My plans are to relocate to Thailand next year and had a couple of questions that I would like help with.

I would apply for the O-A  visa in London, with future extensions based on retirement, although I am married to a Thai.

I presume I would have to attend London Embassy in person?

Does the original visa,

A) start from the day its issued

B) start the day you enter Thailand

If its "B" then do you have a certain amount of time to arrive in Thailand after they issue it before it becomes invalid,

the reason I ask is we have to sell our house etc , if the house sold quickly then I would probably have 6  weeks before we have to move out, but i wanted the visa done and dusted before we sell, I cant think of moving in with my parents at 55 or trying to get a short time rental.

but I also dont want to do all the visa stuff, then waiting 6 months trying to sell, then finding out it had strict time limits on entering Thailand.

I hope this doesnt sound confusing

The embassy in London will accept the application by post.

If you do it in person you can pick up your passport the next day after application. By post it is back to you within a week normally for the date you post it.

The one year validity of the OA visa starts from the date of issue. You can use it for entry up to date it expires. Best to apply for it as close as possible to departure since every day after it is issued is a lost day of the total stay you can get from the visa.

• Like 1

The OA will have an issue date, obviously ?. and an enter by date. 

You can enter at any time between those two dates and get a one year stay.

If you do another out of Thailand and back in before the enter/use by date you will get a further one year.

You do 90 day address reports while here to your local Imm' office.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Example

Issue date 1/1/2019

Enter/use by date 31/12/2019.

Enter  1/4/2019 permission to stay until 31/3/2019.

Report to Imm' every 90 days for address.

Leave to say Malaysia/Laos/Vietnam  28/12/2019 return to Thailand on 29/12/2019 permission to stay until 28/12/2020. Do 90 day reports to Imm'

If during the second year you need to leave Thailand and return you require a re-entry permit. Single  1000 baht

Multi entry 3800 baht.