Too old for Thailand?

Dick Crank

58 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Good point.  I've seen people unwilling to move to assisted living when they really should because they have a condo or house full of stuff that they just can't part with.  In truth much of that stuff could go with them to the assisted living place and there is help available for sorting through it.  Of course, if they go to sell things they'll discover even nice appliances and furniture are worth a small fraction of what they paid. No one is going to give you even half the price you paid for a four year old TV when there have been so many improvements in the past four years, for example.  

And it's even worse when someone should return to their home country and have acquired stuff here that they just can't part with.  Or worse yet, think their loved ones will be interest in, so they pay a fortune to have it shipped back.

Hubby and I came over here 10 years ago with just four large suitcases of stuff and had some boxes mailed from the U.S.  Since then we've bought a condo full of stuff, but it's all expendable.  Well, except maybe for the two cats.  Edit:  and my refrigerator.  Really love the refrigerator, but I could be convinced to give that up if I was no longer doing any cooking.

I personally know people who live with the shutters closed so sunlight does not fade stuff in the house like books, paintings etc and who don't go on vacation because it's not good for the car to sit stationary that long.

4 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

I personally know people who live with the shutters closed so sunlight does not fade stuff in the house like books, paintings etc and who don't go on vacation because it's not good for the car to sit stationary that long.

Couldnt they drive to their vacation spot ?

54 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

you should give your friends a review :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Some of these steep ramps are in hospitals!  There's no way someone can deal with the ramps on their own, as a self-powered wheelchair.  Even an attendant has challenges.  The way to go down a steep ramp is backward, with the attendant using their body weight to stop the momentum of the wheelchair.  Fortunately, I've always found bystanders willing to help when I'm the attendant with someone in a wheelchair.  

Exactly.      I once saw a ramp at a hotel that was definitely at a  minimum 45 degree incline.   Whomever was responsible for the design of that needs a head examination.      As populations continue to age into  ever higher years   there'll be  more and more need for attention to be given to  mobility issues.

On 5/7/2018 at 1:08 PM, The manic said:

Yes. My friend is 72 and has a long time carer and sexual partener who he pays.

Yes, a great option.   But now with the availability of those little blue pills....my caretakers keep asking

for overtime pay !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Exactly.      I once saw a ramp at a hotel that was definitely at a  minimum 45 degree incline.   Whomever was responsible for the design of that needs a head examination.      As populations continue to age into  ever higher years   there'll be  more and more need for attention to be given to  mobility issues.

Damn, i think, one doesn´t think about wheelchairs until he sits in one . . .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, starfish said:

Damn, i think, one doesn´t think about wheelchairs until he sits in one . . .

Getting about in a wheelchair in Thailand was pretty horrid.

I must say that the only good thing was that I was generally treated with a good deal of respect and courtesy by the Thai people which raised them very high in my estimation.

Generally speaking I was limited to trips to Tesco-Lotus and the local hospital.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I must say that the only good thing was that I was generally treated with a good deal of respect and courtesy by the Thai people which raised them very high in my estimation.

Generally speaking I was limited to trips to Tesco-Lotus and the local hospital.

I think Thailand is not to bad for that, as they respect their elders.

But i would send them around, i have many wishes  :smile:

Edited by starfish

13 minutes ago, starfish said:

I think Thailand is not to bad for that, as they respect their elders.

But i would send them around, i have many wishes  :)

Yes, they respect their elders here, but not enough to keep their mobility in mind when they construct buildings, footpaths, road crossings, or even homes. 

They still have the mindset that family members will take care of their elders, meaning that elders are expected to stay home or at the temple or maybe sit around the business of a younger family member and not have their own active social life outside a very narrow sphere.  And that they will have many relatives to move them around physically if they become disabled.  This model, however, is becoming outdated as more and more Thai families have just one or two children and those children don't remain in the family home taking care of their parents.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, starfish said:

I will clean out my house, first thing in the morning, she doesn´t deserve anything worse, thats not a question, but an answer !

NancyL you´re helpfull, thank you !

I am going to allow myself one small box of goodies. 

The relatives do not want pictures, nicknacks, old clothes, old appliances. If it doesn’t have a G attached to it. Out it goes. 

39 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I am going to allow myself one small box of goodies. 

The relatives do not want pictures, nicknacks, old clothes, old appliances. If it doesn’t have a G attached to it. Out it goes. 

Sorry, what is a "G" ? Or do i get to old for this. It slowly creeps up on me. "Is it me or you ?" Thats the question i more and more ask myself.

Guys, please tell me i´m still insane :smile: what the f. is "G" ?

I think it´s still you.

Edited by starfish

2 hours ago, starfish said:

Sorry, what is a "G" ? Or do i get to old for this. It slowly creeps up on me. "Is it me or you ?" Thats the question i more and more ask myself.

I think it´s still you.

Not to worry.

Chair is just being a bit silly.

2 hours ago, starfish said:

I think it´s still you.

Was a bit of tongue in cheek, cheeky. 

Gold. 

If it doesn’t have gold attached to it, they don't want it. 

13 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Was a bit of tongue in cheek, cheeky. 

Gold. 

If it doesn’t have gold attached to it, they don't want it. 

Shit, i´m really to slow, but it´s probably because i don´t think first of Gold :smile:

Edited by starfish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

These days electric wheelchairs are an option. They can pretty much go anywhere a motorbike can go and more.

what century are u living in? Or std u some sort of pauper who can only afford a manual wheelchair?

23 hours ago, JLCrab said:

I'm not so sure that it's a great idea to have your care giver and your sex partner to be the same person -- but up to you.

What is the point of your comment?

My wife is my carer, and a very good one, now most wheelchair bound people are not able to have sex.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2018 at 8:37 AM, NancyL said:

If someone is bedbound and needs tube feeding, daily dressing changes and other regular nursing services, they can live at McKean Rehab Center. 

What kind of "exit" options are there here? I reckon I am too pragmatic to stick around willingly  once I have reached that stage, and I wouldn't want my daughter to see me like that.

For instance could one refuse any permanent tube feeding in living will?

Edited by KiChakayan

40 minutes ago, colinneil said:

My wife is my carer, and a very good one, now most wheelchair bound people are not able to have sex.

Your wife is your wife. A care giver is a professional nurse maybe on off-hours. A sex partner can also be a professional but that's another topic.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Neil, JLCrab mentioned somewhere in this thread that he has never been married, and I doubt he is wheelchair bound. So you reckon he knows what he is talking about..

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Your wife is your wife. A care giver is a professional nurse maybe on off-hours. A sex partner can also be a professional but that's another topic.

Nonsense, my wife does everything i need, no nurse could do more, she was taught how to do things by nurses/ doctors at the hospital before i was discharged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

I think that you are under-rating Colin’s wife and over-rating Thai ‘care givers’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1