Consumer networks threaten to sue over high cost of medical services

rooster59

Consumer networks threaten to sue over high cost of medical services

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION

d84d5a0ec856ead5e3464875b09f5afa-sld.jpeg

CONSUMER protection networks have threatened to sue the Commerce Ministry in the Administrative Court for not controlling the price of medical services.

The activists from various customer protection groups yesterday submitted the petition to Commerce Minister Sontirat Sontijirawong, who chairs the Central Committee on Prices of goods and services, seeking price controls on medical treatments to deal with overcharging in some private hospitals.

According to the petition, the customer protection groups asked the Central Committee on the Price of Goods and Services to include medical treatment as a controlled service to cap the price of medicine, medical equipment and medical services in every hospital and improve the system to submit complaints about overpriced medical services.

Even though the representative of the Commerce Ministry agreed to forward the petition to related agencies, Supatra Nacapew, the head of Independent Consumer Protection Subcommittee on Food, Drugs, and Other Health Products, said the activists were disappointed by the ministry’s reaction, as it tried to pass on the responsibility to the Public Health Ministry.

“This is the third time that we submitted the petition with the same request – control the price of medical treatment – to the Commerce Ministry, but there is still no progress, even though they are the direct agency with the duty to control the price of goods and services,” Supatra said.

“We insist that medical expense needs to be controlled, because we have received many cases of overpriced medical expenses in private hospitals, which cause severe financial trouble to the patients and their families.”

She warned that if the Commerce Ministry continued to ignore the activists’ demand for 15 days, they would file a complaint against the ministry at the Administrative Court and Ombudsman’s Office for failure to perform its duty.

She revealed that the lack of medical price controls allowed some private hospitals to change the price for medical treatment at their whim and in some cases the price of medicine was more than 400 times the original price, leaving many patients with huge debts.

The deputy permanent secretary at the Commerce Ministry, Wichai Phochanakit, said the ministry had not ignored the problem of overpricing for medical treatment. He said the ministry was currently working with the Public Health Ministry to find measures to control the cost of medical services.

Wichai insisted that the duty to oversee the price of medical treatment lies with the Public Health Ministry, but he promised that the Commerce Ministry would help the Public Health Ministry on related tasks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30345199

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-12
  • Like 1

I remember going to that expensive hospital in the Nana area. I had a problem with my sinus and after three weeks I dececided I had to get some medicine to get rid of it. The whole thing was expensive. I have insurance so it’s covered, but it was still way too expensive. I felt the doctor was too quick to get me in and out, and he didn’t answer my questions properly or offer me any reassurances or advice for how to avoid this kind of infection in the future. He was quick to have me signed up for another appointment the following week for a check-up. 

Expensive I can take. What I can’t take is the feeling of being just another customer. That might well be true, but in healthcare, doctors still have to do the best by their patients. 

43 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

People will read this and suggest that its the customers choice as to where they get treatment. I just wanted to point out that after being badly injured in a m'bike accident the "emergency crew" who picked me up off the road ignored my choice of where I wanted to be taken and took me to the hospital of their choice. Why? The common answer was money. Sick people are not always lucid or even conscious leaving them at the whim of others who by the time they come around could have huge bills from a hospital they never asked to be in. 

Of course they would take you to a Private hospital but if you have no money or insurance then as soon as you had woken up and told them, the hospital would arrange for transfer to a Government hospital.

As for regulating costs in private hospitals what utter nonsense - they are businesses, profit centers, wake up people

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoePai said:

as soon as you had woken up and told them,

Which in my sons accident case was 5 days in ICU.  Quite a bill if they can charge whatever they want. Plus its not an easy decision to disconnect a person from all that machinery and move them because of the 'money factor'.

Edited by Lungstib
addition
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

That does not justify huge markups of medications by specific hospitals - profit is one thing - gouging is quite another.

According to the New York Times, governments all over the world may be facing pressure to raise drug prices.

WASHINGTON — President Trump vowed on Friday to “derail the gravy train for special interests” as he outlined what he called a comprehensive strategy to lower the cost of prescription drugs by promoting competition and pressing foreign countries to raise their drug prices to alleviate pressure on American consumers.

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha controls everything known to man, woman and beast in Thailand, excepting it seems, health care for the poor. Plenty of taxpayer money available to be thrown about buying popularity and potential votes in the marginal provinces but no extra money to cover the rising cost of health care. Shame!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“We insist that medical expense needs to be controlled, because we have received many cases of overpriced medical expenses in private hospitals, which cause severe financial trouble to the patients and their families.”

