Worries arise over brimming dams even before start of rainy season

webfact

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

So when does the educated engineers at the dams let some water out?  When the dam is at

110 percent  or 120 percent full, or do they wait for the breach then just repair the huge

hole? Just curious of how they learned from their past mistakes?

Geezer

Unfortunately there is a good chance the educated engineers will have to wait on the decision of a 'superior' who will be told what is wanted by the people who put them into that position. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, tryasimight said:

What do you suggest?

They have about 15 years until the inevitable happens. So logic would suggest that if they start acting now, they have more time and more money to address the problem. 
I would probably suggest relocating the capital city of Thailand to another location, as you cannot fully fight off sea level rise to the degree that is going to be seen in Bangkok. And even if you could, it would be an ongoing battle that would cost unimaginable amounts of money. 
So, move the people businesses and everything else to a new location. 
Sitting and waiting for it to play out is the worst thing to do 

9 hours ago, greeneking said:
  10 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

So when does the educated engineers at the dams let some water out?  When the dam is at

110 percent  or 120 percent full, or do they wait for the breach then just repair the huge

hole? Just curious of how they learned from their past mistakes?

Geezer

"Just curious of how they learned from their past mistakes?"

Unfortunately, it seems like that they DO NOT LEARN (or cannot learn) from their past mistakes. Where there is a lack of high order critical thinking there is no real solving of problems (let alone properly understanding the problems)!

Oh well, 'tis their country to 'stuff up' or move it forward for the benefit of all its peoples. As has been intimated from time to time by other posters "It would appear that farangs care more about this country than the locals". 

TIT  :sad:

Edited by lvr181
Grammar correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

They have about 15 years until the inevitable happens. So logic would suggest that if they start acting now, they have more time and more money to address the problem. 
I would probably suggest relocating the capital city of Thailand to another location, as you cannot fully fight off sea level rise to the degree that is going to be seen in Bangkok. And even if you could, it would be an ongoing battle that would cost unimaginable amounts of money. 
So, move the people businesses and everything else to a new location. 
Sitting and waiting for it to play out is the worst thing to do 

Never-the-less, that's pretty much what they'll do. I saw someone post a few years ago, that if the Greenland ice sheets melted (as they appear to be doing now), than Bangkok would sink under the rising seawater level. Then a Thai 'expert' - an oceanographer or meteorologist or something, leapt into the fray (looking for his 15 minutes of fame no doubt),  and said it was impossible for Greenland ice to submerge Bangkok because it was too far away.

This nincompoop was aided in the conversation by some farang ninny who said that anyway, the moon's gravity would make sure the sea level around Bangkok would not rise. I kid you not. I decided to wait a bit before signing on as a member after that - wait for the IQ level to creep up a bit. It was a good decision.

You just can't argue with that kind of stupid.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Haha 1

On 14/5/2561 at 8:05 AM, bannork said:

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/index.php/en.html

Folks, this is an excellent website for tracking the level of reservoir/dam water over the next few months during the rainy season.

I've never seen Bhumipol  and Sirikit dams so full in May, 57% and 56% respectively. And Bhumipol's capacity is large.

A couple of major monsoon storms and flooding will be inevitable.

Here are 2 more updated at 07:00 this morning.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/show_sm_dam.php?lang=en

On 14/5/2561 at 10:38 AM, otherstuff1957 said:

To put these numbers in perspective, you can click on a link in that page

Table of Large Dams

Which will link to graphs of dam water levels year by year.  If you compare this year with 2011 - the year of the big floods - ALL of the major dams have more water in them than they did at the same time in 2011. 

Stock up on rubber boots and small boats early folks! :shock1:

However in 2011 the Minister of Agriculture in the government at that time REFUSED to allow the water level to be lowered, as it was needed to irrigate the rice paddies in order for Thailand to corner the worl rice market.

He was still the minister the following year and ordered that the water levels be lowered as far as possible to alleviate the floods. Sadly the rainfall was far less and so Thailand had a drought instead.

Thailand does have many experts but unfortunately politicians rule.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Never-the-less, that's pretty much what they'll do. I saw someone post a few years ago, that if the Greenland ice sheets melted (as they appear to be doing now), than Bangkok would sink under the rising seawater level. Then a Thai 'expert' - an oceanographer or meteorologist or something, leapt into the fray (looking for his 15 minutes of fame no doubt),  and said it was impossible for Greenland ice to submerge Bangkok because it was too far away.

This nincompoop was aided in the conversation by some farang ninny who said that anyway, the moon's gravity would make sure the sea level around Bangkok would not rise. I kid you not. I decided to wait a bit before signing on as a member after that - wait for the IQ level to creep up a bit. It was a good decision.

You just can't argue with that kind of stupid.

wow that is stupid. It reminds of me what Trump said about cfc's in deodorant, that was also next level stupid climate change talk. 

i like it how they say *rainy season officially starts this week*  HELLO , it started 2 weeks ago at least, need the alter the calendar, sounds like KING CANUTE.   (look it up, ha ha)
if i remember correctly, King Canute went to the water's edge not to turn back the tide but to show his people he was not a god

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longgone said:

if i remember correctly, King Canute went to the water's edge not to turn back the tide but to show his people he was not a god

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's how the history was rewritten at least. So far as I understand it Canute (not his real Danish name, which Thaivisa in it's ineffable wisdom thinks is a rude word) tried to turn back the tide precisely because Canute thought that Canute could, but was wrong and history claims it was a clever plot to take down the hero worship of some of his nobles, a suggestion I am very dubious about.

I would be most unsurprised if a Christian historian with an agenda was in the reckoning somewhere.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

However in 2011 the Minister of Agriculture in the government at that time REFUSED to allow the water level to be lowered, as it was needed to irrigate the rice paddies in order for Thailand to corner the worl rice market.

He was still the minister the following year and ordered that the water levels be lowered as far as possible to alleviate the floods. Sadly the rainfall was far less and so Thailand had a drought instead.

Thailand does have many experts but unfortunately politicians rule.

Politicians rule - perhaps because the experts aren't so very expert. That would work.

6 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Politicians rule - perhaps because the experts aren't so very expert. That would work.

Perhaps politicians rule because they can buy their positions but experts have to work for it.

Posts containing profane acronyms have been removed as this forum rule applies to usage of profane acronyms:

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Off topic posts and the replies have been removed. 

• Thanks 1