Pattaya officials helpless as city’s garbage crisis worsens

Rimmer

Pattaya officials helpless as city’s garbage crisis worsens

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s current garbage collector won’t invest in more trucks or staff, its dumps are at capacity and the budget already is busted. The city’s trash crisis is getting worse and city hall appears helpless to solve it.

City council Chairman Anan Ankanawisan met with Pattaya’s mayor, his top deputies, local environmental agencies and other city department heads April 27 to brainstorm ideas on what to do with the tidal wave of waste Pattaya is drowning in.

Environmental workers said the original estimate that Pattaya is generating 450 tons of garbage is wrong by as much as 30 percent now. The Khao Maikaew dumpsite is nearly off limits and the Sukhumvit Soi 3 transfer station cannot accept any more garbage.

Meanwhile, trash cans around the city are overflowing and left uncollected for days as the current trash collector has proven unable to keep up. Yet, at the same time, the contractor refuses to spend more on trucks or staff.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-officials-helpless-citys-garbage-crisis-worsens-208929

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-05-4
  • Haha 1

" With no solutions on the table, Anan simply ordered the sanitation department to accurately calculate how much trash is piling up per day so a new online bid can be started for a new contractor and calculate a new budget to solve the problem, even though no one can say what the money will be spent on." 

But at this rate by the time they calculate a new budget will be even more trash:blink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, midas said:

" With no solutions on the table, Anan simply ordered the sanitation department to accurately calculate how much trash is piling up per day so a new online bid can be started for a new contractor and calculate a new budget to solve the problem, even though no one can say what the money will be spent on." 

But at this rate by the time they calculate a new budget will be even more trash:blink:

Use a logarithmic formula along with a simulation.

they need 2 competing collectors and dump sites,

and funding can perhaps be created by taxing cars in pattaya for crowding,

wit any luck that will also reduce traffic jam and increase parking opportunity

somewhat

start charging for plastic bags..and limit the ''street food vendors''free range..living on beach rd I can tell you .all of the garbage is related to street food and plastic bags

Edited by mok199
speliings
  • Like 1

Pattaya Garbage

The problem lies squarely with the Pattaya Officials, specifically those that decided in there great wisdom decided to change from the last contractor to the new one.

One smells a “Rat” in this Garbage!

The new operator now probably wants more money and then will get staff and vehicles, but probably only 50% of what is really needed.

How can the old operator pickup Garbage from my estate twice a week and the new one maybe once every 10 days.

The home owners solution is more plastic garbage bags and /or multiple or bigger dustbins.

The same amount of Garbage.

I would happily pay more money for Garbage collection; it’s now only 40 Baht a month where I live, but….. Will it help the cause or just be siphoned off?

As I understand it the previous contractors contract expired in Oct. 2017 and the council still haven't let tenders for a new contract. What this council needs to do is put out tenders now, hopefully some of the big multinational companies will put in quote as they will have more experience and more innovative ideas than the local Baboons.  I've been living in Patts for 3 years now and still see the same beat up stinking rear loader rubbish truck on Soi Bukhaow everyday, comes complete with driver, wife and child in cabin. In my 30 years in the waste industry in Aust. No passengers, No thongs and MUST wear reflective attire

• Like 1

On 04/05/2018 at 11:04 AM, johng said:

Still no idea where this  supposed "official dump site" is !

There is lots of empty space over on the "dark side" Pattaya city needs to invest in a big plot + build a modern "clean" incineration plant which could also produce electricity + a few proper recycling sites around the city for  people to drop off used oil,batteries,fridges,tv's etc.

Mind you they have an incineration plant on Koh Larn...but it broke and rubbish is piling up there too

someone needs a good kick up the backside.

Good idea.....but all they do here is build more and more and more condos...many of which never get sold, the ones that do become occupied then add more and more trash to a broken collectable system !!

So the answer is STOP BUILDING CONDOS and get a large garbage plant built 

• Like 1

On 05/05/2018 at 8:32 AM, a977 said:

As I understand it the previous contractors contract expired in Oct. 2017 and the council still haven't let tenders for a new contract. What this council needs to do is put out tenders now, hopefully some of the big multinational companies will put in quote as they will have more experience and more innovative ideas than the local Baboons.  I've been living in Patts for 3 years now and still see the same beat up stinking rear loader rubbish truck on Soi Bukhaow everyday, comes complete with driver, wife and child in cabin. In my 30 years in the waste industry in Aust. No passengers, No thongs and MUST wear reflective attire

In my 30 years in the waste industry in Aust. No passengers, No thongs and MUST wear reflective attire

but YOU are in a third world country....!!!

On 05/05/2018 at 3:08 AM, poanoi said:

they need 2 competing collectors and dump sites,

and funding can perhaps be created by taxing cars in pattaya for crowding,

wit any luck that will also reduce traffic jam and increase parking opportunity

somewhat

they are suppose to be building a tram system.....was reported on here months and months ago...then updates stopped being printed ....