What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Extant ended and won't be missed. Elements of Rosemary's Baby & Solaris, mainly, with a little of this & that familiar element thrown in, finally morphed into the ol' vampire/zombie movie. I suppose if it does by chance get renewed I'll be forced to take another look and watch it play out the obvious & inevitable.

• Like 1

Extant ended and won't be missed. Elements of Rosemary's Baby & Solaris, mainly, with a little of this & that familiar element thrown in, finally morphed into the ol' vampire/zombie movie. I suppose if it does by chance get renewed I'll be forced to take another look and watch it play out the obvious & inevitable.

Sorry but there are 3 more episodes ,13 not 10, you will have to endure the last 3 yet.biggrin.png

• Like 2

Bad Johnson: a twist on the usual rom-com BS.. Two words to some this movie up? Jamie Chung!

5/10 (without Jamie Chung probably 2/10)

It has it's funny moments but then it turns typical rom-com and puts you to sleep. Did I mention Jamie Chung is in it? In case I didn't, Jamie Chung is in this movie ;)

• Like 2

Sorry but there are 3 more episodes ,13 not 10, you will have to endure the last 3 yet.biggrin.png

Oh no! I'll prepare myself.

The Bridge: BIG Spoiler: Solamente Amigos Personales de FAUSTO GALVAN beyond this barrier: ¡Cuidado! ¡Peligro!

Episodes 7 and 8..........Things are heating up in a big way now. Every principal character is in deep trouble, even the Bad Guys.

Sonya Cross: How arrogant and myopic can one cop get? Lieutenant Hank, her protector and surrogate father, is sweating it out at home on paid administrative leave, all because he shot the murdering rapist Jim Dobbs in the head a few years back, while Dobbsy was unarmed. The little blonde fool actually went to the man's house, and twisted the knife, saying he deserves to be in trouble over this bogus BS. And then...

She believes the lying spiel of that ridiculously oversized DEA buffoon, who tells her to stop teaming with Marco, because Marco and Fausto are old Juárez homeboys, whose fathers were in biz together. She tells Marco to get out of her office. Unbelievable! This, after she had been balling Jack Dobbs, the killer's brother, a very questionable human being. She told him to get lost too, but he'll be back.

She doesn't realize that she's going to need all the friends she can get, very soon. You fans know what I'm talking about.

Great scenes with Eleanor, who somebody on IMDB called this series answer to Anton Chigur, from No Country for Old Men. Ep. 7 had an all time classic scene of her telling Idiot Ray who she is, in the form of a parable that Ray doesn't get, at first.

Eleanor: Do you want to be a 'pet'?

Ray: It ain't exactly on my To-Do List.

Eleanor is getting annoyed with Sebastiano, the Grupo Clio suave gangster. He's trying to get her to sell out Fausto, and she hates him smoking that e-cigarette around her. He will pay.

Fausto is on the run from the MexiFeds, having been ratted out by Capitán Robles. I think Fausto likes this action, better than hiding out at his storage facility. Heading for a Mondo Shootout!

Daniel the Gonzo 'Periodista' is going nuts behind cocaine and tequila, stoking his sick ego right past the edge. He thinks his great exposé is going to land him on the cover of Rolling Stone, the next Matt Taibbi. A shallow grave is more likely, although he is proving to be hard to kill. He would cut Adriana out of the story in a heartbeat, the swine.

Steve and Eva are rolling around both sides of the border in Steves ugly camper/pickup, looking for guys to hurt who were involved in kidnap and murder of maquiladora girls. That beard isn't getting any prettier.

Ep. 8 had some tricky cinematography, with lots of Sergio Leone-style facial closeups, and some handheld stuff that was cool, like the ground level close tracking of Eleanor's sensible shoes, as she walks up to Sonya's mother's homeless tent, to steal the locket Sonya has just left.

She's tracking Sonya, while Sonya thinks she is tracking Eleanor!

I LOVE this show!

We now return to our regular boring programming.

• Like 2

Tyrant: SPOILER ALERT No Unauthorized personnel beyond this point! Visitors must wear valid Abuddin ID! By Order of President -for-Life Jamal Al Fayeed!

Omar Little said it best, on The Wire: "You come for The King, you best not miss."

As much of a moral disaster as Jamal is, he's a straight up MAN compared to Barry/Bassam, and Ashraf Barhom is a far more interesting actor to watch than Adam Rayner, the "star." And Jennifer Finnigan (the wife) must have gone to the same acting school as Meghan Markle, Rachel from Suits, Beaucoups d' Boo-Hoos. This show grew on me, and I watched the whole series, although it was far from a favorite.

This whole "hostile takeover plan" (I hesitate to use another word for the same act, due to current local realities.) needed a lot more thought. Can't compare this to "real life", but here goes anyway...

First, the American ambassador would NEVER agree to a half assed plot like this, much less ask Washington if it's a good idea. Prez Obama, or at least Sec. Kerry would tell him we've already got enough problems over there without destabilizing a reliable ally.

Second, Jamal would have probably loved to hand over the keys to Barry, and move to the Maldives, or wherever there's sunshine, big game fishing, alcohol, and high end ho's.

His lovely wife probably wouldn't have liked the plan, unless she could dump Jamal, liquidate Molly by any means necessary, and be Barry's First lady. What a WOMAN!

