Hang Lay?

ourmanflint

Had this in Chiang Mai recently next to the night bazaar.... and it was fantastic, one of the best things I've tasted in a long while. I tried it again around town , but nothing was quite as good as that first one which was a much darker colour than the others. It had this incredible aftertaste, something I sort of know but can't put my finger on.

Looked on the internet and they all look a bit anaemic, anyone got a good recipe for me??

:o

Had this in Chiang Mai recently next to the night bazaar.... and it was fantastic, one of the best things I've tasted in a long while. I tried it again around town , but nothing was quite as good as that first one which was a much darker colour than the others. It had this incredible aftertaste, something I sort of know but can't put my finger on.

Looked on the internet and they all look a bit anaemic, anyone got a good recipe for me??

What is it, Flint?

What is it, Flint?

It's a rich Burmese style curry.... I need my fix!!!

It's delicious....

This is wot my wife does:

The Hung Lay powder you buy in small packets

Marinate the pork overnite with this powder

Use Massaman curry paste to make the curry and then depending on your taste mix in a combination of

Tammarind juice

Ginger

Pickled garlic small ones + juice

Hope this helps.

Ed; peanuts can also be added :o

Edited by OneeyedJohn

Dont be shy with the tamarind juice and ginger if you want it to taste good. Some places serve a watery version which in my opinion is crap. It should be thick to be good.

The best 'kaeng hang lee' (or 'gaeng hung lay' if you're from the South of England) paste is to be found at Kaat Luang in Chiang Mai and is home made. The stuff you can get in dep. stores does not compare.

I have tried using chicken instead of pork, and while it works reasonably well, it becomes quite dry, and really needs the pork fat to get that special savoury taste. Just remove the fatty parts off the meat when eating it.

I just did this curry 3 weeks ago

I used Red curry paste paste 100g instead hunglay curry paste coz i had no time to do it

(anyway you can buy Hunglay curry paste "LOBO" from supermarket and do it follow direction )

My lazy recipe

1 Red curry paste 100g

2 Pork loin 500 g (cut in 1" cubes)

3 Pork Belly 250 g (you can cut it off if you worry about weight gain)(cut in 1" cubes)

4 Huglay Powder (my dad bought it from Mainmar border) ..you can use Yellow curry powder instead

5 sweet black soya sauce 1-2 Tb spoon

6tamarind juice ( u can buy instant one aswell -Tamarind Paste "TALAD THAI" in a jar)

7salt

8sliced ginger (~1/3-1/2 cup)

9 pickled garlic (or fresh garlic) (15 gloves+)

10 water (~1 1/2 cup)

Marinated 1+2+3+4+5 atleast 1 hrs

Stirred fried ingredient above

add water..boild it till pork is tender

add salt /tammarind juice/paste ... taste till you like it ( i also add abit of sugar.. i love sweet food) :o

This kind of curry is not watery soup ..but its pretty thickness

NOTE

HUNGLAY CURRY PASTE -LOBO

HUNGLAY.jpg

4.jpg

am I mistaken?, but I don't see any nam pla or handfuls of chile involved???...if so, I will try it out directly as I'm goin' to tescos tmw...hope I can find alla de ingredients...

great foto, bambi...the food looks wonderful...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

This is a Northern Thai/Burmese style of curry paste

Ingredients of Paste

* 3 tablespoons of very thinly sliced lemon grass

* 3 tablespoons of palm sugar

* 1 tablespoon thick soy sauce

* 2 tablespoons of garlic, minced

* 2 tablespoons dried red Thai chile peppers, crumbled

* 2 tablespoons of shallots (small red or purple onions), thinly sliced

* 1 tablespoon ginger, grated

* 1 tablespoon shrimp paste

* 1 tablespoon coriander seed

* 1 tablespoon cumin seed

* pinch turmeric powder

* quarter cup fish sauce

* 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate mixed with 3 tablespoons water

Now for the rest...

* 1 pound pork or chicken - chopped into 2 cm cubes.

* 2 tablespoons fish sauce

* 2 tablespoons palm sugar

* 1 teaspoon of Gaeng Hanglay curry paste

* 2 tablespoons oil

* 1/2 litre of water

* 50 g peanuts - roasted until brown

* 30 g ginger - skin removed and cut into strips

Preparing:

Put all the ingredients for the paste together and pound using a pestle or liquidize for about 10 minutes until the paste is smooth. put the pork, or chicken, into a bowl along with the paste, fish sauce, palm sugar and chiang mai curry and mix well. leave for 20 minutes or overnight. put the oil into a wok and fry the chicken and marinade for about 4-5 minutes until the paste is brown. then add the water and bring to the boil. add the peanuts, ginger and cook for 20 minutes until the sauce is thick.

