What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

My absolute favorite Peter Sellers movie of all time, Being There, a brilliant and funny film based on the also brilliant Jerzy Kosinski novella, featured a pretty crappy American accent by Sellers, but he was fantastic in the film anyway.

Peter Sellers (talk about your All Time Greats!) did a very good American accent (President of the United States Merkin Muffley) in Doctor Strangelove, when he wasn't being Group Captain Mandrake (British to the stiff upper lip), or The Doctor Himself, a strange Mittel Euro preview of Dr. Henry Kissinger long before that gentleman ever appeared on the world stage.

That was an interesting video. I really liked "Being There - the book and the film - but the accent did not stick out in my memory, so I looked it up and I see what you mean. I always took it as as part of acting mentally retarded and did not notice the accent part.

Kozinski was a colorful character and I remember it was in vogue (similar to Gore Vidal) to read his books in college, but Being There is one of those rare cases where because he also co-wrote the screenplay, reading the book and re-watching the film adds so many more dimensions to your understanding and appreciation of both the film and book. They really do complement one another.

Being there did motivate me to read all of his works, Painted Bird, etc.,, but Being There remained my favorite.

A few more Aussie ones....mainly movie actors. There are a lot more doing TV

Chris Hemsorth

Cate Blanchett

Nicole Kidman

Hugh Jackman

Margot Robbie

Naomi Watts

Joel Edgerton

Ben Mendelson

Noah taylor

Here's a few more you can add to the list:

Eric Bana

Toni Collete

Geoffrey Rush

Rose Byrne

Bryan Brown (just appeared in The Good Wife) &

probably my favourite Aussie actor, Richard Roxburgh.

Roxburgh is superb in Rake and Brilliant in Blue Murder

where he played Roger Rogerson.

• Like 1

A few more Aussie ones....mainly movie actors. There are a lot more doing TV

Chris Hemsorth

Cate Blanchett

Nicole Kidman

Hugh Jackman

Margot Robbie

Naomi Watts

Joel Edgerton

Ben Mendelson

Noah taylor

Yeah, here's my favorite pretty new Aussie actress - co-starring in 24 Live Another Day, and previously from Dexter. Perfect American accent:

Yvonne Strahovski

Yvonne%252BStrahovski%252B2nd%252BAnnual

• Like 1

^ Surely you jest. Who can forget the flawless cockney accent by Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins? That may have been slightly bettered by the Afrikaner South African accent by Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamonds....Nah, Van Dyke remains the American king of accents. smile.png

You forgot Sean Connery playing a Spaniard in Scotland for Highlander.

On a related topic about languages and dialects, for those of us who are multilingual in languages often used in films, it's amusing to watch actors struggle with their lines in foreign languages. Even epic performers like Robert Deneiro in Godfather II, who won his academy award speaking multiple Sicilian dialects, spoke horrible French in movies like Ronin (one of my all time favorites). I've never known whether his Sicilian accent was good or not, but it doesn't matter as he blew us all away with that performance anyway.

Matt Damon spoke seemingly every language in the Bourne series, but his Russian and German were better than his French. His Spanish wasn't bad.

(BTW, I feel qualified to judge because I speak all the above languages except Sicilian and a little German). wink.png

• Like 1

Last week i watched the last ship ,and wrote what i thought of it ,and said all they didnt do was join together and praise the lord,i spoke to soon ,they did this week ,as i have said many times the yanks can make some brilliant shows ,then they go and make chest beating ,moralising dross like this , o/10 no minus 2 out of ten its rubbish of the first degree. saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif and boring at that.

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 3

the last ship

Thanks for reminding me that the new episode is out. I just started downloading it. wai.gif The new season of Under the Dome has started and there is also a review of last season "The Making of Under the Dome" for those who've forgotten what happened last year.

Edited by Ulysses G.

On a related topic about languages and dialects, for those of us who are multilingual in languages often used in films, it's amusing to watch actors struggle with their lines in foreign languages.

I've heard a few actors supposedly speaking Thai in films where the characters they were speaking were supposed to be fluent. It was laughable to anyone who actually speaks the language even a little bit.

