Europe moves to safeguard interests in Iran after U.S. pullout

rooster59

9 hours ago, bristolboy said:

I don't think there were too many German Jewish scientists who emigrated directly from Germany, or, for that matter, from Europe to Israel. Those who got out in time mostly went to the USA. I don't recall any historical data about them being persecuted there.

If you mean USA with 'there' you're correct, but that means you didn't understand my post or the post I reacted to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bristolboy said:

If the current status of presidiential power accorded with your views, there would never have been any felt need to pass the War Powers Act. The history of the past 50 years argues against you.

If you're saying that Congress has failed to do their job for 50 years, I'd agree with you.

13 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Just one tiny, tiny problem with your observation: Iran had deals with both Boeing and Airbus.

Boeing may lose $20 billion in aircraft deals as Trump to pull US out of Iran nuclear pact

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/08/iran-deal-fallout-boeing-may-lose-20-billion-in-aircraft-deals.html

So I see from your link - thank you.

I should imagine that if Boeing are taking a hit, they will lobby hard and the administration will do their damnedest to make sure Airbus take one as well.

I also read that Airbus aircraft have parts made in the USA, which will of course be subject to sanctions. I wonder if those parts could be sourced elsewhere?

12 hours ago, oilinki said:

Military is an essential part of USA society. For European countries the military is simply an necessity. We would be much better off, if we wound't have to spend money to military, but we also understand the facts and do it, because we have to.

The less tension there is between different tribes of humans, the less we have to waste our money to protect ourselves. Peace means prosperity. 

12 hours ago, Morch said:

And, of course, many a European nations are able to invest less in it's armed forces, knowing that the US is there to back them up.

As @bristolboy said in another context:

Nice evasion.

That the European nations know they are „backed up“ by the US maybe partly true. But the main difference between the US and Europe is: Europe has learnt from the past. That means avoiding wars, reducing the military budgets as much as possible. Beside the fact that die US has the absolutely #1 highest military budget

5af7cd1112656_USAmilitarybudget2017.PNG.9a5bbdaa47261adebd047706260fa81c.PNG

hey want to be the globel power #1 – for wathever reason. Blinded by this pride they started very expansiv wars

• Korean War - 320 billion $

• Vietnam War - 686 billion $

• Irak War

+ Afghanistan - 2,000 – 3,000 billion $ (estimated by J.Stieglitz and L.Bilmer)

Having deliberately provoked at least 2 wars by the USA, Mr. Morch, that is one reason that „many a European nations are able to invest less in its armed forces“.

It seems the US – LOTUS (Liar Of The United States) - deliberately want to provoke another expensive war.

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:

So I see from your link - thank you.

I should imagine that if Boeing are taking a hit, they will lobby hard and the administration will do their damnedest to make sure Airbus take one as well.

I also read that Airbus aircraft have parts made in the USA, which will of course be subject to sanctions. I wonder if those parts could be sourced elsewhere?

I think you will find the EU and other countries will source parts elsewhere. You can't have one country dictating to the world. For example; China is also doing just that.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Yes, that is the case. Which is giving the Europeans a big incentive to pass laws to stymy just that.

Edited by bristolboy

@puck2

And when all is said and done, the US still makes an ongoing significant, if not critical, contribution to the defense or European countries, and accordingly, their lowered military spending. If these countries had to fend for themselves, things would have been different. As for learning from history etc., Europe had far more to learn from. The US is a relative newcomer in comparison.

11 minutes ago, the guest said:

I think you will find the EU and other countries will source parts elsewhere. You can't have one country dictating to the world. For example; China is also doing just that.

I think you will find the sourcing parts "elsewhere" isn't nearly as straightforward as it may seem.