What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

IMO, the best of Tarantino's films for many years - which is not saying a lot. His first few films were great, but it has been mostly downhill ever since. I enjoyed "The Hateful Eight" but , like most Tarrantino films, it was way over the top. Personally, I don't think I was even close to being anything great.

I thought Jango was really good with the exception of the over the top ending, but have not liked any of his more recent films. Hateful Eight was garbage, imo. I didn't care about any of the characters and most of the twists felt (or were) telegraphed.

45 Years

I made it all the way through this film in one sitting, but it seemed like 45 years had actually passed by the end. All that kept me hanging on was looking at the eternally lovely Charlotte Rampling. All that serenity and wisdom in her face, and seems not to have gained an ounce of fat in her whole career.

This film was entirely too real and "lifelike." Nothing much "happens", although the slight promise that something will eventually come of these dangling threads keep one hanging on. I kept crying out EDITOR, EDITOR! Charlotte walks the dog. Several times. They go to town. Several times. A secret from the past comes to light, threatens to blow up the marriage. Or maybe not. Etc.

Young people deeply in love with each other, contemplating marriage, might call off the wedding after seeing this. If this is how things get, after four decades together, is it really worth it?

SEVEN, because I love Charlotte so.

• Like 1

Stella is back on ,about the goings on in Pontberry Wales , in the second episode Andy Fairweather Low makes an appearance , i remember him as a pop star in the 70s , god he got old , note to self , do not look in the mirror .biggrin.png

• Like 1

Tv series - Occupied

Three epsiodes into this 10 part series on Sky and it's getting better each with episode.

Has subtitles.

IMDB: In the near future, Norway is occupied by Russia on behalf of the European Union, due to the fact that
the newly elected environmental friendly Norwegian government has stopped the all important oil- and gas-production in the North Sea.

• Like 2

Just watched the 3rd episode of midsomer murders ,I really still like this but its become so PC in the last episode there was a black guy in the village married to a white woman ,this week the other way around ,its just getting silly now,

Just been to the Cinema to see the new film with ''Anne Hathaway' and Robert de Niro'' called ''The Interim'' it was excellent, far better than what i expected.

Just a correction and that it is "The Intern". On my list of must see now. Thanks. smile.png

Just finally got to watch it and agree it was an excellent feel good movie.

• Like 1

Room (2015)

I can't describe this film without "spoiling", so I'll just say...it was PAINFUL to watch. I stayed with it only to see if the situation would improve for the principals.

We read of bizarre cruelties like this every day, so it wasn't as if it were far fetched at all. Original, Suspenseful, Tragic, Well Acted, Worthwhile, but God was I glad to see it end!

NINE Run Jack, RUN!

• Like 1

German made War movies

I found this list of a Top Ten German War movies. It is a personal reviewers opinion, but some decent looking movies on the list.

Anyone know any more good German war movies?

Here is the list and link:

1. Die Brücke aka The Bridge (1959):

2. Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben aka Dogs, do you want to live forever – Stalingrad (1959):

3. Das Boot (1981):

4. Stalingrad (1993):

5. NaPolA aka Before the Fall (2004):

6. Der Untergang aka The Downfall (2004):

7. Joyeux Noël aka Merry Christmas (2005):

8. Sophie Scholl – Die letzten Tage aka Sophie Scholl (2005):

9. Anonyma – Eine Frau n Berlin aka Anonyma – The Downfall of Berlin(2008) :

10. Der rote Baron aka The Red Baron (2008):

http://allaboutwarmovies.com/2010/10/26/10-german-war-movies-you-must-see-before-you-die/

Not a movie, but a 3-part TV mini series:

Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter (Our Mothers, Our Fathers = Generation War, from 2013)

Highly controversial: does the production describe how a dictatorial system compromises harmless people or is it too forgiving or even propaganda (as the New York Times saw it)? Either way, fantastic audience rate for the German ZDF at the time (ZDF is not a private but a public service television station).

with subtitles:

Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter - Part 1

Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter - Part 2

Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter - Part 3

• Like 2

Watching nothing to declare

Thank god im not Australian !

In AUstralia it shows as 'Border Security'

I always reckon the people get off easy on that show...

Yeah, you can bring in a pickled pigs head and a couple of Peking ducks from China, say you didn't understand the customs declaration, and you're home free. Be honest like I stupidly was and declare that I had a half pack of ciggies more than allowed, and get asked to pay duty on the whole 200 (carton of 10 packs), which came to over A$70. Told them to keep the lot and catch the real drug smugglers, who were probably sauntering through with a suitcase full of smack while they were wasting time with me. I detest the smug bastards, especially those working at airports in Oz.

• Like 1

Watching nothing to declare

Thank god im not Australian !

In AUstralia it shows as 'Border Security'

I always reckon the people get off easy on that show...

Yeah, you can bring in a pickled pigs head and a couple of Peking ducks from China, say you didn't understand the customs declaration, and you're home free. Be honest like I stupidly was and declare that I had a half pack of ciggies more than allowed, and get asked to pay duty on the whole 200 (carton of 10 packs), which came to over A$70. Told them to keep the lot and catch the real drug smugglers, who were probably sauntering through with a suitcase full of smack while they were wasting time with me. I detest the smug bastards, especially those working at airports in Oz.

Interestingly enough, last time I flew into Brisbane, they were filming an episode for Border Security

I have never seen so many customs officers at Brisbane, and all looking so neat and tidy.

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1