Thai Navy silent on preventing Rohingya relief ship arriving in Phuket

rooster59

Thai Navy silent on preventing Rohingya relief ship arriving in Phuket 

The Phuket News

1526120270_1-org.jpg

A crewman on the M/Y Phoenix keeps watch for Rohingya refugees afloat on the Andaman Sea. Photo: Courtesy of MOAS

PHUKET: The Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command has yet to respond to queries as to why a Rohingya relief ship operated by an internationally recognised aid agency was informed that arriving in Phuket would “problematic” to the extent that the aid workers would not be able to perform their duties.

The issue came to the fore when the relief ship M/Y Phoenix, operated by the MOAS (Migrant Offshore Aid Station) project, posted its update report on its activities west off Phuket last Friday (May 4).

MOAS, founded in 2013 in response to the wave of Africa-to-Europe migrants risking their lives and dying at sea in Mediterranean, was heavily involved in the migrant crisis in the Aegean Sea from December 2015 to March 2016 that made international headlines.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-navy-silent-on-preventing-rohingya-relief-ship-arriving-in-phuket-67098.php#r6uVeG2xpycrde8C.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-05-13
  • Like 1

"Given that we were in contiguous waters, where commercial vessels are entitled to anchor freely under international maritime law, this communication was highly irregular."

Highly inappropriate .....  The Thai military has no respect for the laws outside of its country as well ?   It seems the junta wants to bully these poor people as well. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:
"Given that we were in contiguous waters, where commercial vessels are entitled to anchor freely under international maritime law, this communication was highly irregular."

Highly inappropriate .....  The Thai military has no respect for the laws outside of its country as well ?   It seems the junta wants to bully these poor people as well. 

Sure why not...good guys in, bad guys out.  That includes the sea.

44 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Sure why not...good guys in, bad guys out.  That includes the sea.

Really ? Not  Poor guys out,  rich guys in ?  Or we bully until somebody bigger bullies us.   Not a lot to proud of in today's Thai military. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

If somebody wants to risk their life at sea.

OK, it's their life.

If this MOAS tows them back to where they started from, I'm good with that.

If they want to tow them to their dream country, I am not with them.

What I find interesting about these sorts of "rescues" is that the dogooder who cries about people drowning in boats doesn't like it if you suggest they be returned to their point of origin. They make out they only care about them being safe and not drowning, but then they aren't happy with them being safely returned to their home country.

Makes me think the dogooders are basically trying to put in place a rule where as long as the "refugees" can make it to a boat and get out in their he sea, they should be allowed into their he heir destination country.

I'm sure in this case they were claiming it was all about safety, when really they are simply transporting them to their destination.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm sure in this case they were claiming it was all about safety, when really they are simply transporting them to their destination.

Few countries want the downtrodden from other countries.  These people were kicked out of Burma and now living in camps in Bangladesh.  Their future destination is uncertain.  The focus should not be on these people threatened by violence but on the Burmese government that caused this problems.  Burma should be heavily sanctioned for causing this mess, and the Thai navy should not impose government whims on vessels in international waters outside of maritime law.   We can all guess that the GPS on the Thai boat was possibly broken.   Just a big misunderstanding as always. 

This is nothing new:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

"Historians have estimated that approximately a quarter of them died in death camps during World War II." 

If you feel like you are going to die, you have two choices. 

9 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Few countries want the downtrodden from other countries.  These people were kicked out of Burma and now living in camps in Bangladesh.  Their future destination is uncertain.  The focus should not be on these people threatened by violence but on the Burmese government that caused this problems.  Burma should be heavily sanctioned for causing this mess, and the Thai navy should not impose government whims on vessels in international waters outside of maritime law.   We can all guess that the GPS on the Thai boat was possibly broken.   Just a big misunderstanding as always. 

This is nothing new:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

"Historians have estimated that approximately a quarter of them died in death camps during World War II." 

If you feel like you are going to die, you have two choices. 

Err

...do a little fact checking.  

The Muslim's attacked a number of police stations and villages murdering people.  The Burmese government took action as I hope any responsible government would. 

The perpetrators have brought this upon themselves,  I agree it's a shame some many people have been caught up in their religious brethren actions but that is life. 

When the average person denounces the actions of the radicals en masse then things may change.  I won't hold my breath waiting for it. 

Disclaimer... I live and work in Myanmar and have done so for a number of years. 

18 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Err

...do a little fact checking.  

The Muslim's attacked a number of police stations and villages murdering people.  The Burmese government took action as I hope any responsible government would. 

The perpetrators have brought this upon themselves,  I agree it's a shame some many people have been caught up in their religious brethren actions but that is life. 

When the average person denounces the actions of the radicals en masse then things may change.  I won't hold my breath waiting for it. 

Disclaimer... I live and work in Myanmar and have done so for a number of years. 

Err,  The government took action against innocent men, women and children like any irresponsible government would. aung yang su ki should be arrested and stand trial.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Err,  The government took action against innocent men, women and children like any irresponsible government would. aung yang su ki should be arrested and stand trial.  

She has only ever been a figure head for the Army. Pull the strings and it walks and talks.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

She has only ever been a figure head for the Army. Pull the strings and it walks and talks.

And yet all those years under house arrest.  There was so much hope centered around her.  As much as I do not approve of the wet blanket running Thailand,  he hasn't pushed out 600k men, women and children.  Just when you think standards cannot get any lower.

Edited by yellowboat
  • Like 2