• Like 1

On a related topic about languages and dialects, for those of us who are multilingual in languages often used in films, it's amusing to watch actors struggle with their lines in foreign languages.

I've heard a few actors supposedly speaking Thai in films where the characters they were speaking were supposed to be fluent. It was laughable to anyone who actually speaks the language even a little bit.

I also get a kick out of watching the odd Farang on the talent shows on Thai TV, such as Thailand's Got Talent. Some of them speak Thai quite well, and others are pretty funny and you feel sorry for them sometimes because you know everyone is laughing at home.

the last ship

Thanks for reminding me that the new episode is out. I just started downloading it. wai.gif The new season of Under the Dome has started and there is also a review of last season "The Making of Under the Dome" for those who've forgotten what happened last year.

just downloaded under the dome and the leftovers, also have started all over again on the big bang ,apart from the fact that i would like to give Penny a very big bangtongue.png ,i still laugh as much the second time around.

the last ship

just downloaded under the dome and the leftovers, also have started all over again on the big bang ,apart from the fact that i would like to give Penny a very big bangtongue.png ,i still laugh as much the second time around.

I am very embarrassed to admit I like that mindless Under the Dome series. I was surprised it wasn't cancelled last year, but just downloaded & watched that first new episode of S2. It's good for watching in the background if you have things to do around the house like unimportant work or ironing clothes. giggle.gif

the last ship

just downloaded under the dome and the leftovers, also have started all over again on the big bang ,apart from the fact that i would like to give Penny a very big bang:P ,i still laugh as much the second time around.

Leftovers was very strange, the world changes because 2% of the people disappear?

And what's with the smokers? Quite amusing really.

Give me a break, 1 in 50 disappearing, I think not, 10-20% maybe.

the last ship

just downloaded under the dome and the leftovers, also have started all over again on the big bang ,apart from the fact that i would like to give Penny a very big bang:P ,i still laugh as much the second time around.

Leftovers was very strange, the world changes because 2% of the people disappear?

Its got one more chance with me, got a feeling zombies or something like that about to appear

Its got one more chance with me, got a feeling zombies or something like that about to appear

I thought the Leftovers were actually going to be the 1 or 2% who were leftover. I guess for scene setting it is far cheaper to have status quo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2699128/

Two more new series just started, I don't think have been mentioned yet

Dominion

SyFy channel show...Set in a post apocalyptic world, but with a slight difference. 2 episodes available so far. Not sure where this is going...Episode one is an extended length and was okay.

Continuing the theme of foreign actors playing Americans, one of the lead roles is Christopher Egan (the chosen one)

“Dominion” opens by informing viewers — via perhaps the most depressing on-air script ever — that 25 years ago, God disappeared, triggering an assault on Earth waged by angels under the leadership of the archangel Gabriel (Carl Beukes). Humans were able to repel them, we’re told, thanks in part to assistance from Gabriel’s winged peer Michael (Tom Wisdom), who has taken up residence in Vega (as in “Bright-light city gonna set my soul on fire”), one of the surviving outposts where people have congregated. http://variety.com/2014/tv/reviews/tv-review-syfys-dominion-1201219383/

Reckless. Episode 1 out now

Plenty of good eye candy, male/female in this one. Nothing grabbed me about it. Basically a Crime show but nothing gritty or new. It will have to improve to make it to a second Bookman season.

• Like 1

Last week i watched the last ship ,and wrote what i thought of it ,and said all they didnt do was join together and praise the lord,i spoke to soon ,they did this week ,as i have said many times the yanks can make some brilliant shows ,then they go and make chest beating ,moralising dross like this , o/10 no minus 2 out of ten its rubbish of the first degree. saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif and boring at that.

laugh.png

I caught episode 2 of The Last Ship today and I wasn't that taken. The Al Qaeda thing, then the spy on the boat, then the disguised russian vessel...all a bit too much...but I will give it a couple more episodes and see if it redeems itself

• Like 1

Another new one- Tyrant. Synopsis: Tyrant tells the story of an unassuming American family — Barry, Molly and their kids — drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle East nation.Tyrant is from Homeland executive producers Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff and Six Feet Under alum Craig Wright. It is created by Raff, developed by Gordon and Wright and to be directed by David Yates. The Fox 21-produced project, which will film the pilot in Morocco, has a big commitment at FX and is expected to go to series.