Edited by chuchok

chile (hot peppers)...it is too much chile an' nam pla that puts me off a lot of thai food...makes stuff taste like a rotten dead fish vindaloo...but this recipie appeals in that it has neither...I don't like a lot of fat and gristle either but the pork belly is fer the flavorin' an' can be discarded after cookin'...looks like

anyway..as i know.. original version of Hunglay curry does not have peanut ..

but it's optional.. if you like it , put it :o

Never had Hanglay without peanuts Bambi.Not that I know bugger all about the original version though, it's just that all the food sellers here put peanuts in.

• 2 weeks later...

Most hang lees I have had are free from peanuts, but some do put them in - Dont mind them, I agree it can be a nice touch, but if you make a big batch they go soggy overnight in the fridge.

The stuff MIL makes is thicker than most, and has no peanuts - and is hands down the best I know. She either makes her own paste, or buys it at Kaat Luang if she is short of time - there is a shop there famous for making the best curry paste in town.

I just did this curry 3 weeks ago

I used Red curry paste paste 100g instead hunglay curry paste coz i had no time to do it

(anyway you can buy Hunglay curry paste "LOBO" from supermarket and do it follow direction )

My lazy recipe

1 Red curry paste 100g

2 Pork loin 500 g (cut in 1" cubes)

3 Pork Belly 250 g (you can cut it off if you worry about weight gain)(cut in 1" cubes)

4 Huglay Powder (my dad bought it from Mainmar border) ..you can use Yellow curry powder instead

5 sweet black soya sauce 1-2 Tb spoon

6tamarind juice ( u can buy instant one aswell -Tamarind Paste "TALAD THAI" in a jar)

7salt

8sliced ginger (~1/3-1/2 cup)

9 pickled garlic (or fresh garlic) (15 gloves+)

10 water (~1 1/2 cup)

Marinated 1+2+3+4+5 atleast 1 hrs

Stirred fried ingredient above

add water..boild it till pork is tender

add salt /tammarind juice/paste ... taste till you like it ( i also add abit of sugar.. i love sweet food) :o

This kind of curry is not watery soup ..but its pretty thickness

NOTE

HUNGLAY CURRY PASTE -LOBO

HUNGLAY.jpg

4.jpg

if we had the indicated packaged Lobo Hung lay curry paste what would haveta be added other than the meat? I was gonna use bacon rather than pork belly...I don't even know what a tamarind looks like...

There are 2 types of Tamarind, sweet for one for eating, sour one for cooking. The actual tree can be quite large with a very small leaf. Tmarind fruit looks exactly like runner beans but brown in colour when dry.

post-28690-1172060891_thumb.jpg

BTW where do u live if u don't know what Tamarind look like...thats my wife screaming in me earhole :o

There are 2 types of Tamarind, sweet for one for eating, sour one for cooking. The actual tree can be quite large with a very small leaf. Tmarind fruit looks exactly like runner beans but brown in colour when dry.

BTW where do u live if u don't know what Tamarind look like...thats my wife screaming in me earhole :o

tell de wife to chill...I know what de fruit is but didn't know de name...sum cop gave me sum to eat once when checking out my driving license at a check point on de road to BKK from Suphanburi... How do ye extract juice from dem little seeds?

My wife thinks ya takin da piss :D

check out my previous post...how does one bullshit about sumpin' like that??? (re: de cop widde fruit...)

ye gotta whup dat girl or there may be domestic problems later... 'tutsiwarrior is a kind man, and a sincere man, WHUP' 'tutsiwarrior may be an eccentric man but he is a believeable man, WHUP'...

I don't wanna interfere...you choose the method ob punishment... :o:D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

tell de wife to chill...I know what de fruit is but didn't know de name...sum cop gave me sum to eat once when checking out my driving license at a check point on de road to BKK from Suphanburi... How do ye extract juice from dem little seeds?

There may be more then one variaty of tamarind, this I do not know.But what I do know is that when a tamarind is "ripe" it is brown and the skin is breakable/crispy.The interior is brown and has a sweet/sour taste to it,depending on the ripeness of the fruit,more ripe more sweet.At this stage is when you would use it to make "juice".You do not use the seeds to make the "juice" only the pulp around the seeds.In our moo ban we eat them off of the tree when they are still green.You pick from the tree, wash, dip in a mix of chile powder and sugar and eat,whole the seeds are to imature at this point to be hard and you can eat the whole "pod".Very good!!!!Oh they are very sour at this point though. :D:D

Ok, The wife tells me that there are 2 types of tamarind.It is very hard to grow sweet and that is why you will not see it as much.Sweet will not be sour when it is green just taste "green".Sour will be sour when green and sweet when brown but not as sweet as sweet as sweet tamarind is when it is brown.wow that was different.

