So much to eat at the Pattaya Seafood Festival

rooster59

So much to eat at the Pattaya Seafood Festival

By Dan Cheeseman

pattaya-seafood.jpg

The annual Pattaya seafood festival left me pleasantly full and certainly also filled a couple of hours the week just gone. One thing Thailand consistently gets right is food, so I had to head down to this event; and I made sure I did so on an empty stomach.

Located on Pattaya beach road, nearer the Hard Rock cafe than the usual Central Festival location, I can only guess because of Naklua being nearer this point and more known for its seafood than Pattaya itself.

Source: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/05/07/so-much-to-eat-at-the-pattaya-seafood-festival/

DAN ABOUT THAILAND

Weekly Vlogs and Blogs from in and around Thailand

14 minutes ago, lanista said:

I love Thai food but i draw the line at seafood anywhere in Asia.  Never go near it. I was in the seafood business for 7 years .

The Japs get all their quality seafood from Tskuiji market Tokyo. Most of it comes in by carrymen on JAL & ANA flights. I know because i used to do it myself from OZ in the late 90's.

Heavens knows where that guy wih the beard got all those crabs and mussles.  :post-4641-1156693976:

After getting a serious case of bubbleguts a couple years ago I shy away from a lot of seafood in the Thailand. Oh yeah, Tokyo relies on Tsukiji market while the rest of Japan relies on the markets that are closest to them. The only time people from all over Japan go bonkers for Tsukiji is during the annual "first" tuna auction at the beginning of the year.  

We were in Pattaya for a week recently and walked past these stalls during the day when no one was there and at night when they were up and running, fortunately for us we are choosy eaters, and will find places that we feel are clean and good to eat, street food included occasionally.

We noticed some rats in and around the stalls, well yep that was enough for us to say, we will return to Kiss Food in Naklua tonight, and did so for just about every night we were there, I hope I am not breaking any rules mentioning the name of the place, but all 6 of us (4) kids ate till our hearts were content and the place is super clean with an open kitchen so you can see the chefs, and preparation happening, there might be less choice in seafood compared to those beach side market stalls, but I am pretty sure there was no trace of rat urine in the food we ate or counters.

I did cop it at a beach restaurant just out of Rayong, the 1st place on Sunday was great, little family run place, no brown folder with change in it, telling you to leave them a tip, change straight back in your hand as if to say, we don't expect a tip, but we left them the usual 30 baht on the table as the food was good, we returned on Tuesday but it was closed so we tried one a little further back, as much as I didn't want to eat there, it was served on the beach and I didn't want to be a party pooper, well that's all I was doing the next day, suffice to say, unless on holidays, I rarely eat out, or will only eat where my Mrs gives her approval, and she is 9 out of 10 times right.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

Pattaya & Seafood: Two words that should never meet. Sounds about as natural as Donald and Hilary Trump.

Even if I could eat seafood, assuming locally caught, I'd rather eat deep fried plutonium served with crispy cockroach.

Many years ago (decades) it was good but then Moom Aroy started letting the coach trips in for in/out feeding frenzies and Bang Saray ..poor poor Bang Saray what have they done to you......This song just about explains my feelings...

Don't it always seem to go 
That you don't know what you've got til its gone 
They paved paradise 
And put up a parking lot

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lanista said:

I love Thai food but i draw the line at seafood anywhere in Asia.  Never go near it. I was in the seafood business for 7 years .

The Japs get all their quality seafood from Tskuiji market Tokyo. Most of it comes in by carrymen on JAL & ANA flights. I know because i used to do it myself from OZ in the late 90's.

Heavens knows where that guy wih the beard got all those crabs and mussles.  :post-4641-1156693976:

Probably Soi 6. 

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Located on Pattaya beach road, nearer the Hard Rock cafe than the usual Central Festival location, I can only guess because of Naklua being nearer this point and more known for its seafood than Pattaya itself.

What is he on about here, what is it 2-300 m closer to Naklua. I just don't see the relevance other than a plug for the Hard Rock. Must have been fun for people thinking they could get to it via Klang. 

I am afraid I too worry about food sitting out a long time, and the difficulty of getting to and from the area while many roads are being closed off.  Nor am not a fan of being squashed in a standing crowd in heat and humidity while trying to eat  off a stick, Were there seating areas where one could enjoy the food, like Angsila in Chonburi City?

Didn't look as busy as I would expect on the vlog.

Edited by jacko45k

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What is he on about here, what is it 2-300 m closer to Naklua. I just don't see the relevance other than a plug for the Hard Rock. Must have been fun for people thinking they could get to it via Klang. 

I am afraid I too worry about food sitting out a long time, and the difficulty of getting to and from the area while many roads are being closed off.  Nor am not a fan of being squashed in a standing crowd in heat and humidity while trying to eat  off a stick, Were there seating areas where one could enjoy the food, like Angsila in Chonburi City?

Didn't look as busy as I would expect on the vlog.

There was seating on the beach thai style. It was rammed in the evenings. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

There was seating on the beach thai style. It was rammed in the evenings. 

Haha, I suspect the rat population enjoyed it, and washed up plastic bags must be everywhere. 

Scheduled with due consideration of the tides....

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

The festival was great quite enjoyed it.

I am sure thousands of others did too !! ... Which is unfortunately not reflected in the one minute "off the cuff" vlog..

Note to the MD ..Get off the mike ...you and that Scottish bloke are an amateurish embarrassment. Maybe even worse than that Welsh midget and her infomercials..