Is one who has working visa deemed resident?

chado

It depends upon how define resident.

You are a resident here if you are staying long term.

If you stay in the country for a total of 180 days in a calendar year you are considered a resident for tax purposes.

If you want to know about having residency here then only those with permanent residency certificates are residents.

Your "working visa" is probably actually an entry permit issued on the basis of you having entered Thailand on a NON-IMMIGRANT Class B visa.  It is a NON-IMMIGRANT entry permit, requiring you to report your residence address to Immigration every 90 days, and to maintain your departure card in your passport.  That is different from  being here in Permanent RESIDENCE status, in which case your entry permit is extended indefinitely, your departure card is taken, you are placed onto the tabiehn bahn where you reside, and you are no longer required to make 90-day reports to Immigration.     

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon how define resident.

You are a resident here if you are staying long term.

If you stay in the country for a total of 180 days in a calendar year you are considered a resident for tax purposes.

If you want to know about having residency here then only those with permanent residency certificates are residents.

What about those with work permit and yellow house books, and pink non-thai ID cards?

When I had these and applied for citizenship, the wording said I had had residency for x number of years. I never had "permanent residency".

Edited by Neeranam

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What about those with work permit and yellow house books, and pink non-thai ID cards?

When I had these and applied for citizenship, the wording said I had had residency for x number of years. I never had "permanent residency".

Depends on how you define resident

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

No it depends on what the law says.

Which law? Different laws have different definitions. As ubonjoe mentioned already, for tax purposes you are a resident if you stay more than 180 days in Thailand in a year. But according to for example the arrival card that we have to complete when we arrive in Thailand everybody who enters Thailand is a resident.

If you are looking at it from a UK tax standpoint, the Thai work permit will allow you to start the magic time when you become a non dom for tax purposes and therefore not liable to estate duty etc. This period is probably 7-10 years. Just make sure that you don't own anything directly there. If you do, regardless of whether you are a non dom they will tax you when you die. My father's estate was hit as he insisted in owning shares he had in UK companies in his own name. If they had been put in the name of a trust or company, no issue at all. No tax.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Which law? Different laws have different definitions. As ubonjoe mentioned already, for tax purposes you are a resident if you stay more than 180 days in Thailand in a year. But according to for example the arrival card that we have to complete when we arrive in Thailand everybody who enters Thailand is a resident.

Actually on that card, the Thai writing doesn't say this. Someone had translated it wrongly. The Thai is the legal one. The Thai just says it's for foreigners.

Edited by Neeranam

On 5/8/2018 at 1:33 PM, munchlet said:

If you are looking at it from a UK tax standpoint, the Thai work permit will allow you to start the magic time when you become a non dom for tax purposes and therefore not liable to estate duty etc. This period is probably 7-10 years.

It's 3 years and you don't have to have been working during that time.

On 5/8/2018 at 3:33 PM, munchlet said:

If you are looking at it from a UK tax standpoint, the Thai work permit will allow you to start the magic time when you become a non dom for tax purposes and therefore not liable to estate duty etc. This period is probably 7-10 years.

58 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's 3 years and you don't have to have been working during that time.

Yes the work permit/working is a bit of a red herring.

There is a useful overview here https://www.expertsforexpats.com/expat-tax/the-difference-between-domicile-and-residence/

However from everything I have read it can be extremely difficult for UK domiciled people (as munchlet intimated) to change their domicile. Unless you are very thorough in cutting all ties HMRC will want its pound of flesh..........