May 12, 20188 yr I will fly to the USA next week and I am told that with rentalcar.com I cannot show my Thai drivers license because it contains letters from the Thai alphabet. They require an international drivers license. I have a valid Florida Drivers License but the rental company said that the promotion price which includes a free tank of gasoline can only be provided to a Thai resident. So how does an American (Thai resident) go about getting an International Drivers License in Phuket or by mail order at the cheapest possible price for more than one year at a time?[emoji15] Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
May 12, 20188 yr 13 minutes ago, thaisail said: I am told that with rentalcar.com I cannot show my Thai drivers license because it contains letters from the Thai alphabet Not quite sure why? It has Thai on the front at the top, and English lower down including issue date, expiry date, birth date and ID number. On the back it has your address only in Thai, is that required by the US authorities perhaps?
May 12, 20188 yr Author Not quite sure why? It has Thai on the front at the top, and English lower down including issue date, expiry date, birth date and ID number. On the back it has your address only in Thai, is that required by the US authorities perhaps? I think the issue is that if they have Thai lettering, the police cannot read it and it might read something like "must have corrective lenses". English has been recognized as the official international language so they want everything written in English!Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
May 13, 20188 yr So I understand you are looking for an International Thai Driving License from Phuket?If I am correct, as long as you have a 5 years Thai Driving license, it is no issue to get an International Thai Driving License.I have one. Just go to the Driving License Office in Phuket town. If I remember correctly, they only ask for your 5 years Thai Driving License, the usual certificate of residence from the immigration and a copy of your passport. It takes one day to get it. I applied at lunch time and got it the next day morning.Hope it help.Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
May 13, 20188 yr Author 29 minutes ago, jphasia said: So I understand you are looking for an International Thai Driving License from Phuket? If I am correct, as long as you have a 5 years Thai Driving license, it is no issue to get an International Thai Driving License. I have one. Just go to the Driving License Office in Phuket town. If I remember correctly, they only ask for your 5 years Thai Driving License, the usual certificate of residence from the immigration and a copy of your passport. It takes one day to get it. I applied at lunch time and got it the next day morning. Hope it help. Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Do you know the price for the residence paper from immigration and the price for the international drivers license and how long it is valid for?
May 13, 20188 yr Do you know the price for the residence paper from immigration and the price for the international drivers license and how long it is valid for?The international driving license is valid for one year only.I can't remember the price as it was not significant (few hundreds baht only).The residence certificate paper is free of charge. It is based on your notified address in Thailand to the immigration. If you never done it before:You go to the immigration (i am going to Phuket town). Ask them for a certificate of residence for driving license purpose. They will check if you have notified your address in Thailand (which you must have done once you arrive in Thailand). If you have already notified you address, just a form to fill and wait few minutes (depend how busy they are) and that's it.That's the way i proceed.Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
May 13, 20188 yr 1 hour ago, jphasia said: I can't remember the price as it was not significant (few hundreds baht only). 505 Baht. https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/
Create an account or sign in to comment