Japanese tourist held at Don Mueang on weapons charges

snoop1130

Japanese weapons collector to face court on Friday

By Kornkamon Aksorndech 
The Nation

Neither the Japanese Embassy, nor the relatives of a 27-year-old gun collector arrested on Wednesday at Bangkok’s Don Mueang airport, had posted bail for the man’s release by Thursday afternoon.

Takeru Hirano was arrested after officers found a disarmed anti-personnel mine and 23 rifle magazines in his bag as he was about to board a flight back to Japan.

Police said they would bring Hirano to apply for a criminal court’s detention order on Friday and would not oppose his bail application, said Metropolitan Police Area 2 deputy chief Pol Colonel Khomsak Sumangkaset on Thursday.

The Japanese national was initially charged with possessing weapons without a required Thai registration permit, carrying dangerous weapons in an airport and importing weapons into the Kingdom without permission.

Khomsak said the man confessed that the items were his and said he had bought them thinking they were harmless souvenir pieces from Ho Chi Minh City to add into his collection.

He told police that he didn't know his action was against Thai law as he was allowed to bring them aboard a flight from Vietnam to Thailand on April 25.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30345050

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-10

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

They are not in fact weapons though are they ?

Some can be, as certain detachable magazines can be defined as a prohibited weapon based on capacity & type of round etc. The host nations authorities will have the final say on their law/s.

Example below of NSW Police guidelines.
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0011/209477/FACT_SHEET_Firearm_Magazines_October_2012.pdf

What magazines are restricted? Certain detachable magazines are defined as prohibited weapons by clause 4(4) to Schedule 1 of the Weapons Prohibition Act 1998. To be authorised to possess any of the following detachable firearm magazines, a person must first obtain a prohibited weapon permit. Schedule 1 Clause (4)(4) A detachable firearm magazine of any of the following kinds: (a) a rimfire rifle magazine with a capacity of more than 15 rounds, (b) a centre-fire self-loading rifle magazine with a capacity of more than 5 rounds, (c) a centre-fire rifle magazine (other than a self-loading rifle magazine) with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, (d) a shotgun magazine with a capacity of more than 5 rounds, (e) a tubular magazine extension that is capable of extending the capacity of any firearm, (f) a pistol magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, (g) any magazine designed to be attached to any machine gun, sub-machine gun or other firearm that is capable of propelling projectiles in rapid succession following one pressure of the trigger.

Edited by Garry

Just to clear up a few ignorant posts:

A deactivated personnel mine (see claymore) would at the minimum be stripped of its blasting cap and internal c4.  Leaving only the case and epoxied ball bearings.  When a poster said "it would be easy to re-arm it" that would be correct if you happened to have about a 700 gram stick of c4 in your pocket.

20 rifle magazines - whether brand new bought from a gun store or 50 years old missing their spring bought from Vietnam are equally dangerous.  They are equally dangerous to a pet rock - in that you could hit someone with it as a weapon.

As a former member of the US Military and having combat experience, I don't see any war weapons here.  But it's always nice to hear the delusional point of view of the "gun grabbers".

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Thank God they stopped this terrorist!

Practice dummy training claymore, antique rifle magazines, and who knows what else he was smuggling.

How did he get his hands on these in Vietnam?

(If your not in the military or police in Nam, you can get arrested for having a sharp stick and need a permit and a good reason to have a BB gun.)

I pray he didn't get his hands on a P38 or P51. These were carried by almost every Grunt and tore up more metal than anything else did when I did my tour of duty.

51rlElMJYdL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

An incredibly efficient little bugger it was too:smile:

6 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

HEY..

Memo to all you snowflake types.  (Nothing personal Goanna)

2018-05-10_11.17.54.jpg

The claymore on the table is not a "practice" model. Do take a look at the closeup photo.

Edited by Dap

8 hours ago, Millcx said:

55555 Would have loved to see your face if he was being searched just in front of you 5555555 

my face would have shown interest, and nothing else.  5555.   as a person who has handled and fired many guns, i know that an empty magazine requires ammunition AND a firearm to be dangerous.  

...never any clear lowdown....

...wow...

...they were okay in Vietnam....???

...so what has changed...???

...gotta think it's gonna cost him through the nose....

...in other news,,,

....go to the hospital with a cut or scratch....be accused of lying....be charged a small fortune....

....jeez...

On 10/05/2018 at 4:36 PM, ntg187 said:

Just to clear up a few ignorant posts:

A deactivated personnel mine (see claymore) would at the minimum be stripped of its blasting cap and internal c4.  Leaving only the case and epoxied ball bearings.  When a poster said "it would be easy to re-arm it" that would be correct if you happened to have about a 700 gram stick of c4 in your pocket.

20 rifle magazines - whether brand new bought from a gun store or 50 years old missing their spring bought from Vietnam are equally dangerous.  They are equally dangerous to a pet rock - in that you could hit someone with it as a weapon.

As a former member of the US Military and having combat experience, I don't see any war weapons here.  But it's always nice to hear the delusional point of view of the "gun grabbers".

Have a nice day.

Then they should be declared. Then either approved, or rejected. Sneaking stuff in will always raise eyebrows.

I was pulled aside and warned at Singapore Changi airport for having a novelty 50cal cartridge bottle opener, still in original packaging. They were waiting for me at baggage claim, so they had spotted it already. 

Cost me half hour at police desk, and written warning. I was lucky. Being a novelty item I thought ok.