Reviews on Imac and WIN 10 machines

thainet

Hi everyone,

My old windows laptop is on its last legs and I'll be replacing soon. But due to the school courses my daughter will be taking this year she would prefer I get an 27in iMAC instead of a WIN 10 pc or laptop.

So for people who have had both types over the years could they give me their thoughts on their favourites and why.

Should help in my choice...thank you

(btw..I have never had a mac of any type).

I purchased a new 27" Mac in 2013, turned it on and suddenly realised I didn't know what the hell I was going to do next.  I really was stumped and I'm hardly technologically inept.

Calmed my head, decided to be patient and built up my knowledge of macOS.  Thereafter never looked back.  Never had a virus or malware to my knowledge, don't even have to scan for that kind of stuff.  Obviously wasn't cheap like any other Apple product but soon realised I had purchased a real piece of kit.  I can't describe every last nuance of owning a Mac but when you know, you know.  I also purchased an AirPort Time Capsule.  Backs up your computer every evening and provides the best possible WiFi coverage going.  

Unless you have some severe aversion to macOS then you'll never regret your purchase.  

Been a MAC user for more years I can remember..  Like @Unsane said, once you get the MAC basics you will never regret your decision.  A 27" screen is nice, but a college student may be better off with a MacAir.

Apple is due to release a new lower priced MacAir in June or July..

Mac, Windows, Linux - pretty well done them all.

Settled on Windows 10 due to a few programs I use are not Mac or Linux friendly. I have a 27'' iMac and a Rzyen Desktop system, iPad Pro and I use the Windows system the most.

Yes, I could dual boot, but I just want one system to do the lot now. So currently Windows 10.

My iMac has been repaired two times in three years. Failed hard drive, failed screen.

The previous Windows system I had for seven years before I had to replace anything, and I did that myself (hard drive). I then updated to the Rzyen, and it just kicks my iMac to the dust, but you cannot compare that, in reality, as it is a new kickass system and it was not cheap.

Usability is much the same in many ways. Mac is a little easier to use over time. Prefer out of all of them Ubuntu but like I said, a few things I really need to use are only in the Windows world and the alternatives in these programs are not up to scratch.

So sit down, work out what programs you really must have first and then take it from there. Either way, you cannot go wrong with any choice these days, but Mac does come at a higher price.

First Mac in 1986, currently MacBook Pro, iPad , iPhone and my iMac 21.5 retina.

Why Apple,  I don’t know, maybe the quality, style and ease of use, they are addictive. 

10 minutes ago, PJPom said:

First Mac in 1986, currently MacBook Pro, iPad , iPhone and my iMac 21.5 retina.

Why Apple,  I don’t know, maybe the quality, style and ease of use, they are addictive. 

Also running an iPad Pro 10.5", AirPlay speaker and mobile Bluetooth speaker, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6S as well as the previously described AirPort Time Capsule.  The wife loves the whole set up as well, which is nice. 

The icing on the cake is our LG OLED TV.  

I have had a 21" iMac and a 13" MaCair for about 5 years (had the same before) and love them.

But Apple are a nasty and greedy company - so be prepared to fork out as they'll grab as much (and more) from you as they can .

Have owned two iMacs since 2006, the latest one bought in 2013. Very happy with them. I run the Windows operating system via Bootcamp o the iMac so I can use Windows programs when I need (I prefer the Windows version of Microsoft Office products to the Mac version), but for the most part use the ios operating system.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 5/7/2018 at 9:07 PM, Unsane said:

I purchased a new 27" Mac in 2013, turned it on and suddenly realised I didn't know what the hell I was going to do next.  I really was stumped and I'm hardly technologically inept.

Calmed my head, decided to be patient and built up my knowledge of macOS.  Thereafter never looked back.  Never had a virus or malware to my knowledge, don't even have to scan for that kind of stuff.  Obviously wasn't cheap like any other Apple product but soon realised I had purchased a real piece of kit.  I can't describe every last nuance of owning a Mac but when you know, you know.  I also purchased an AirPort Time Capsule.  Backs up your computer every evening and provides the best possible WiFi coverage going.  

Unless you have some severe aversion to macOS then you'll never regret your purchase.  

Ditto, 'Fat Mac' (512 kb ;-) - 1983 -

Turned on to anything apple about 6 or 7 years ago . Fed up with my Windows system not working to my liking , I went to see a mate who had a Macbook and I was hooked. Now it is Iphone , Ipad , Macbook and 27" Imac . The Imac has basically been trouble free since day dot , I know it is getting on now and slower than the new stuff , but hey we all slow down as we get older. With the Imac 27" I still have the big screen , which I need as I am getting on in years and the eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Though I have to admit , I still run Microsoft office on it.

On 5/8/2018 at 11:57 PM, Altalake said:

I have had a 21" iMac and a 13" MaCair for about 5 years (had the same before) and love them.

But Apple are a nasty and greedy company - so be prepared to fork out as they'll grab as much (and more) from you as they can .

Evidence for nasty?

Archived