What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Recently watched the doco "Springsteen and I" which was produced by Ridley Scott.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Springsteen-I-DVD-NTSC-Bruce/dp/B00EDJ5W4S/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1387678144&sr=1-1&keywords=springsteen+and+I

I'm not a huge Springsteen fan but like a bit of his stuff. Wasn't sure how I would

feel about this one as a lot of reviews say it's for the die hard fans only.

I was pleasantly surprised though. Sure there's the obligatory nutbags, but I like Springsteen

more after watching this.

Watching him jam with a buskers in Sweden was really good. It also interviews people who have

gotten up on stage with him.

I'm giving it a 7.

This was advertised extensively on the channel i watched the cricket on last week (some sky feed via the net?)..good to hear its worth a watch.

Here's my assessment of the one's I've seen:

1. After Earth - Awfull with a passion, if I hadn't bought it on itunes, wouldn't have got past the first 30 mins it was so boring

2. Sharknado - So comically bad, it's almost entered my guilty pleasure list

3. Grown Ups 2, - Not seen

4. Movie 43 - Not seen

5. Iron Man 3 - Entertaining in a teenage boy kinda way...so OK for me LOL

6. Scary Movie 5 - Not seen

7. A Good Day to Die Hard - Mediocre at best, but I was comparing it to the Die Hard's of old, especially Die Hard 3

8. R.I.P.D - Not Seen

9. Man of Steel - Ditto for Iron Man

10. Lone Ranger - Jack Sparrow in a native american costume. Nuff Said!

I would have rated Lone Ranger higher

There were a few other worthwhile contenders for this list. One that comes to mind is the movie set in Thailand Only God Forgives

I have also heard Killing Season is a dog of a movie

• Like 1

Grown Ups 2 and Iron Man 3 wouldn't be anywhere near my top worst movies... I'd also put 'Silver Linings Playbook' in the top 20 worst list..

Yeah Grown Ups 2 was okay...certainly not a top 10 worst

I liked Silver Linings Playbook...one of my faves of the year! biggrin.png

Grown Ups 2 and Iron Man 3 wouldn't be anywhere near my top worst movies... I'd also put 'Silver Linings Playbook' in the top 20 worst list..

Yeah I was just left wondering "<deleted>" after watching Silver Linings Playbook... Just didn't appeal... Can't bring myself to watch it again either...

Movie review time...and I have two!

The first is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. Saw this one with the GF and the nephew on the big screen. It had a few laughs in, more so for the GF and nephew than myself. A couple of times they were having a right old cackle. Not sure what happened in meatballs 1, but suffice to say I don't think it matters if you saw it or not. For what it is, 5/10 from me.

The Impossible

This one has been out for about 12 months and the GF checked it out today. It is the story of a family and their story of survival in 2004 when the tsunami hit Phuket on boxing day. I have seen it before, but first time for the GF.

The story fairly much stays with the one family and is well presented, nothing too sensationalist, possible tear-jerker for some. Worth a watch, 7/10 from me

(The GF has some personal interest in the film as some of her family worked at one of the Hotels in Patong that was flattened at the time. She later worked in same hotel when it was re built smile.png )

Edited by BookMan

I hadn't seen Jobs until I was on a plane back to the US on Friday for the holidays. I watched it, but it was hard. I would also have nominated it, maybe not for the worst 10, but it would be in my top 20 for sure.

And as for 'God Only Forgives'....the producers better hope he does!

• Like 1

Yeah I was just left wondering "<deleted>" after watching Silver Linings Playbook... Just didn't appeal... Can't bring myself to watch it again either...

I liked Silver Linings a lot too, but they were too good looking for crazy people.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I liked Silver Linings a lot too, but they were too good looking for crazy people.

That's an American trait IMO. That's why English series are usually more realistic.

Most US series, the majority of the cast look like models, ranging from the FBI

agent to the cleaning lady.

Sometimes they'll throw in an ugly one for realismbiggrin.png

BTW, I thought SLP was pretty good, but a tad over-rated by the critics.

There's was a lot of hype before I saw it and I guess I was expecting too much.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

That's an American trait IMO. That's why English series are usually more realistic.

Often though the 'ugly' one is simply fat...or the 'ugly' one is a plain jane/jim type who, once glasses are removed , beauty is revealed tongue.png

• Like 1

Often though the 'ugly' one is simply fat...or the 'ugly' one is a plain jane/jim type who, once glasses are removed , beauty is revealed tongue.png

Oh you must be describing me!...remove my glasses, and the phoenix is born LOL

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

On a TV topic. Quicky British TV has had me hooked for the past couple of days..Gavin & Stacy. No laugh tracks, but very good sophisticated humor, without the 'sometimes' tendency of British comedy to either become really boring, or self indulgent, for example 'Whites'. The reference to Whites may tick off a few folks, but I really couldn't take to it

I'm actually back in the US for Christmas with my daughters, and yesterday we had a Will & Grace marathon. I had totally forgotten how much I loved that show

On a TV topic. Quicky British TV has had me hooked for the past couple of days..Gavin & Stacy. No laugh tracks, but very good sophisticated humor, without the 'sometimes' tendency of British comedy to either become really boring, or self indulgent, for example 'Whites'. The reference to Whites may tick off a few folks, but I really couldn't take to it

I'm actually back in the US for Christmas with my daughters, and yesterday we had a Will & Grace marathon. I had totally forgotten how much I loved that show

I couldn't take to Whites either. I'm a bit hot and cold on Alan Davies. Liked him in Jonathan Creek okay...and also in/on QI. In Jonathan Creek Davies plays a kind of Magician/illusionist/detective role. A new 90 minute episode came out this year. Jonathan Creek: The clue of the Savant's Thumb.

