What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

True Detective 2

Any show that features a great Leonard Cohen song with the titles, sung by the Master himself (Never Mind!), is almost automatically going to be all right by me.

This was almost cancelled out by the atrocious "music" put out by that depressing girl singer at the David Lynch Bar & Grill, Frank Semyon, Prop.

For action fans, this series featured two and a half great shootouts, and lots of random violence and kink. Great lineup of bad guys, too.

Suits, it was not.

If i remember rightly ,it was not Leonard singing never mind in the opening credits ,but a cover , the original is also 4 minutes long and with different backing , no offencethumbsup.gifsmile.png

True Detective 2

Any show that features a great Leonard Cohen song with the titles, sung by the Master himself (Never Mind!), is almost automatically going to be all right by me.

This was almost cancelled out by the atrocious "music" put out by that depressing girl singer at the David Lynch Bar & Grill, Frank Semyon, Prop.

For action fans, this series featured two and a half great shootouts, and lots of random violence and kink. Great lineup of bad guys, too.

Suits, it was not.

If i remember rightly ,it was not Leonard singing never mind in the opening credits ,but a cover , the original is also 4 minutes long and with different backing , no offencethumbsup.gifsmile.png

No, My Brother, that is the One and Only Leonard Cohen. Nobody else sounds like that (though many tried). As to the background and other variations from the original album cut. T-Bone Burnett did some sanding and re-shaping, of course. LC must have gotten a nice payday from that, as well as getting introduced to new fans who never had any idea that there was a guy like this out there. On the job since 1968, and was a working poet before that. A True Legend.

There is nothing to compare to a LC live show. He always shows up prepared and impeccably attired, accompanied by a great crew of musicians and backup singers. He respects his audience, which a lot of today's "artists" do not.

True Detective 2

Suits, it was not.

No, My Brother, that is the One and Only Leonard Cohen. Nobody else sounds like that (though many tried). As to the background and other variations from the original album cut. T-Bone Burnett did some sanding and re-shaping, of course. LC must have gotten a nice payday from that, as well as getting introduced to new fans who never had any idea that there was a guy like this out there. On the job since 1968, and was a working poet before that. A True Legend.

There is nothing to compare to a LC live show. He always shows up prepared and impeccably attired, accompanied by a great crew of musicians and backup singers. He respects his audience, which a lot of today's "artists" do not.

I do really like Cohen,but as we used to say"music to cut your wrists to" lol by the way I do have the track on a USB and was playing it in the car only yesterday,I bow to your greater knowledge

Whilst this week's episode of Suits didn't really live up to the hype whipped up last week (kind of plateaued) t'was still a decent enough episode, has Louis gotten smarter this season?

As for True Detective, think you lot drummed it up a bit too much, was a rather predictable ending save the very last sequence which was rather unexpected but no doubt goes nowhere given the setup of the series...

Be interesting to see if HBO goes in for a third...

Mr Robot takes an unexpected turn of events. Starting to really like this one.

All the usual tv suspects , 'unreal ' being pic of the bunch for me. season one sadly concluded, highly reco that one. Suits is bac on track , 'tyrant' is building nicely.

'Masters of sex' is constantly amazing me how it keeps my interest, with such a limited and repeated plot. 'Rectify' more or less the same as

masters of sex

ray donovan stutters but keeps me gripped enuf to hold on in there. Deutchland83, concludes and will defo be missed a good series.

As for films 'Timbucto' IMO is the pic of the recent bunch http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/timbuktu_2015/

an interesting take on what life under a jihadist regime would/could be like in a small village/town setting, I it's quess about as near as we're likely to see. .

exmachina and mad max, I didnt finish, unless its got stunning aesthetics or totally gripping or something special, modern day si fi or what this

genre is, peaked and died 4 me with its literature in the early 80's.

Anyone else try Popcorn Time for movies and TV shows? Wondering about your experiences with it. Thanks!

just checked it out and the first thing it seems to insist on is you download a prog so that it works,,,call me over suspicious , but that sets alarm bells ringing, I JUST DONT OR Wont, 2 many issues or possible issues with these style downloads.

Edited by rijit

Saving Mr. Banks (2013)

In some forum, either here or on IMDB a discussion of the performance of Colin Farrell in True Detective 2 referred back to his performance in this film, as the lovable consumptive alcoholic Australian father of Mrs. P.L. Travers, the author of the original Mary Poppins book. This film, starring Emma Thompson as Travers and Tom Hanks as Walt Disney, deals with the struggle between Disney and Travers in adapting her story to the screen, Disney style.