just got back from de Big Store widda packet of Lobo brand 'Hanglay curry paste' (see bambi's post)...on de recipie in de back there is no mention ob tamarind juice :D just pickled garlic an' ginger to taste...

it appears to me dat dis tamarind juice discussion is a vile conspiracy by various TV posters to corrupt thai cuisine an' to render it inedible to unsuspecting falangs (as if most ob it weren't inedible already...) :o

anyway, still got de beef on de go in de rice cooker (been on low now fer a day anna half, just gets better an' better...used Lobo's 'Oriental beef braising mix'...dey got good products) been dippin' inta it continously and as soon as it's finished gonna get de hanglay started...

de hanglay will probly turn out a treat but de family will still not wanna eat it...gonna use bacon insteada hog jowl fer de fat...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

just got back from de Big Store widda packet of Lobo brand 'Hanglay curry paste' (see bambi's post)...on de recipie in de back there is no mention ob tamarind juice

Yes,Its a bit strange.Anyway ,from the authentic recipe,you need to add some Tbs of tamarind juice

This is "makham peark" มะขามเปียก (i don't like its look) .Tamarind juice made from it

1118500319.jpg

yeah...looks like sumpin' dey got down de market. I guess that I could point an' make squeezing gestures an' say 'ao nam, ao nam...hanglay, hanglay' an' de market ladies would try to explain how to extract de juice to de dumb falang...shouldn't be too difficult... dey all think that tutsi is hilarious anyway stumbling around on his push bike after drinkin' vodka all night (does anyone axctually get up at 5am to go to de market???)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

was just down at de fabulous, new Tesco - Lotus that opened this week in Songphinong...dey got vodka, dey got Campbell's soup, dey got baked beans, but they ain't got no pickled garlic fer de hanglay :o .

Pickled garlic must be common as muck all over Thailand but in southern Suphanburi dey ain't got none. I demand an explanation...stuff dat dey got everywhere in Thailand dey ain't got in Suphan...dese local retailers must be punished!!!

(a jackbooted tutsiwarrior wid local brownshirted thugs descend on the management ob de new local tescos wid murderous violence in mind...)

I've noticed that a few restaurants in Chiang Mai serve hanglay with chicken or beef but it's not the norm. Most northerners use only pork, and to be authentic it should be muu saam chan -- 'three-level pork', a cut that includes meat, fat and hide. The best hanglay I've eaten is the kind cooked up for northern Thai and Shan festivals, weddings, etc, where it's stewed in huge vats for hours.

Hanglay curry paste is also sometimes used for the curry broth in khâo sawy. I got the following recipe from a Shan family in Mae Raem who are often called on to cook for local feasts. Note it contains all three aromatic roots from the ginger family, which makes it especially fragrant. This is the 'quick' version of their recipe, for a small family.

Also many northern Thai cooks add a redundant bag of Chiang Mai hanglay powder (esp Makheua Praw brand) to keep the colour consistent.

I've never seen peanuts in a hanglay curry, even in restaurants.

Hanglay Curry Paste

5-10 dried phrík chíi fáa

10 cloves garlic, peeled and roasted

5 shallots, peeled and roasted

1 teaspoon minced galangal

1 teaspoon minced ginger

1 teaspoon minced turmeric

1 teaspoon sliced lemongrass

1 teaspoon shrimp paste

1 teaspoon salt

Slice open the dried chillies, shake out and discard the seeds and soak the chillies in warm water until they are soft and flexible. Mash all the ingredients together with a mortar & pestle until a thick orange-brown paste is formed.

Pork Hanglay Curry (Kaeng Hanglay Muu)

1-½ tablespoons vegetable oil or pork lard

3 tablespoons hanglay curry paste

400g pork, cut into 4cm cubes

1 cup meat stock

In a wok or large skillet, fry the curry paste in the vegetable oil/lard on medium heat until well blended and fragrant.

Add the pork and stirfry for about five minutes.

Add the stock, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or longer, stirring frequently. If the curry becomes too thick, add more stock or if it’s too thin, cook longer.

Serve with sticky rice.

just about finished widme hanglay made usin' Lobo's 'hunglay' curry paste...left it in de rice cooker on 'cook' for about 2 hrs, de pork was succulent an' could be mashed widda spoon, very nice, now got it on low an gonna leave it there for a couple more hours...I threw in sum ginger an' fresh garlic as I couldn't find any pickled garlic...no tamarind juice...

I fished out the hog jowl/pork belly as I don't like to eat fat an' gristle then said now what to do?...don't wanna throw it out...IDEA!!!, take the fat next door to de mom - in - law's house, de thais love dat stuff. Found mama in front ob de tv an' passed de bowl under her nostrils wid loadsa sauce...her eyes got big an' she exclaimed 'hanglay!'

oh...'ye can't always get what ye want...but if ye try sumtimes, ye get what ye need...' :o