Law For Non Lawyers University Course

Casanundra

Legal study for none lawyers  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been tasked in setting up an law degree / diploma course at a University here in Thailand, specifically aimed at international students who are non lawyers (i.e. with a first degree in another discipline) who want to study Law. The course will be taught in English.

The question is, if you was interested, what would you like to study:

• A Diploma - which will be to study five to six subjects at masters degree level
  • An M.A. in Economics Law - Which will be to study nine subjects and undertake a 30,000 word research paper and oral defence
  • An LL.M. in Business Law - which will be to study thirteen subjects and undertake a 14,000 word research paper and oral defence

The study mode for the diploma and MA degree would be set as part time evening study only

The LL.M. would be set as 1 year full time day study only

What I would like to know is; A. Would you first be be interested in studying law and B. what would your preferred level be, dipolma or Degree? The diploma would allow credit transfer to the MA / LL.M. degree if required. Entry requirements will likely be a first degree in any subject but this is to be confirmed.

You have the opportuntiy to help steer the course of study at a top university here in thailand and so your feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by Casanundra

I have been tasked in setting up an law degree / diploma course at a University here in Thailand, specifically aimed at international students who are non lawyers (i.e. with a first degree in another discipline) who want to study Law. The course will be taught in English.

The question is, if you was interested, what would you like to study:

• A Diploma - which will be to study five to six subjects at masters degree level
  • An M.A. in Economics Law - Which will be to study nine subjects and undertake a 30,000 word research paper and oral defence
  • An LL.M. in Business Law - which will be to study thirteen subjects and undertake a 14,000 word research paper and oral defence

The study mode for the diploma and MA degree would be set as part time evening study only

The LL.M. would be set as 1 year full time day study only

What I would like to know is; A. Would you first be be interested in studying law and B. what would your preferred level be, dipolma or Degree? The diploma would allow credit transfer to the MA / LL.M. degree if required. Entry requirements will likely be a first degree in any subject but this is to be confirmed.

You have the opportuntiy to help steer the course of study at a top university here in thailand and so your feedback would be appreciated.

but the law of which country ? what would be the point of foreigners learning about Thai

law which I understand has no legal precedent as we have in the UK, Australia and USA ?

the whole judicial process seems confusing in this country and even judgments seem to

be arrived at in a completely different way to what we're used to in the West ?

but the law of which country ? what would be the point of foreigners learning about Thai

law which I understand has no legal precedent as we have in the UK, Australia and USA ?

the whole judicial process seems confusing in this country and even judgments seem to

be arrived at in a completely different way to what we're used to in the West ?

Predominantly International law covering such things as Taxation law (double taxation agreements of Thailand), Securities regulations, Economic Law, Alernative Dispute Resolution and so forth as well as a bit of Thai law thrown in for those of us living here to get our heads around it and understand its nuances.

For info, the course subject content would be a choice from the following list with possibly a few more added into the mix:

Business and Social Issues in a Legal Context,

Alternative Dispute Resolution,

Comparative Business Reorganization in a Legal Context,

Comparative Commercial Law,

Comparative Competition Law,

Environmental Law and Business,

Information Technology Law,

International Business Transactions in a Legal Context,

International Contract Law,

International Economic Laws and Institutions,

Advanced International Intellectual Property,

International Tax Law inc Double Taxation Agreements of Thailand,

Law Relating to Business Organization and Management,

Regional and Bilateral Trade Laws,

Securities Regulation,

Banking and Financial Institution Law,

Comparative Investment Law,

Japanese Business Law,

Law and Accounting,

Maritime and Shipping Law,

Mekong Region Economic Law,

Regional Organization Law,

The EU Economic Law and Administration,

Trade and Investment Law in PR China.

as well as a bit of Thai law thrown in for those of us living here to get our heads around it and understand its nuances.

A farang friend of mine appeared as an expert witness here in Bangkok and from his

description of events and the judicial process I wonder if the Thai judges themselves

can get their heads around it ?:o

as well as a bit of Thai law thrown in for those of us living here to get our heads around it and understand its nuances.

A farang friend of mine appeared as an expert witness here in Bangkok and from his

description of events and the judicial process I wonder if the Thai judges themselves

can get their heads around it ?:o

Put me down for an LLB; LLM wouldn't be given in most countries without the LLB before it surely? If so...then LLM.

I'd be interested in after work; similar to an MBA, only about law, not remotely interested in law outside of commercial and some civil liberties type stuff, and i think you'll find most business people in the same boat. So I think your curriculum looks pretty sharp.

Seriously...just finished my MBA and would not mind an LLM on the CV. Plus it would make me even more stubborn and argumentative than I already am. Except now i would have the law on my side.

Reverting to Thai mode.... smart lecturer him say law is an arse. Why him say that? Me think him same same gay, law not have arse, just have big milk.

Can you give an example of the economics of law degree? Are we talking stuff competition law, anti-trust, stuff like that?

Also, out of interest, is there going to be a Thai language version of law and economics (as I understand it)? If so, there would be a couple of people I know who may be interested in to, for that and other related work at various points in time, especially workshops for government officials.

• 1 month later...
Hi Casanundra

I am half way through a LLB degree in Australia and would be interested in further study in Thailand. Masters degree sounds good, interested in taxation, business and banking etc.

Bankei

The International LL.M. (taught in English) that we run would be better for you as it is designed for those with a LL.B. and covers the subjects you would like to study