What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

DANNY COLLINS (2015)

Nicely summed up by Roger Ebert

"Danny Collins," about an old pop star discovering the true meaning of life, is an appealing comedy with an unabashed streak of melodrama, sharp dialogue, and a superb ensemble cast, anchored by a lead performance by Al Pacino in lovable scamp mode".

I quite enjoyed the movie, but I tend to like most Al Pacino movies.

• Like 2

No Offence a British cop show with a difference, just started watching and enjoying it,give it a go

Just started----?...... the 8th (last) episode finshed about 2 weeks ago----- "Black work" is a 3 part cop thriller that replaced it. on its last week.

Well, I watched E03 of True Detectives last night. It was rubbish & I switched off after 30 mins.

Sooo disappointed. sad.png

True, not the best episode of the young season. But I learnt a new word: "apoplectic". Who would say that in a conversation??? smile.png

people who read.

Edited by HooHaa

No Offence a British cop show with a difference, just started watching and enjoying it,give it a go

Just started----?...... the 8th (last) episode finshed about 2 weeks ago----- "Black work" is a 3 part cop thriller that replaced it. on its last week.

Yes i just started ,didnt know i had to watch it as soon as it was broadcastsmile.png i will try black work ,any good?

• Like 1

Black Work has finished too.

Watched the last episode on Friday.

@IC

Black Work was definitely watchable, but nothing special.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

is it just me or does it seem movie pickings are becoming increasingly thin on the ground.

i used to be able to open my torrent client and find something i wanted to watch, even had a backlog of films i wanted to see.

now i struggle to find anything remotely interesting.

• Like 1

is it just me or does it seem movie pickings are becoming increasingly thin on the ground.

i used to be able to open my torrent client and find something i wanted to watch, even had a backlog of films i wanted to see.

now i struggle to find anything remotely interesting.

No it's not just you they are, i was listening to a director on a bbc podcast a month or so bac , cant remember who , but anyway how he

sort of explained it was ,

Very very loosely, budget wise there are three types of films,

Huge ega large big budget films that have enuf funding to make sure they return wedge, big

advertising huge promo's batmans ect ect so they are getting made.

Indies, that tend to b trendy are relatively low budget,and so relatively little exposure and risk for the studio so they tend to get made

and then there's the mid budget films, what is mid budget dont ask me ,,but not enuf wedge to cover huge advertising and promos that the large

ones use to ensure to get their money back, but still take a significant amount of wedge to produce,and haven't got the indie trendy niche market

to help, apparently these are the films that the studios/ investors see as a risk and arnt getting made anywhere near as much as b4

And he reckoned the workers from those mid budget films are moving across to tv , which could go a way to explain the increase in 'quality tv'

dont shoot the messenger, this is only what was said, but it sort of makes sense.

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

Please can somebody watch Marvelous & tell me they enjoyed it as much as I did...

Failing that Columbiana is a great film, connection being I was on a visit to parents in the UK & both films were on at the same time, recorded Columbiana (seen it before) & thoroughly enjoyed Marvelous...

I've always wanted to be happy... So I decided to be...

Watched this movie some time ago, it's Korean with subs & directed by Lee Kwang Dong.

Really enjoyed it. smile.png

The korean filmakers in recent years imo are the 'cutting edge' of cinema.

rijit

Try the Korean historical series "Jumong". I watched a couple times on Dramafever.com. It's 60 hours long! I think it's the greatest story ever told. My subscription is only 5 dollars a month and you can watch thru a vpn connection.

Chuno is another great drama series.

yep , one episode in of Jumong and it looks good,,,,6o ish to go,,, hapi days

will defo have a look at Chuno in the next few days.

"The Strain" series 2 has started

4 me Genre s been explored covered and double covered and then some. only route really is to go totally absurd , peps do luv it though but frankly if its so aint my scene.

Hope you enjoy though.

rijit

True Detective: Just went to the next level! From a meandering walk in the park to the Olympic 100m final! Intense...

Wow, what a crime scene. Feeling sorry for the one in charge for collecting the evidence. But how does it all fit in? I am more confused than ever. Looking forward to more (every second episode with a shocking finale?)

Edited by jope
  • Like 2

True Detective: Just went to the next level! From a meandering walk in the park to the Olympic 100m final! Intense...

Wow, what a crime scene. Feeling sorry for the one in charge for collecting the evidence. But how does it all fit in? I am more confused than ever. Looking forward to more (every second episode with a shocking finale?)

Certainly <deleted> up, right? I was like "phwoar, didn't see that coming" I think it has something to do with the revelation uncovered earlier in that episode involving a south of the border connection (apologies trying to get around the whole "spoiler alert" ;) )

Next week's episode should hopefully go about explaining it a bit more..

• Like 1

For those who have not heard: Sundance renewed Rectify for season 4 and HBO renewed Ballers for a second season (really enjoying the latter, too. Harmless fun, a lot of "bling").

The latter also having a lot of tits and ass! Alonso's Mom is fiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

• Like 1

TV series - Undercover

A new comedy from the UK.

In a word: dreadful.

Undercover is the story of traffic policeman Chris, a neurotic, over analytical, metrosexual who is also an undercover policeman in a vicious Armenian crime family called the Sarkissians. His day-to-day tasks mainly revolve around not getting killed and blending in with excessively violent gangsters. Couldn't be simpler!

• Like 2

Tv Series - Rookies

Another cops series from the UK.
One episode in and it's pretty good.

** I think the download name is rookie cops **

24 ordinary people - from a wide variety of backgrounds including lorry drivers and travel agents - are about to make a life changing decision. They are to become Police Officers.

• Like 2

The Fall (2006) NOT the series with Gillian Anderson

I was referred to this film when reading the message boards for the current AMC series Halt and Catch Fire, a personal favorite. People were raving about what a great actor is Lee Pace, and saying this is their favorite film of all time! I watched it last night, and every ten minutes I was checking to see how much time was left. It is firmly in the fantasy genre, which I generally avoid. The cinematography is stunning, and the sets/locations are other worldly. But the story? Ehhh...Didn't move me, despite the use of the orphan child befriending the broke down hero, both of them hospitalized. It just wasn't my night for a good cry.

What really shocked me was the many locations used. India, Bali, Prague, Cambodia etc. This film must have been a budgetary and logistical nightmare. It only grossed about 2 million dollars. It could become a cult favorite (maybe it already is), rivaling those old Thirties spectacles by Alexander Korda. If you like films such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, you might want to look this one up, at the usual outlets.

SEVEN. Five for the spectacle.

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 2