My friend told me he was not allowed entry if he did not buy on the spot a ticket going back to his home country in the 30 days ? is that common pratice ? at SVB

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

True, they are probably spending far more money into the Thai economy than the average tourist - likely greatly reducing pressure from the Issan-region, for more "wealth-distribution" from Bangkok. 

So, this person may be not only contributing to the economy, but doing so in a way that helps stabilize it politically, at the same time.  If logic prevailed, they should be given the red-carpet treatment.

But, seriously, it is a place in Thailand with relatively low-costs for a decent standard of living - an abundance of housing, shopping available, etc.  Costs are lower than Bangkok, less pollution, less traffic, better weather (cooler).  So, yes, a 35 yo might really be there for that reason.

Also a world class destination for perverts. Can't blame an IO who loves his country and hates what Pattaya represents. I accept that your comment is satire in jest.

A update about my friend : 

He was remained in the hall of queue in passport control, and he had to book a ticket back to his country and show him.

He didn't meet a senior officer.

He's doesn't work anything in Thailand ( and is true ) he's just work 5 months a year in Europe, and earn good money, he even showed 5400 euros cash to the IO about 205,000 Thai Bath, he told him I am only came spend money here.

He spend all the money into bar, girls, hotel, etc. 

He's dressed normal, jean's, and tee-shirt, not harsh looking at all, and he always polite to the Thai people.

8 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Also a world class destination for perverts. Can't blame an IO who loves his country and hates what Pattaya represents. I accept that your comment is satire in jest.

You know "what Pattaya represents" - at the core - existed before the Westerners and Neon-signs, yes?  Even now, most of "that business" serves the locals.  The attitude you are conveying is Victorian - not Thai.

And most of those guys in Pattaya bars are short-time visitors - exactly the kind Immigration leaves alone.  Longer-term folks are not in the flashy-areas every night - those are tourists - Immigration's favorites.  The 35 year old longer-term stayer likely won't be found there.

While the first 2 paragraphs are jest, in part - they are also true.  Consider how much money is piped directly from Pattaya to Issan.  And not just from "bar-girls" - but all the workers in other service-industries there.  Most Thais - and even most women - who work in Pattaya, are not in the "red light" industry.

And the 3rd paragraph is 100% serious.  I have lived in both Bangkok and Jomtien-Beach (just south of Pattaya) - and I'll take the fresh-air, ocean-breeze of Jomtien over Bangkok any day - and also find anything I need to shop for, see a movie, out for dinner, etc. 

I live in a smaller town now - like it here, too. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DavidJow said:

A update about my friend : 

He was remained in the hall of queue in passport control, and he had to book a ticket back to his country and show him.

He didn't meet a senior officer.

He's doesn't work anything in Thailand ( and is true ) he's just work 5 months a year in Europe, and earn good money, he even showed 5400 euros cash to the IO about 205,000 Thai Bath, he told him I am only came spend money here.

He spend all the money into bar, girls, hotel, etc. 

He's dressed normal, jean's, and tee-shirt, not harsh looking at all, and he always polite to the Thai people.

This is a very odd report. Are you saying that your friend stood at the front of the immigration queue booking an expensive flight because a junior official (with no power to make the decision about denying entry) told him to? In my many trips in and out of Thailand, I have never witnessed anything remotely like this. I have never even seen anyone asked for cash or onward flight reservations without being referred to a senior official first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All right let me try to phrase this in a different way than last time, because one of my previous comments was deleted, perhaps deemed inflamatory or personal.

When we assess the credibility of a member we would look at the when that member joined the forum (for example less than 24 hours before the original post), we would look if that person posts any other content, and if so, what type of content (if it's genuine or just made to generate content).

Based on that, we can easier differentiate real from not so real.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:40 AM, BritTim said:

This is a very odd report. Are you saying that your friend stood at the front of the immigration queue booking an expensive flight because a junior official (with no power to make the decision about denying entry) told him to? In my many trips in and out of Thailand, I have never witnessed anything remotely like this. I have never even seen anyone asked for cash or onward flight reservations without being referred to a senior official first.

yes, when there is a problem they take you out of the queue in an office or somewhere else to sit and verify.

One thing sure, they make problems now for anybody who has been staying here for some time or coming too often.

31 minutes ago, phuketlive said:

So how long you can stay as a tourist in thailand then if you know better ?

There is no maximum stay, the 180 days you indicated (after being told by an IO) has not been in existence for a long time already.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phuketlive said:

So how long you can stay as a tourist in thailand then if you know better ?

There is no limit published by immigration.

IO’s often quote 180 days which seems to be a “discretionary limit” at which point they should scrutinise the visitor.

If they ever do apply a limit I’m sure 180 days would be it, but as it stands as long as the IO’s keep letting you in you are at worst just breaking the “spirit” of the visa system.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:47 AM, phuketlive said:

immigration officer said that maximum stay with tourist visa is 180 days maximum.

Well, if you take flight always problem at the airport. My friend just 2 weeks ago take flight from Thailand to Hong Kong and he's in Thailand 1 year with tourist visa. When he was at Suvarnabhumi Airport, immigration told him you go Hong Kong and cannot back Thailand anymore.

I'm in Thailand with tourist visa for 2 years. And every 3 months go Laos make visa. Immigration never ask me 20,000 Baht. Just 3-4 times stop me within 2 years, ask questions such as "why long time here, what do you do here etc. and wanna know where I stay, phone number." 

If you prepare your documents well I think no problem.

Edited by sananeamk0715
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 1:27 PM, stevenl said:

There is no maximum stay, the 180 days you indicated (after being told by an IO) has not been in existence for a long time already.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

Thats the website of the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Thailand.

It says:

Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of

not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

So yes, it's 180 days for one year then, so yes there is a rule but nobody took the time to research so now you all know it's an official rule, 180 days maximum as a tourist for one year period.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, phuketlive said:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

Thats the website of the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Thailand.

It says:

Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of

not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

So yes, it's 180 days for one year then, so yes there is a rule but nobody took the time to research so now you all know it's an official rule, 180 days maximum as a tourist for one year period.

That was rescinded in 2008.

Is it so difficult to accept this?

• Like 1