'Gender Illumination' Lights Thai LGBT Diversity

'Gender Illumination' Lights Thai LGBT Diversity

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

1440908887-8602-o-696x445.jpg

A mural showing a gay couple inside Wat Phumin in Nan province.

BANGKOK — Lipstick, high heels, Barbie dolls, cabaret costumes and a letter approving a transgender man to wear pants to an exam are among the Thai LGBT artifacts to be show at a museum.

Gender Illumination goes beyond binary gender to question definitions of male and female by featuring photographs, drawings, paintings, talks and installations along the LGBT spectrum.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2018/05/09/gender-illumination-lights-thai-lgbt-diversity/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-5-9

I'm glad to see the Q one irritatingly sees in N American acronyms has taken a walk here.  I've always assumed that the Q stood for "queer".  If so, why add Q to LGBT when "queer" can be inferred from the letter G????

I await enlightenment...

44 minutes ago, blazes said:

I'm glad to see the Q one irritatingly sees in N American acronyms has taken a walk here.  I've always assumed that the Q stood for "queer".  If so, why add Q to LGBT when "queer" can be inferred from the letter G????

I await enlightenment...

I'm assuming that the community has taken a word (queer) which was used to describe it in a derogatory manner and has now claimed ownership of the word and uses it for the purpose of empowerment instead. Or not....

3 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Queer?

I like this accurate word.

It's nice to see it embraced by the "community"

I was born before politically correct speech and in my youth they were queers. 

When I was a lad, queer was slang for a homosexual man.  Today it is used as an umbrella term for anyone who does not identify as heterosexual.

4 hours ago, blazes said:

I await enlightenment...

Today, queer is a blanket term for anyone who is not heterosexual.

5 hours ago, blazes said:

I await enlightenment...

Because it can be very difficult for some people to decide on their sexuality they have invented "Q" for Questioning.

Questioning their sexuality.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived