Trump administration moves to expel some 57,000 Hondurans

rooster59

Trump administration moves to expel some 57,000 Hondurans

By Mica Rosenberg and Gustavo Palencia

800x800 (4).jpg

FILE PHOTO: An aircraft carrying deportees, including a group of Honduran children from the U.S., taxis down the runway at the international airport in San Pedro Sula, northern Honduras July 14, 2014. REUTERS/Jorge Cabrera/File Photo

NEW YORK/TEGUCIGALPA (Reuters) - The Trump administration said on Friday it will end temporary protections for immigrants in the United States from Honduras on Jan. 5, 2020, leaving potentially 57,000 people vulnerable to deportation.

It is the latest in a series of decisions by President Donald Trump to shut down temporary protected status (TPS) granted to immigrants after natural disasters or violent conflicts that would prevent them from safely returning to their home countries.

The government of Honduras said on Friday that it "profoundly regrets the cancellation of the programme" and pledged free legal and consular support for Hondurans living in the United States.

Marlon Tabora, the Honduras ambassador to the United States, said the conditions did not exist in the Central American country to deal with the repatriation of tens of thousands of people.

"These families have lived in the United States for 20 years and re-integrating them into the country will not be easy if they decide to return," he said.

After El Salvador, Hondurans are the second largest nationality with TPS to lose their status, which was granted to the country in 1999 following the devastation of Hurricane Mitch.

The government said it had conducted a review and found "conditions in Honduras that resulted from the hurricane have notably improved." The 18-month timeline to end the programme would allow "individuals with TPS to arrange for their departure or to seek an alternative lawful immigration," the Department of Homeland Security said in a statement.

The Boston-based Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Economic Justice said later on Friday that it would amend a legal complaint filed in February to include the Hondurans affected. The original complaint challenged the Trump administration's decision to terminate a similar programme protecting immigrants from Haiti and El Salvador.

In January, the Trump administration ended TPS classification for some 200,000 Salvadorans, who had been allowed to live and work in the United States since 2001. Their status will expire in 2019.

The administration also recently ended the programme for Nepal.

TPS critics complain that repeated extensions in six- to 18-month increments of the status, sometimes for decades, has given beneficiaries de facto residency in the United States.

In November, then-acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke set a deadline of six months to make a decision about TPS for Honduras, which is one of the most violent countries in the Western Hemisphere and recently has been convulsed by protests following a contested presidential election. Duke is no longer in charge, replaced by Kirstjen Nielsen.

Most of the other countries that have come up for TPS review have had the status terminated, except for Syria, which is in the midst of a devastating war.

Canada has become the target of choice for those who fear deportation from the United States. Last year, almost 10,000 Haitians crossed the border illegally amid fears their U.S. temporary protected status might end.

Canadian Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said Hondurans had until 2020 to decide what to do, meaning it was unlikely people would rush north.

"I don't believe we will see that wave of individuals coming to Canada," he told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

The decisions on TPS are upending the lives of people who have settled in the United States, sometimes for decades, according to immigration advocates.

"They have made enormous contributions to this nation as workers, small-business owners, homeowners, parents of U.S. citizens and community members," said Frank Sharry, executive director at the Washington-based America's Voice Education Fund.

Some Democratic lawmakers decried the decision and said Congress should act to pass legislation that would allow long-time TPS holders to remain in the United States.

Karen Valladares, the director of the National Forum for Migration, a non-governmental organisation in Honduras, said people continue to leave because of gang and drug-related violence and lack of economic opportunities.

"There have not been concrete improvements in the security situation," Valladares said. In some ways, she added, "Honduras is worse off than when they left."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-05
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Facts -

TPS holders from El Salvador, Honduras, and Haiti contribute:

• a combined $4.5 billion in pre-tax wages or salary income annually to the  nation’s gross domestic product.
  • Social Security and Medicare contributions of those individuals is estimated at more than $6.9 billion over a decade.
  • 88.5% are working — 94% of men and 82% of women

https://immigrationforum.org/blog/fact-sheet-temporary-protected-status/

Deportation of TSP holders will cost:

• $3.1 billion dollars for processing and relocation

• $45.2 billion reduction in GDP over a decade

• wholesale lay-off of the entire employed TPS population would result in $967 million of

turnover costs, e.g. costs employers incur when an employee leaves a position

• a $6.9 billion reduction to Social Security and Medicare contributions over a decade

https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/resources/2017-04-18_economic_contributions_by_salvadoran_honduran_and_haitian_tps_holders.pdf

As these people are likely getting low wages and minimal healthcare, it is the American citizens who are getting the who get the advantages of TSP people's residence. TSP people are buttressing Trump's employment figures and tax revenues. They are earning their stay.