All of the actors in this film are excellent, including Paul Giamatti as the chauffeur. The film was made by the Disney organization, so naturally Old Walt comes off looking like a saint, supposedly spending 20 years trying to get the film rights from the cold Mrs. Travers, only (allegedly) to fulfill a promise to his daughter Dianne Disney. In a way, this film almost looks like another take on Driving Miss Daisy.

The film is sentimental to the max, and a pleasant break from my usual fare, TD2, Rectify, Mr. Robot, etc. And watching Farrell as burnt out alky cop Ray Velcoro, and then seeing him in this light piece, and in the all time classic In Bruges, I would class him as one of the top movie actors around today.

TEN, with a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.

• Like 2

Saving Mr. Banks was EXCELLENT IMO.

When I glanced at that, I thought you said "Saving Mr Bean"!!! (I really need to get some glasses)

Hmmmm, not terrible idea for a movie though [emoji4]

If you meant Saving Mr. Sean Bean...he surely needs saving. He can't help himself dying in almost every show.

• Like 1

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

An article in the Guardian today re the death of David Nobbs, creator of the Reggie Perrin character, sent me straight to youtube to see if that show was as funny as I remember it. It was, and still is. I had a couple of hours of great laughs watching old episodes. We got those a year or two late on PBS in the US. The Brits have a peculiar sense of great humor, and so many fine actors and writers to make these memorable shows. Fawlty Towers is still hilarious. The British version of The Office is far superior to the American version, and The Two Ronnies still break me up. I even like The Benny Hill Show.

I never get tired of hearing CJ launch into "I didn't get where I am today by..."

TEN, and R.I.P. to Mr. Nobbs for Hall of Fame Comedy writing.

• Like 1

Rectify: Season 3 Gone Already!

Well, I stand corrected. In the sixth and last episode of Season 3, one of the characters casually remarks (the following statement could be seen as a MINI-SPOILER. I don't think so but you might, so, You Were Warned):

That all of the action since Daniel came out of prison, that we have agonized over for 26 episodes over two years, has taken place in just "six or seven weeks."

Well, the writers know best. I just can't see how all of that stuff could have happened in such a short time span but, there it is.

In a great interview, Creator Ray McKinnon says, with one more short season coming up, he feels "the end is near." Long time fans would likely agree. It could have easily ended on this last episode, even though there are some huge loose ends to resolve. This has been one of my favorite series of all time, completely different from anything I have seen before. Season 3 was just as powerful as what went before, and it will be great to see the final set of episodes.

12/10!, and crowdsourcing now to buy Tawney some new clothes.

• Like 2

Starz made the first two episodes of Blunt Talk available to watch for free. The show about an egocentric talk show host with a certain drug and alcohol problem and a loyal but strange butler will premiere on the 22nd of August.

I like the show very much so far. A bit absurd, but with some wit in it. English accents galore. Probably not for everybody.

• Like 1

One of the best action tv-shows out there is Banshee.

besides this i follow Under the dome, person of interest, How to get away with murder and the Black list.

if you need any other info, just let me know. I'm a big movie/tv-show freak

In december i'll be in bangkok and i'm going to watch the new Star wars movie with my wife

Has all the right credentials to be a good one http://www.metacritic.com/tv/show-me-a-hero

about to watch the first episode, will let you know if its worth a watch or not

yep, its got all of the ingredients , well enuf acted, though the actors rapid machine gun style new york delivery demands a little to much attention almost to the point of 'where the f are the subtitles!!!!baring that good direction with some nice camera work, However ,I'm just wondering if the 'subject' justifies a mini series

but we'll see..

• Like 1

TV Series - Spotless

Two episodes into this ten part series and I reckon it's really good.
Do yourself a favour and have a look at this one.

IMDB: Set in London, SPOTLESS is the story of a troubled crime scene cleaner, Jean, whose tidy life is turned upside
down when his outlaw brother Martin crash lands into his world, entangling them in the deadly dynamics of organized crime.

Couldn't find a decent trailer on youtube so here is a link from the studio.

http://www.studiocanaltvseries.com/program/spotless

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

Has all the right credentials to be a good one http://www.metacritic.com/tv/show-me-a-hero

yep, its got all of the ingredients , well enuf acted, though the actors rapid machine gun style new york delivery demands a little to much attention almost to the point of 'where the f are the subtitles!!!!baring that good direction with some nice camera work, However ,I'm just wondering if the 'subject' justifies a mini series

but we'll see..

