What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

22 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Each to their own. I much prefer dark, violent and humourless to fluffy romance, comedy or overdone CGI stunts. Seem to be very few movies these days intended purely for serious men. Guess that marketing to a wider audience detracts from purity.

Agreed it wasn't in the same league as Gran Torino, Hacksaw Ridge or Apocalypse Now.

I would put it in the "No Country for Old Men" category, but not nearly as good. I loved that movie, so maybe not fair to compare. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Land of Smiles (2017)

A Young Backpacker is lured through the third world paradise of Thailand searching for her kidnapped best friend and unknowingly she becomes the object of a sociopath's obsession.

Absolutely dreadful, worst acting I've seen in a long time.

• Like 1

The OA is the one it's a very strong cast it's weird but not weird it's a strange storyline bit it's up there as one if the best on Netflix if not the best content Netflix ever produced. Brit marling stars.

I came across another; KINGDOM got a 8.4 on imdb in 4 episodes in its macho and the sex scenes are pretty good but more so funny. The directors vp from sopranos gets doiked good in episode 4 the red head and she's still fit.

The Handmaid's Tale. Not for everyone, but after watching the first episode I was sucked in and watched the first 4 episodes straight. IMDB gives it 8.8.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thaifoodruns said:

I'm surprised you finished it,

Check IMDB it's rated 2.9, anything below 5 is not worth watching

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Never finished it, 15 minutes was more than enough. Because it had Thai content I mistakenly thought it was worth a try.

Edited by giddyup

The new Blade Runner's coming out in October. Hope they don't screw it up. Looks good but possibly a bit homogenized.

Edited by JSixpack

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

The Handmaid's Tale. Not for everyone, but after watching the first episode I was sucked in and watched the first 4 episodes straight. IMDB gives it 8.8.

I found it very slow and I was a big fan of the book. I turned it off halfway throughout the first episode. Maybe I will give it another try.

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

I found it very slow and I was a big fan of the book. I turned it off halfway throughout the first episode. Maybe I will give it another try.

It grabbed me right from the start, but as I said, it's not for everyone. I just downloaded the book, I had only read Crake and Oryx previously, which I really enjoyed.

Kajaki: A harrowing dramatisation about a specific operation involving 3 Para in Afghanistan .

Babs: A biopic of Barbera Windsor told in flashbacks. As a bloke I expected to turn it off after 10 mins but was wrong.

Both  are from the beeb this week.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

On 09/05/2017 at 8:07 AM, giddyup said:

Any shaggin or killing in it ?

Not sure I mentioned this before and I'm still wondering if the content was as marvellous as I found it to be or perhaps I was so desperate for content I succumbed.

The OA

No one had a gander at this?

6 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Not sure I mentioned this before and I'm still wondering if the content was as marvellous as I found it to be or perhaps I was so desperate for content I succumbed.

The OA

I watched a little bit and it seemed OK. It did not grab me immediately, but I will get back to it. I was hooked on "13 Reasons Why" at the time. It is for teenagers, but I liked the characters and I liked the acting. The lead is an Aussie (I think), but you could never tell. He accent and mannerisms are totally American. 

9 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

The OA

Managed the first episode , just thought it was rubbish

• Like 1

Just watched " Kajaki " It was made in 2014. Surprised that I had missed such an excellent tribute to our Military in Afganistan. A truly harrowing portrayal of their service and sacrifice.  Countless lives lost for an un-winnable cause.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, i claudius said:

Managed the first episode , just thought it was rubbish

Sameish feeling as me first episode too. I just carried on. It was a big surprise. S2 is enroute I'm told but difficult to think where it will head.