Flight tickets

I travel to Thailand on a Non-Immigrant "O" multiple entry visa and have done for 6 years. I am considering changing my routine and want to stay for an 11 months spell.

I'm married to a Thai national.

Question:- Can I travel from Europe on a one way ticket without getting problems at Suvarnabhumi immigration?

I am currently on a NonIm-O spousal 1 yr multi and entered with one way ticket no prob.  But be aware that you can't stay for 11 months continuous.  The multiple entry visa requires that you exit every 90 days max and get stamped back in.  Be sure you want to do this, as traveling for a visa run is no small matter, depending on where you will stay in Thailand. If you don't really want to have to do the 90 day exit/enter routine, then go for a 90 day NonImO spousal and extend for the balance of the year based on marriage or retirement if you qualify. 

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

With a non-o visa you will (ok, should) have no problems.

One would think, but then you have the airlines that demand you must have a return ticket (happens to me in Auss ).

Had to fire up computer to show them since it was a different carrier

5 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

I am currently on a NonIm-O spousal 1 yr multi and entered with one way ticket no prob.  But be aware that you can't stay for 11 months continuous.  The multiple entry visa requires that you exit every 90 days max and get stamped back in.  Be sure you want to do this, as traveling for a visa run is no small matter, depending on where you will stay in Thailand. If you don't really want to have to do the 90 day exit/enter routine, then go for a 90 day NonImO spousal and extend for the balance of the year based on marriage or retirement if you qualify. 

Also not forgetting that when enter the country & get your 90 days you can go to Immigration & get a 60 day extension for "visiting wife ". Then go & do a boarder run & another 60 day ext.

Just now, BEVUP said:

One would think, but then you have the airlines that demand you must have a return ticket (happens to me in Auss ).

I've had issues with front line staff in India, despite showing them multi re-entry permit and my work permit, finally sorted with the supervisor. Turns out they had been told everyone must have a return flight (IIRC Indian nationals must) but hadn't been briefed on foreigners.

• Like 1

I don't think Stuart F was inquiring about Australia or India, he wanted experiences on entering Thailand with a one way ticket.  I'm just saying, I've done it many times over 16 years, sometimes traveling with my Thai wife and sometimes not, and never had a problem with the one way or had to show financials. But then everyone has their own experiences.  I've been lucky in general with Thai immigration. Just follow the rules, withhold judgement, keep a cool head on, suppress your frustrations. 

7 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

I don't think Stuart F was inquiring about Australia or India, he wanted experiences on entering Thailand with a one way ticket.

The 2 countries were used as examples as they are where us people come from.

& they do have a big effect if the airlines (in any country for that matter ) insist on you having a return ticket ( due to them not having to pay for return ticket due to some unforseen event ).

So yes it is hit & miss in one you may have to by a return ticket or on the other hand you get lucky & end up at Thai Immigration trying to enter Thailand with a one way ticket.

There are posts on here that have mentioned Immigration has the right to see a return ticket. Also posters have mentioned just to buy the cheapest flight out to neighbouring country & throw it away/ect .

Thanks for helpful info. I have 3 months to consider my options. Maybe the biggest stumbling block will be at check-in counter in Europe. I have experienced minor delays by having a Non "O" visa which ran out before my return flight was due -  the counter staff were unaware of extra 3 month extension which is available - soon sorted by a supervisor though.

2 hours ago, Stuart F said:

I have experienced minor delays by having a Non "O" visa which ran out before my return flight was due -  the counter staff were unaware of extra 3 month extension which is available

Only a 60-days extension for being married to a Thai.  The airlines don't consider the extension for a visa-exempt entry (must be within 30 days), but no outbound-flight at all is required if you have a valid visa (Tourist, Non-O, etc).

The problem with one-way tickets

So here’s the issue: technically speaking, immigration could deny you entry to a country for a range of different reasons. If that were to happen, the airline would be liable for flying you back to your point of origin.

That’s why airlines can sometimes get fussy when you’re trying to fly on a single ticket. Even though they sold you a one-way ticket, once you actually get to the check-in desk they might start to ask you about your return ticket or proof of onward travel. That’s because they don’t want to risk having to take you back if there are any issues at all at immigration. 

Now, one of the frustrating things is that the rule is inconsistently applied.