So now we've got the cliffhanger, with Bassam sweating it out in his LL Bean Riverman shirt, down in the dungeon. General Tariq is on his way down with a collection of Ginzu knives. If this show continues, you KNOW we can't have Bassam killed. He's the Star! He's also not going back to Pasadena anytime soon. I can see him getting quietly let out of jail, and doing penance by being a doctor at the worst hospital in the country. Jamal can never trust him again, but he does still love his brother, and we know deep down he's a lovable teddy bear. Now Jamal is in even more danger of being overthrown by Uncle Tariq, so he'll need Bassam to need that old rat contained.

If they renew the show, I'll watch it, but if not, it was a worthy effort, and a lot of unintentional comedy. Hope the kids stay in California next time.

7/10

Brilliant!

10/10 for your review...

• Like 1

The new show, Hand of God, looks promising.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3973768/

A morally-corrupt judge suffers a breakdown and believes God is compelling him onto a path of vigilante justice. -- IMDb Plot: Hand of God (2014)

Ron Perlman! Did he get killed off or is he back in jail on Sons of Anarchy? I can't remember.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Some great inside scoop from Francis Ford Coppola on the filming of the immortal film "Apocalypse Now." Evidently, Brando nearly bankrupted the Director with his behavior. The cast was constantly drunk or high on cocaine, and the whole thing was a miracle it ever came together.

Since Brando — like costar Dennis Hopper, who shunned showers and reeked from cocaine abuse — couldn’t memorize a single line (yet did an immortal performance),

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/francis-ford-coppola-spills-apocalypse-now-secrets-on-96248626852.html

"If you could've seen the Man, heard the man , what a MAN,Man!" Dennis Hopper was so damn crazy. He finally went all the way in Blue Velvet. He once said he would have liked to play someone sane and normal, but he made too much $$ from his "nut jobs."

A morally-corrupt judge suffers a breakdown and believes God is compelling him onto a path of vigilante justice. -- IMDb Plot: Hand of God (2014)

That was close. I almost missed it.

And "promising" seems a bit like an understatement to me smile.png . The first episode was simply fantastic with a great cast and a good plot (finally, after being a desperate housewife and a coroner I can see Dana Delany in a role I like her in). The idea of the story reminds me of "Boss", a bit more violent, though.

For me, that's a keeper!

Edited by jope
  • Like 1

Ron Perlman! Did he get killed off or is he back in jail on Sons of Anarchy? I can't remember.

He got knocked off by Jax in the last episode.

He FINALLY got knocked off?! 3 seasons too late but thank the lord!!

At least I think he did, have to go back and watch the season 6 finalé to confirm it... Just saw a preview for Season 7, in it included a part where Jax wasted Clay.

Sorry if that's a spoiler, but you've had almost a year to watch it :P

And "promising" seems a bit like an understatement to me smile.png . The first episode was simply fantastic with a great cast and a good plot (finally, after being a desperate housewife and a coroner I can see Dana Delany in a role I like her in). The idea of the story reminds me of "Boss", a bit more violent, though.

For me, that's a keeper!

I liked it too, but you can't always tell from the first episode.

For me, that's a keeper!

I liked it too, but you can't always tell from the first episode.

Yes, that's correct. But this time it's different. This one will rise above the others and it will become one of the few really great shows! (I so hope that I am right. If not, I will of course do the right thing: simply not mention it again and pretend that I never said otherwise whistling.gif ).

• Like 1

Somehow, I got the idea that the Ray Donovan party episode was the last one this season. I'm happy to report that it is not. The new one is on PB and so is The Strain. thumbsup.gif

Yes and no spoilers until tomorrow please!

That goes for you too Frank James tongue.png

I'll duct tapes my hands and lips. Anyway, I heard Ray's taking a one week break for USA Labor Day. He'll be up in Beverly Hills replacing his Rolex Daytona that he gave to Wendell Pierce, and the IWC he foolishly gave to Conor. A Swatch or G Shock would have been quite good enough for that little mugglehead. How long until that $$20,000++ watch gets ripped off or broken when he's sucker punching another schoolmate from behind?

• Like 1

Update: Apparently Ray s02e08 is available. Good news.

It took a couple of episodes to get into it, but I am enjoying Masters of Sex. It does such a good job of depicting the way we were thinking back then. Lizzy Caplan is on her way to being a Big Star, I think. She's got that certain something. And Michael Sheen is so good as the uptight Dr. Masters. What a change from his portrayals as Tony Blair in The Queen, and as David Frost in Frost/Nixon. Another Brit doing a perfect American accent. How do they do it??

• Like 1

Somehow, I got the idea that the Ray Donovan party episode was the last one this season. I'm happy to report that it is not. The new one is on PB and so is The Strain. thumbsup.gif

Yes and no spoilers until tomorrow please!

That goes for you too Frank James tongue.png

I'll duct tapes my hands and lips. Anyway, I heard Ray's taking a one week break for USA Labor Day. He'll be up in Beverly Hills replacing his Rolex Daytona that he gave to Wendell Pierce, and the IWC he foolishly gave to Conor. A Swatch or G Shock would have been quite good enough for that little mugglehead. How long until that $$20,000++ watch gets ripped off or broken when he's sucker punching another schoolmate from behind?

Feel free to put up Spoiler Alerts.

I've indulged in the latest episode and boy o boy what an episode it was!