Just watched the pilot - looks good!

Great find on "Tyrant" looks excellent thumbsup.gif

This could be one hell of a series!

What a way to start, even the missus was like "fuuuuuck!"

Just watched the 2nd episode out today, and I'm thinking this one is not long for this world. Too heavy on the drama, too fake on the accents and settings, and relationships, and too much attention to a sub plot line of a gay teenager trying to pick up an Arab guy in a foreign country. I was hoping it would be sort of a foreign Homeland, but I'll stay with it week by week to see if it picks up. There is an interesting fish out of water story line going. We'll see but hopes not too high.

• Like 2

Just saw the premier episode of "Tyrant." Fictional contemporary "Arab" country. Aged tyrranical has two sons. (Think: Sonny and Michael Corleone.) The older son is a total cruel psycho. Interesting character, if only because of his depth of depravity, well played by Ashraf Barhom, who was so good in the Jamie Fox film, The Kingdom. The younger brother is played by some non-Arab English pretty boy actor, Adam Rayner, who tried to drop out of the family by being a pediatrician in L.A. So far, he shows me nothing.

This show had a lot of hype buildup, (lots of info on Google) and FX hopes it will be another bust-out hit like Breaking Bad. I don't see that happening. If it doesn't cause a shitstorm of protest in the Arrab world, they'll be lucky. There is a big load of offensive material here, and the offense is compounded by having heavy Israeli involvement in the production.

Very controversial stuff in this mix. I'll watch a few more episodes, just to see how much more twisted and vile it can get. I wouldn't be surprised if they yank it before the first season runs out.

On the other hand, I am really enjoying Halt and Catch Fire, about a group of believable characters at a small Texas company in the early 80's, struggling to build an IBM clone of advanced design and performance. Good scripts, good acting, diminished somewhat (IMHO, of course) by gratuitous scenes of random heavy sex, X/Y, X/X, X/?

laugh.png

I caught episode 2 of The Last Ship today and I wasn't that taken. The Al Qaeda thing, then the spy on the boat, then the disguised russian vessel...all a bit too much...but I will give it a couple more episodes and see if it redeems itself

I don't think anything could redeem it ,even if Penny from the big bang came onboard and did a striptease----------- well,maybe i would watch that ,no i really would.tongue.png

You forgot Simon Baker and the blond who plays Casey in Chicago Fire and was also in Dr House. They are Ozzies.

Jesse Spencer? Like most of the new wave of Aussies in Hollywood, got his start on one of our (in)famous soaps - Neighbours... If you were an aussie and an actor, that show, along with Home & Away were shows where you cut your teeth before heading for the big lights...

Some alumni of both shows:

Kylie Minogue

Guy Pearce

Natalie Imbruglia

Delta Goodrem

Russell Crowe (but he's not an aussie aussie, he's one of those kiwi aussies :P)

Radha Mitchell

Holly Valance

Home & Away counts among its alumni

Chris Hemsworth (the Hemsworth brothers are like the Australian version of the Baldwins :P)

Melissa George

Isla Fisher

Isabel Lucas

Nic Bishop

Julian McMahon

Sharni Vinson

Christ it's like taking a trip down memory lane rattling off shows like Neighbours and Home & Away... Can't believe they're both still going (although I believe H&A finishes up next year)

Other good aussie actors not mentioned: Hugo Weaving

• Like 1

I have just finished a marathon of all 16 series of Midsomer Murders. Taken me a couple of months. But if you want a taste of how beautiful England can be and throw in some spectacular murders and the usual nonsense that sunday evening uk tv throws up, this series is a winner.

Misfits series 5 was excellent. All 5 seasons were excellent

Now on ep 2 of true detective and liking it.

• Like 2