I'll have to catch up with an episode of Gavin & Stacy

I couldn't take to Whites either. I'm a bit hot and cold on Alan Davies. Liked him in Jonathan Creek okay...and also in/on QI. In Jonathan Creek Davies plays a kind of Magician/illusionist/detective role. A new 90 minute episode came out this year. Jonathan Creek: The clue of the Savant's Thumb.

I'll have to catch up with an episode of Gavin & Stacy

If you haven't seen Gavin and Stacey, do yourself a favour, it's really good.

• Like 2

Following on from GinBoy’s Canadain theme....I have a French/Canadian one and a French one to recommend ....

Incendies 2010

On the death of their mother, young adult twins, a brother and sister, are instructed in her will to travel to their homeland (un-named but based on Lebanon)and find a father they have never known and a brother they never knew they had.

This one has some real twists and turns. Powerful and confronting cinema, great stuff. Second time I have watched this one.

Spoken language French (some Arabic). English subtitles available

8/10 from me. Won’t be to everyone’s taste.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/incendies/

Blue is the Warmest Color - 2013

This is basically a movie about Love, but like a lot of French cinema this one is original and different. At times it is slow moving and length wise it is a hefty 179 minutes watching. One think I like about French cinema is the acceptance of events and the lack of (unnecessary) obvious explanation and build up for the viewer. I wasn’t sure where this movie was taking me , but I was happy with the experience

Some will be delighted to note there are long sex scenes, including lesbian love in intimate detail

Spoken language French. English subtitles available

6.5/10 from me

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blue_is_the_warmest_color/

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Following on from GinBoy’s Canadain theme....I have a French/Canadian one and a French one to recommend ....

Incendies 2010

On the death of their mother, young adult twins, a brother and sister, are instructed in her will to travel to their homeland (un-named but based on Lebanon)and find a father they have never known and a brother they never knew they had.

This one has some real twists and turns. Powerful and confronting cinema, great stuff. Second time I have watched this one.

Spoken language French (some Arabic). English subtitles available

8/10 from me. Won’t be to everyone’s taste.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/incendies/

Blue is the Warmest Color - 2013

This is basically a movie about Love, but like a lot of French cinema this one is original and different. At times it is slow moving and length wise it is a hefty 179 minutes watching. One think I like about French cinema is the acceptance of events and the lack of (unnecessary) obvious explanation and build up for the viewer. I wasn’t sure where this movie was taking me , but I was happy with the experience

Some will be delighted to note there are long sex scenes, including lesbian love in intimate detail

Spoken language French. English subtitles available

6.5/10 from me

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blue_is_the_warmest_color/

179 minutes is a lotta time investment for a love movie, certainly for a short attention span guy like me. However, the long intimate sex scenes are a plus, I'll check it out when I'm home. Watching that kind of stuff, even with adult daughters, can make me squirm!

Out of the Furnace

First thing you’ll notice about this is the stellar cast: Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Zoe Saldano, Forest Whittaker, Willem Defoe, Sam Shephard.

Christian bale is a standout. Harrelson plays a mean motherf#*ka and does it well. Scenes and settings are genuine American dirt poor redneck but despite the attention to detail and the big cast, the movie doesn’t quite pull it off.

Watchable and enjoyable enough, There are some surprises you don’t expect from this style of production. 6/10 from me

Just finished the series Endeavour

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DPL32N8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d3_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0C52SNRWC6D4TBH6HF39&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455345467&pf_rd_i=468294

Really enjoyed this one. English police drama at it's best. It's about the early days of Inspector Morse (which I haven't seen).

From IMDB: Following the young Endeavour Morse in his early day as an Oxford police constable working with CID, encountering Strange for the first time, and developing the notable personality traits he would latterly refine. Rated 8.3

For those of you that like the Pommy police/crime series, do yourself a favour and have a gander at this one.

• Like 1

I watched The Hobbit, The Desolation of Smaug last night, this is a very well made movie that is very close to the book, I read the whole collection from The Silmarilion to The Return of the King when I was younger. It is a long movie that requires a strong bladder, definitely worth seeing. 9/10

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well people my trip back to the US for Christmas was excellent if for nothing else than my Daughter introduced me to the hilarious show, 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'. Totally irreverent, if you like The League, you'll love this one

• Like 1

Well people my trip back to the US for Christmas was excellent if for nothing else than my Daughter introduced me to the hilarious show, 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'. Totally irreverent, if you like The League, you'll love this one

Ill check that one out...The League was/is terrifically funny