Private hospitals are run the same as private schools; they are businesses, and nobody gives a toss about the paying customers as long as the money's going into the bank!  In Thailand, more than anywhere else in the world, it's just another extortion racket!

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

CONSUMER protection networks have threatened to sue the Commerce Ministry in the Administrative Court for not controlling the price of medical services.

Go on then!  Go for it!

I'll not hold my breath on that one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Which in my sons accident case was 5 days in ICU.  Quite a bill if they can charge whatever they want. Plus its not an easy decision to disconnect a person from all that machinery and move them because of the 'money factor'.

I think treatment is free for emergencies up until the patient can be safely moved to a government hospital. By law that is (since 1 or 2 years, maybe longer).

And i am sure it must be a difficult decision. Life is full of difficult decisions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoePai said:

Of course they would take you to a Private hospital but if you have no money or insurance then as soon as you had woken up and told them, the hospital would arrange for transfer to a Government hospital.

As for regulating costs in private hospitals what utter nonsense - they are businesses, profit centers, wake up people

I know, the airlines should charge you $50 for your flight, then tack on $25,000 each to land. It's just business, folks.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mac98 said:

I know, the airlines should charge you $50 for your flight, then tack on $25,000 each to land. It's just business, folks.

As they say, takeoff optional, landing mandatory. 

13 hours ago, Mac98 said:

That must be to Auss

Compare flight hrs (7 hrs to Perth ) & check all other countries are cheaper

Very amusing after these hospitals ongoing arr ripping of the foreigners now they begin with the overcharging  locals...

These folks now are protesting but why they never were protesting  about the foreigners getting heavily overcharged and double priced since decades?

Always say you don't have insurance and will pay. (as most insurances require one to pay up first for reasonable amounts and then file a refund)

This would keep the price a bit under control.

And never forget, as a farang in Thailand, no matter how much bootlicking you go through in your village, city or anywhere else....your main use in the area is that of a general use human ATM machine... (to calm down the ranters 'n'  trolls, ok they are not all as such, but many are unfortunately!)

Edited by observer90210

31 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I always hate it when they ask you if you are going to use insurance or not before you see a doctor, just makes it sound like a scam they are trying to pull.

There can be a legit reason, other than charge, for asking that.  If insurance is being used they will have to provide a detailed receipt when they normally do not and a medical certificate may be required to provide diagnostic information which the doctor has to provide.  

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

There can be a legit reason, other than charge, for asking that.  If insurance is being used they will have to provide a detailed receipt when they normally do not and a medical certificate may be required to provide diagnostic information which the doctor has to provide.  

Yes fair enough

But I also got a detailed receipt vvhen I paid cash, for an out patient biopsy for vvife

You vvould be surprised as to some of the things they charged for 

This vvas a BK Hospital

Give oxygen - it's a biopsy for god sake - asked vvife if put mask on face, no do

Recuperation room - that equaled to sitting dovvn vvhy they vvrote the bill out 

& a fevv others 

Oh had ultra sound & Xray, then they took the biopsy. The amazing thing vvas they had to do another Xray vven one vvas just done 45 minutes prior

They then said it vvas TB - Full of rubbish, my vvifes still alive vvithout any problems yrs after 

On ‎13‎/‎5‎/‎2561 at 8:14 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Very amusing after these hospitals ongoing arr ripping of the foreigners now they begin with the overcharging  locals...

These folks now are protesting but why they never were protesting  about the foreigners getting heavily overcharged and double priced since decades?

8th Richest Thai - Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth; $3.5 billion. Forbes Asia’s list.

founder and owner of Bangkok Dusit Medical Services, Thailand's largest private health care group,
interests in Bumrungrad, Bangkok Hospital, the BNH Hospital, the four Phyathai Hospitals, the three Paolo Memorial Hospitals and the Royal Bangkok Hospital.

Profitable business.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:34 PM, lopburi3 said:

I agree, but thing is that they ask the same thing when I'm paying - will you be using insurance. Perhaps they want to key it in the system so cashier will know beforehand too.

Medical certificate can always be issued by the doctor too, but again perhaps they want to let every know before hand as well.

8 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I agree, but thing is that they ask the same thing when I'm paying - will you be using insurance. Perhaps they want to key it in the system so cashier will know beforehand too.

Medical certificate can always be issued by the doctor too, but again perhaps they want to let every know before hand as well.

Many times we pay first and make claim to insurance later so need the additional paperwork.  Know Vejthani and Bangkok Hospitals have always had on there computer to provide for me as I am such a patient (although they sometimes ask to confirm still required).