Anutin remains coy on who he will support after election

webfact

Anutin remains coy on who he will support after election

By KAS CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION 

db283618ecfb454d6658c5012ab82b57.jpeg

BHUM JAI THAI Party leader Anutin Charnvirakul stands firm that the medium-sized party respects the rules, remains uncommitted to any party – military or civilian – and pledges to be the “emergency exit” for every faction after the election when politics is expected to be on fire.

“Don’t ask me now about an inside or outside prime minister. Spare me. In case of emergency, let my party be the escapeway,” Anutin stressed in an interview with The Nation.

The remark came amid recent movements by the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) that show signs of political ambition.

As the election draws near, it is speculated that a pro-junta party will be set up to support General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s bid for premiership. The theory gained credence after the Cabinet appointed a veteran politician as Prayut’s political adviser two weeks ago.

Calling it a “headhunting phenomenon”, analysts said the general is building his base of alliances comprising old-face politicians to support his return after the next election alongside junta-appointed senators.

Anutin’s Bhum Jai Thai Party has subsequently been put in the spotlight. Because it is traditionally the third-placed party after Pheu Thai and the Democrats, political observers believe it should have enough seats to help realise the junta’s aspirations.

Speculation has been fuelled by the fact that a mobile Cabinet meeting is set to take place in Buri Ram province, Bhum Jai Thai’s stronghold, next week. Observers right now are all ears about whether and how the junta and Anutin’s faction will make a deal.

24fc15ad442034684072eabaeb813310.jpeg

But Anutin yesterday denied that this excursion was the negotiating table. “If they want to be make a deal, they can do it right here or anywhere, any time at all. It doesn’t have to be in Buri Ram,” he said.

Noting that everyone is saying Prayut is now a “vacuum cleaner”, sucking up former MPs to join his new party, the Bhum Jai Thai leader said that this machine just did not work in his party. Even if it did, it would only suck out someone that the party did not want or someone that just wouldn’t be good for Prayut’s party anyway, he said.

“I don’t care about the amateurs. I only want the pros,” he said. “And the pros just don’t go around shifting between parties. They have their places in their parties and they stay. The amateurs, meanwhile, keep going around. But do they have any credibility?”

Considering the new voting method that only allows voters to cast a single ballot to give their vote to both the candidate and the party, major parties are likely to be at a disadvantage. The rise of medium-sized parties like Bhum Jai Thai is therefore on the cards. Some critics even say it is possible that Anutin could be the next prime minister – a middleman who takes the job after the major parties and MPs fail to reach agreement. But Anutin said no to that without hesitation. 

5176816687cab74cd41ce181cd3a0fb0.jpeg

“This is the third-place party. Me, the prime minister? Really?” he said. “I’m telling you, it has to be respectable. I’m not going to be anyone’s puppet. The middleman idea is just not possible in this age.”

However, Anutin said he is not taking sides either – not now.

“Everything depends on the election. If I say something now, those favouring the military won’t choose me. Likewise, if I say I’m with the military, those preferring democracy won’t vote for me. That’s just going to be bad.” He reiterated the election result is the key.

“What do you want me to say now? I can’t. What if I win 250 seats? Do I have to share that with anyone? No, I’ll keep it all to myself. And if I have five seats, they won’t like to sit with me either. That’s a fact.

“Just respect the election result. This time, there is no excuse not to. No parties have had state power in the past four years. You cannot say they won because they exploited that power,” Anutin said.

“Bhum Jai Thai, too, we will be straightforward. We will do our best. We will respect the law. And if we lose, we accept that we just suck.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30344488

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-03
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What a loathsome, slimy, lizard-like individual!

The up-coming election, whenever it may occur, will clearly be a mini referendum on whether Thailand continues under the military or returns to civilian rule. And if you do not have a position on that question, then one has to ask whether you have any principles at all.

If your political philosophy is to wait and see who has the most to offer you, then you are simply a whore waiting for the highest bidder. No wonder the Thai people get disgusted with their politicians.

Thailand is facing one of the most important questions of its existence and the answer will determine its course for generations; 'who has the most to give me' is an unacceptable reply.

I think your "loathsome" response is based on no knowledge of Anutin. He is a friend of mine and an outstanding individual who gives up his free time to fly anywhere in Thailand at his own expense, to help doctors collect organs such as hearts etc and has helped save a lot of lives. He is down to earth and does not flaunt his wealth I.E. he only wears one watch.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I think your "loathsome" response is based on no knowledge of Anutin. He is a friend of mine and an outstanding individual who gives up his free time to fly anywhere in Thailand at his own expense, to help doctors collect organs such as hearts etc and has helped save a lot of lives. He is down to earth and does not flaunt his wealth I.E. he only wears one watch.

Fair enough, but answer me this: What conclusion can the reader possibly draw from this article other than he is a political gun for hire?

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Fair enough, but answer me this: What conclusion can the reader possibly draw from this article other than he is a political gun for hire?

Aren't they all?

Certainly none seem to be actually interested in any principles. changing things other than increasing their own access to wealth and power, or any particular doctrine.

A sort of "let's wait and see whose in the best position to offer us the most and then back them" manifesto! 

No doubt the party members will have a warm feeling about the future!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Aren't they all?

Certainly none seem to be actually interested in any principles. changing things other than increasing their own access to wealth and power, or any particular doctrine.

A sort of "let's wait and see whose in the best position to offer us the most and then back them" manifesto! 

No doubt the party members will have a warm feeling about the future!

You and I certainly have our differences, but it is difficult to disagree given the way they are currently acting: 'Yes, we'll put up with your rules. Anything, but just let us wet our beaks a little too. Please!'

Coalition parties wanting good positions in an elected government is normal.

Parties prostituting themselves for plum positions in an non elected military government is a sell-out of that party or person's integrity, morality and accountability to the people who elected them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

Maybe in his private life he is a good person. But as a public figure, as a politician he is a caricature of the opportunistic type. Ready to rally the winer, displaying zero conviction or vision for Thailand 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Estrada said:

I have worked for Khun Anutin's company for 10 years and I have nothing but praise for his lifestyle.

51 minutes ago, rossd said:

I have worked for Khun Anutin's company for 10 years and I have nothing but praise for his lifestyle.

Sound like a ethical man. Maybe he is different from Newin. If only he openly denounced the junta for their coup, corruption and using harsh laws to shut free expression and opinions; we may judge him better. Shouldn’t be coy on his position. That position reserved for slimy politicians. 

• Like 1

They wanted to be part of Yingluck's government, but PT did not forget how Newin made that backdoor deal with the democrats.

I am guessing even this time, PT wouldn't need them.

Interesting to see that Prayuth is really thinking of going the "inside" PM route, he will be slaughtered at the polls, there is little doubt. Unless of course he riggs the elections, which is not unthinkable considering his track record...

Edited by sjaak327