Bangkok lane-change crackdown nets 50,000 offenders in two days

webfact

15 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I think it is not so difficult.

As I remember they have already done when you'll have to pay your yearly cartax.

First pay the ticket, after you'll get the new sticker.

And what happens if cartax is not paid?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So rich people should be able to drive however they like, while the poor suffer..

You would rather see it being like finland where it's a percentage of income?

Either way, the percentage needs to be significant. People need to fear getting a ticket. Otherwise it's not effective repellent.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RickFarang said:

What, exactly is illegal about changing lanes to pass another vehicle? Or am I missing something too obvious to recognize?

Obviously you need to go and do a drivers licence reassessment again as you seem to have forgotten what the law is pertaining to continuous white lines (do not cross)

7 hours ago, grkt said:

Are you sure that it's not only when we sell the car ? They check fines also when we renew the tax sticker ? Never heard before.

Ask them next time you are there.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

So rich people should be able to drive however they like, while the poor suffer..

Well, that applies to about everything doesn't it?  "So rich people should be able to... (fill in the blank)..., while the poor suffer.."    Nobody said life was fair.  If you're poor and the fines are high, obey the rules.  For the first half of my career I lived paycheck to paycheck, barely scraping by.  Speeding ticket fines where I lived were high--if I got even one it would greatly impact my weekly budget.  So, I didn't speed.

Well, that applies to about everything doesn't it?  "So rich people should be able to... (fill in the blank)..., while the poor suffer.."    Nobody said life was fair.  If you're poor and the fines are high, obey the rules.  For the first half of my career I lived paycheck to paycheck, barely scraping by.  Speeding ticket fines where I lived were high--if I got even one it would greatly impact my weekly budget.  So, I didn't speed.

Actually, I think the fines & penalties should be low, but rigorously enforces and cumulative.

5 speeding tickets in 5 years, you get your license pulled.

2 hours ago, a977 said:

Should have read the original story a few days ago, your insurance will be invalid and you will be unable to register your vehicle until said fine is paid. I believe you can go to bank and pay fine supposed to be within 7 days

Ok, sounds good. There's hope. Now let's hope they expand the camera system nation wide and include speeding too.

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

50,000 offenders in a single day at just 15 locations. So multiply that by the rest of the country, and surprise, surprise, there are millions of them at it, all with little or no regard for any of the other traffic laws either.

Isn't that called SELFISH ?
Very common here. Isn't it ?

22 hours ago, johng said:

you don't see the difference between a car blocking an extra lane by trying to push into a queue and a motorbike skirting to the front of the queue causing no congestion in the process ?

Yes. A car driver is risking some bent side metal whereas a motorbike operator risks bodily injury while squeezing in. A motorbike does not take up zero lane space either. Both risk causing an accident. Then there are the lane-changing buses...

Edited by MaxYakov

8 hours ago, bandito said:

Not paying offenders will be forced to pay at their annual car and motorcycle registration.

Always been like that.

Any proof ? I was told that they have to pay only when selling car.

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

Actually, I think the fines & penalties should be low, but rigorously enforces and cumulative.

5 speeding tickets in 5 years, you get your license pulled.

I like the rigorously enforced and cumulative, and losing your license after a certain number of traffic violations.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, newnative said:

I like the rigorously enforced and cumulative, and losing your license after a certain number of traffic violations.

Why not going back to your nanny state ?

I am here also because I do not fear cops and fines. I do not want this to change and I am sure that it won't change quickly.

I am here also because I do not fear cops and fines. I do not want this to change and I am sure that it won't change quickly.

Well if continue making bank on the cameras it’s going to change.

1 hour ago, grkt said:

I think Thai ppl don't want a nanny state. But they also don't want to be the most dangerous country in the world in terms of road safety.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:51 AM, darksidedog said:

50,000 offenders in a single day at just 15 locations. So multiply that by the rest of the country, and surprise, surprise, there are millions of them at it, all with little or no regard for any of the other traffic laws either.

In the first two days

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, grkt said:

Any proof ? I was told that they have to pay only when selling car.

My personal experience.

Mind you this was about 40 yrs ago.

Was a parking citation when parking before the Australian Embassy (then on Silom Rd) which was prohibited.

Found a ticket under my wipers wich I threw away.

Had to first pay the fine (that time Bht 100-) before I got the window sticker. :WPFflags:

On 12-5-2018 at 8:11 AM, hobz said:

And what happens if cartax is not paid?

Yeh, that's the problem.

In some countrys in Europe they can sale your house, if you don't pay the ticket, but that's a bit different.

Maybe sooner or later  here too?

• Haha 1

Just now, Peterphuket said:

Yeh, that's the problem.

In some countrys in Europe they can sale your house, if you don't pay the ticket, but that's a bit different.

Maybe sooner or later  here too?

And believe me, it happens last week with somebody who was killing the sister from my partner with his "big" Toyota, by an accident.

No insurance, no compulsory, no money????. we have to wait if mister like to pay.

Terrible!!

• Sad 1

On 5/11/2018 at 11:39 AM, mok199 said:

kah ching  kah ching...jing jing

Let's hope motorists learn what the law is, or they'll soon be broke if they keep doing this.

I can see why Indonesian motorbikes all have number plates front and rear.  Makes 'em easy to photograph and fine!

On 12/05/2018 at 12:15 PM, wgdanson said:

See my previous post. That is one ticket every 26 seconds for 12.5 hours at each of the 15 cameras. Impossible. 

Don't be so sure!

The technology used is based on ANPR and reading This from the UK and it's old information: 

Figures from the end of 2015 suggest around 50 million number plates are being recorded – that’s 350 each second of the day. That figure was three times higher than the figure three years ago, so it’s likely to be much higher today.

In 2009 there were a total of 3.7billion ANPR records created, but this had jumped to 11billion in 2014/15.

It's reasonable to assume that the "powers that be" will be using the latest technology so will be flashing more.

Edited by VBF

how does a driver know which is a legal lane and which is an illegal one??
One DOES need to pass a vehicle if the one in front is going too slow, causing an obstruction etc .....

The legal lane is the one with the long line of slow moving cars with ordinary drivers.

The illegal lane is the lane you are in. This lane is full of important people that slow everyone down by trying to get in front of the ordinary drivers.