - if you hear a work colleague, for example, refer to you as farang they probably mean it as an insult while a taxi driver or market vendor doing the same is unlikely to mean any offense at all."

"While the Thai may say "Oh, we don't mean any offence, we say it in a nice way", the fact is that by not using skin colour, or nationality, and collectively lumping all western (anglosaxon derived) peoples as 'farang', there is both an implicit and overt tendency to join all three attributes. 

And, as farang is used in a derogatory manner at times, it clearly has a racist meaning. "

This is one perspective, mind you.

Would be interesting to hear what others think.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I was just yesterday called
"ai hear farung" by a moron driving his motorcycle sidecar on 2 wheels the sidecar raised 45 degrees to the road....no Idea why he called me a monitor lizard farung...but never mind sticks and stones etc

Why didn’t you reply:
Yet Mae, Mueng!
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, dinsdale said:

If being called farang bothers you it's time to leave.

Well it's not really about whether it bothers you or not the question is, is it derogatory? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Absolutely not. Perhaps some Farang might be "jai noi" and think the term is derogatory. 

Most farangs are jai noi, I do no say all of course, but most for sure:smile:

• Sad 2

No matter how it is said, it is derogatory. Any reference to a certain group of people, based on their appearance, is derogatory. If I was in my own country and called Thai people on the street "Brownie",  "Blackies", "Chestnut" etc. I would probably be attacked there and then.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s not offensive to me and I actually have saved some baht using the word.

a couple of times at venues where dual pricing is the norm I have spoken loudly enough for those nearby to hear and when accompanied by my Thai gf “1 Thai and 1 farang” which resulted in enough laughter in the booth that they let me in with the Thai price. “Winning” lol 

• Like 2