Flying on a one-way ticket is often no problem whatsoever, but then occasionally you end up facing some major difficulties. This is why when you’re researching this issue online, you are sure to find lots of different opinions based on many individual experiences. But the reality is that a lot depends on the airline’s policies, where you are trying to fly, and whether you happen to have any bad luck that day.

6 hours ago, Stuart F said:

Question:- Can I travel from Europe on a one way ticket without getting problems at Suvarnabhumi immigration?

• It's not required by immigration so you shouldn't have any problem at BKK.
  • Some airlines don't have the correct information about Thai immigration policy, and might insist that you have an onward flight.

2 hours ago, BEVUP said:

The problem with one-way tickets

So here’s the issue: technically speaking, immigration could deny you entry to a country for a range of different reasons. If that were to happen, the airline would be liable for flying you back to your point of origin.

That’s why airlines can sometimes get fussy when you’re trying to fly on a single ticket. Even though they sold you a one-way ticket, once you actually get to the check-in desk they might start to ask you about your return ticket or proof of onward travel. That’s because they don’t want to risk having to take you back if there are any issues at all at immigration. 

Now, one of the frustrating things is that the rule is inconsistently applied.

Flying on a one-way ticket is often no problem whatsoever, but then occasionally you end up facing some major difficulties. This is why when you’re researching this issue online, you are sure to find lots of different opinions based on many individual experiences. But the reality is that a lot depends on the airline’s policies, where you are trying to fly, and whether you happen to have any bad luck that day.

Thank you very much that information is exactly what I was looking for. I guess contact chosen airline prior to booking to find their policy on this issue.

2 hours ago, Stuart F said:

Thank you very much that information is exactly what I was looking for. I guess contact chosen airline prior to booking to find their policy on this issue.

And, if ncessary, check with them whether it would be possible for you to sign a disclaimer absolving them from bearing the cost of flying you back to your airport of origin, as an alternative to purchasing an onward flight ticket.

• Like 1

I f you have a valid visa you will not require a onward flight booking.

I had few scenarios booking in and staff pulled me on no onward flight, I highlight my visa, they get briefed by people who do know the rules and on you go.

Highly unlikely have issues with thai immigration and onward flights when have a visa but if been spending fair bit of time here it is possible if pull you in for questioning.

Those on visa exempt will need onward flights as most airlines stricter at following rules as they know currently thai immigration at 2 main airports are being more stringent especially for those with lot of previous entry history .

If you got lot of entry history a belt and braces approach to onward travel and finance requirements is best to save potential unrecoverable hassle at flight booking in and thai immigration counter.

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

Unfortionatley alot of you people don't get it

There are airlines that will require you to have a return ticket (that bit isn't hard )

So if he doesn't have this in the first place, how in the hell is he even going to make it to thailand

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Unfortionatley alot of you people don't get it

There are airlines that will require you to have a return ticket (that bit isn't hard )

So if he doesn't have this in the first place, how in the hell is he even going to make it to thailand

Some airline staff are misinformed.  A supervisor can almost always get it straightened out.  if the supervisor is also ignorant, offer to sign an indemnity form.  If extra-stubborn and ignorant, absolute worst case (very unlikely), arrive early, so can book a cheap flight to KUL or similar on one's phone 29 days out as a throwaway ticket.

Edited by JackThompson

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Some airline staff are misinformed.  A supervisor can almost always get it straightened out.  if the supervisor is also ignorant, offer to sign an indemnity form.  If extra-stubborn and ignorant, absolute worst case (very unlikely), arrive early, so can book a cheap flight to KUL or similar on one's phone 29 days out as a throwaway ticket.

& what if you have an airline with a policy of a return flight

Maybe no need to answer that as you would just pick another company if you have the choice 

3 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

& what if you have an airline with a policy of a return flight

Maybe no need to answer that as you would just pick another company if you have the choice 

I have not heard of a "return ticket only" airline-policy - even for entering w/o a visa, where an onward flight is required.

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I have not heard of a "return ticket only" airline-policy - even for entering w/o a visa, where an onward flight is required.

Well I have in Auss, can't remember which one but as mentioned had to fire up computer to show them as my return flight was with a different carrier 

PS : That was with a Non "O" marriage visa

Also not forgetting that Auss is a Nanny country

Edited by BEVUP