Watched the first episode and completely agree, particularly with your last sentence, which I would have written like "Simply boring!"

but we'll see..

Watched the first episode and completely agree, particularly with your last sentence, which I would have written like "Simply boring!"

yeah take your point but its maybe a bit hard to judge after just one episode, i've seen worse develop into reasonable dramas and not as a 'given' but the reviewers aint normally that far out.. It's got to many of the good bits in place for it to be totally trash or at least get a whole heap better and hbo have a good enuf record on mini series so for me I'm giving at least episode 2 plus for it to produce.

• Like 1

but we'll see..

yeah take your point but its maybe a bit hard to judge after just one episode, i've seen worse develop into reasonable dramas and not as a 'given' but the reviewers aint normally that far out.. It's got to many of the good bits in place for it to be totally trash or at least get a whole heap better and hbo have a good enuf record on mini series so for me I'm giving at least episode 2 plus for it to produce.

I guess, these various little family stories happening around that housing problem could merge to something dramatic and exciting. But the second episode should come up with something better than watching a lame character doing lame things. Alright then, lets see...

TV Series - Spotless

Two episodes into this ten part series and I reckon it's really good.

Do yourself a favour and have a look at this one.

IMDB: Set in London, SPOTLESS is the story of a troubled crime scene cleaner, Jean, whose tidy life is turned upside

down when his outlaw brother Martin crash lands into his world, entangling them in the deadly dynamics of organized crime.

Couldn't find a decent trailer on youtube so here is a link from the studio.

http://www.studiocanaltvseries.com/program/spotless

Another good one! And desperately needed during weak summer-tv time.

Pleasantly laid-back, Weird situations but very educational (as the would say).

Shocking how easily one can involuntarily slip into organized crime. smile.png

This show will keep me afloat for a few days. Like it!

• Like 1

Rectify: Season 3 Gone Already!

Well, I stand corrected. In the sixth and last episode of Season 3, one of the characters casually remarks (the following statement could be seen as a MINI-SPOILER. I don't think so but you might, so, You Were Warned):

That all of the action since Daniel came out of prison, that we have agonized over for 26 episodes over two years, has taken place in just "six or seven weeks."

Well, the writers know best. I just can't see how all of that stuff could have happened in such a short time span but, there it is.

In a great interview, Creator Ray McKinnon says, with one more short season coming up, he feels "the end is near." Long time fans would likely agree. It could have easily ended on this last episode, even though there are some huge loose ends to resolve. This has been one of my favorite series of all time, completely different from anything I have seen before. Season 3 was just as powerful as what went before, and it will be great to see the final set of episodes.

12/10!, and crowdsourcing now to buy Tawney some new clothes.

Agreed! This modest church-chic is excruciating. But even in better clothes I would still just see a wee girl and not a young woman.

As I said before, I think the characters are sufficiently explored. Now I hope that the final (?) season will clear the case and will answer the main question without leaving any doubt: Did he? Or did he not?

Edited by jope

but we'll see..

I guess, these various little family stories happening around that housing problem could merge to something dramatic and exciting. But the second episode should come up with something better than watching a lame character doing lame things. Alright then, lets see...

episode 2 is out there already they are being shown in blocks of 2. Its better. Not immensely but better.

rijit

Thomas vinterberg aka 'the hunt' recent ish adaptation of hardy's classic novel 'far from the madding crowd' thought it flowed really well its been a while since i watched it but if my memory serves me well, I preferred it over the 70's adaptation and surprisingly I particularly liked the sound track in this one. the only thing that slightly grated was Matthias Schoenaerts as oak , although his acting was impeccable and he really seemed to develop a really good empathy with oak, he just wasn't what oak was, and that's, primarily, English..still, good film and defo worth a watch

Saw Runner, an utterly boring film about a congressman in Louisiana after the oil spill, who must resign over a sex affair and tries to get his life together afterwards.

Watched it last night and agree about boring. Guilty of fast forwarding sections hoping for something better out of it. smile.png

Currently watching Extant, a Sci-Fi, with Hal Berry. Finished episode 3 last night and the jury is still out on this for me.

First season is a bit boring but the story gets way more interesting in season two (i skipped last few episodes of season 1 and went straight to two to give it a chance.)

Evidently Prime Minister Prayut is keen on "Blue Bloods".

Police working on the Erawan shrine blast should watch the American crime series Blue Bloods for leads, says Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Bromance for Tom Selleck? Or hot for Bridget Moynahan?