Facts have no relevance to these RWNJ.  Please refrain from confusing them. It only makes them spew more nonsense.  Happily their time is nearly done.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Trouble said:

What do you suppose it costs to provide medical care for someone making $20,000 a year?  How about education for their kids?  At $20,000 per year they are not probably paying state or federal taxes when adding in deductions for dependents. Sorry but to the taxpayer it's a net loss. 

Free medical care?  Are you some sort of liberal snowflake?

10 hours ago, Trouble said:

What do you suppose it costs to provide medical care for someone making $20,000 a year?  How about education for their kids?  At $20,000 per year they are not probably paying state or federal taxes when adding in deductions for dependents. Sorry but to the taxpayer it's a net loss. 

Yeah I agree.

They should be better paid and the US provide universal healthcare.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Most working people are provided medical care through their employer and pay a per cent of their salary for this.  If by chance, the company does not provide it- the worker signs up via Obamacare and again pays for the care based upon their income.  There is no 'free' medical care in America.

All of  the people under  protected status are in the US legally and Trump's removal of the status will cause huge economic impact to the US; employers and of course the average Honduran who has been in the Us for almost 20 years.

America is a country of Immigrants and was built on Immigrant labor.  If Trump wants to change the Immigration laws- draw up a comprehensive Immigration Bill and present it to the Congress and see if they will pass it.  They won't because they know a majority of Americans do not want to deport protected status immigrants or the DACA Immigrants.

Trump and his alt right minions- are living in the 19th Century when they tried to exclude certain 'types' of people based upon race or ethnic background. It didn't work then and was found to be discriminatory and it won't work know. Trump just can

t seem to understand- people have a right to due process.

What is the 'alt-right' and which ethnic backgrounds and races did Trump try to exclude?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Trump hasn't even figured out that he is from an Immigrant family- his mother was born in Scotland.

Nor does he want to advertise that his 3rd wife Melanie is from Slovenia and his 1st wife was from the Czech Republic.

• Like 1

Rather than me providing examples of how Trump responds regarding these issues- you may want to Google-   Representative maxine Waters;  Rep Elijah Commings and othes of the Black Caucus.  They will provide you with many examples of why they feel Trump adheres to racist ideas and supports  White Supremacists.

I might remind  that the issue is not about illegal immigration but about protect status- all these immigrants are legally in the US and Trump wants to  deport them after almost 20 years; He has done the Same to the Salvadorans and Haitians.  the majority of these people are working; paying their taxes and not taking jobs Americans would fill.

If Trump were President when my grandmother and grandfather on both sides emigrated from Denmark and Italy- they would not have qualified for entry as they did not speak English and were poor.  They built America just as all the other Immigrants from all over the World.  You might want to read the inscription on the Statue of Liberty- I doubt Trump has ever read it.

I bring up the point of Thailand and all the Westerners living here- we are in essence immigrants to Thailand (actually temporary immigrants as very few hold Permanent Residence).  Let's hope Thailand never speaks about us in the way Trump speaks about immigrants to America.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Rather than me providing examples of how Trump responds regarding these issues- you may want to Google-   Representative maxine Waters;  Rep Elijah Commings and othes of the Black Caucus.  They will provide you with many examples of why they feel Trump adheres to racist ideas and supports  White Supremacists.

I might remind  that the issue is not about illegal immigration but about protect status- all these immigrants are legally in the US and Trump wants to  deport them after almost 20 years; He has done the Same to the Salvadorans and Haitians.  the majority of these people are working; paying their taxes and not taking jobs Americans would fill.

If Trump were President when my grandmother and grandfather on both sides emigrated from Denmark and Italy- they would not have qualified for entry as they did not speak English and were poor.  They built America just as all the other Immigrants from all over the World.  You might want to read the inscription on the Statue of Liberty- I doubt Trump has ever read it.

I bring up the point of Thailand and all the Westerners living here- we are in essence immigrants to Thailand (actually temporary immigrants as very few hold Permanent Residence).  Let's hope Thailand never speaks about us in the way Trump speaks about immigrants to America.

Well you should be able to make a claim and argue that claim with direct evidence to support it. Nowadays especially university students and millennials consider a simple disagreement with a black person to be 'racist' so excuse me if I don't take these unsubstantiated claims very serious.

So which races is he restricting? 

And it's TEMPORARY protect status not just 'protect status. There are rules to follow, the same sort of rules that so many of these wonderful 3rd world countries implement but yet nobody ever brings up because you can't guilt those people into handing over resources and power..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, underlordcthulhu said:

Well you should be able to make a claim and argue that claim with direct evidence to support it. Nowadays especially university students and millennials consider a simple disagreement with a black person to be 'racist' so excuse me if I don't take these unsubstantiated claims very serious.

So which races is he restricting? 

And it's TEMPORARY protect status not just 'protect status. There are rules to follow, the same sort of rules that so many of these wonderful 3rd world countries implement but yet nobody ever brings up because you can't guilt those people into handing over resources and power..

If your disagreement is based on the colour of their skin, then it is indeed racist.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaidream said:

....Trump needs to present a comprehensive Immigration Bill to the Us Congress which covers ways to enter the US legally for Immigrant labor; provide a way to legality for those already here; and streamlines  things like legality of children born in America; chain migration; the immigration lottery; investment Visas and more.

unless i'm mistaken, that's not the way it works.  congress writes the laws.

el presidente is responsible for enforcement.  if congress chooses, they

may write new TPS laws or new DACA laws.  so far, they have chosen not to.

TPP status is not an immigration program, and does not confer any rights

to citizenship or residence once the protected status has ended.  it is a

time-limited waiver of existing laws for folks from countries affected by

natural disasters or other situations. 

if my reading is correct, while under protected status, there is no prohibition

on applying for immigration or residency under other programs.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Some people on the board who support Trump haven't figured out that they are Immigrants to Thailand ad should Thailand spout the same racist view that Trump holds- they wouldn't be here.

None of us are here because our country had a disaster 20 years ago, and we pay our way. We get nothing for free from LOS. Every baht I pay here comes from overseas, so i'm of net benefit to Thailand.

Despite all the deflections to non relevant subjects, the point of this thread is that people that were only in the US under TEMPORARY status have been allowed to stay on long past time they should have returned to their own countries. If they want to become permanent US citizens they should apply for residence.

BTW, it's not Trump's job to make legislation about immigration; that is what congress is supposed to do.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Take a look around America-

-Who is driving the taxicabs

-Who is doing basic labor on construction sites

-Who is picking vegetables in the fields

-Who is working in  poultry processing plans

-Who is working in car washes

All these jobs pay minimum wage.  Would you take these jobs if immigrants were not filling them?  Of course, we can deport all immigrants and ask the  business owners to start people off at $20 per hour which will raise the prices considerably for all Americans and force some companies out of business.

And this is where the wheels come off.  The classic "Americans won't do these jobs!" .....at the wages that are being offered.  If you can't attract labor, then you need to pay more money.  Econ 101.  If your crappy business can't survive without scab labor then it deserves to go under.

Also I'm a born US citizen and I've both worked at a car wash and driven a cab when times were tough, so saying Americans would rather collect welfare instead of working low end jobs is flat out wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They were allowed temporary residence status. US Code 1182 gives the president supreme authority on this issue. Furthermore, immigration is at the heart of why Trump was elected. And as a wise man once said, "elections have consequences". I don't see the big deal here at all. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sukhumvitneon said:

Also I'm a born US citizen and I've both worked at a car wash and driven a cab when times were tough, so saying Americans would rather collect welfare instead of working low end jobs is flat out wrong.

I have also worked low end jobs when it was necessary. However, the number of people on food stamps and other gimme programs indicates your last paragraph is very likely incorrect.

Edited by BuriramSam
Typo