Sending large parcels from the UK

garrya

We are about to move back to Thailand and my missus is moving first and of course she has tons of things that we have to send over from the UK.

I have checked various websites for quotes and found that sending 20-25 kg costs £100-200.

A few boxes can cost a fortune.  Has anybody got any tips and/or ideas what other options we could have?

We are not sending furniture, white goods etc just clothes and personal items.

Also, my stuff will follow hers in a few weeks time so that is gonna be another big hit on our budget. 

On a positive note, at least the local charity shops are enjoying and unexpected boom! :-)

Edited by garrya
typo

The only "cheap" option is in a container by sea.

But no matter how you ship it there is always a risk that the customs in Thailand will try to rip you off.

Try to get rid of most of your stuff.

If you still travel back to England sometimes you can take a bit with you to Thailand in your luggage every time.

On 16/05/2018 at 12:01 PM, jackdd said:

The only "cheap" option is in a container by sea.

But no matter how you ship it there is always a risk that the customs in Thailand will try to rip you off.

Try to get rid of most of your stuff.

If you still travel back to England sometimes you can take a bit with you to Thailand in your luggage every time.

We won't have anything left in England, so going back won't happen. 

The delivery goes under my missus' name and I heard that if it comes under a Thai name, there shouldn't be a problem.

It is just hard to get rid of everything third time in my life....:-(

We won't have anything left in England, so going back won't happen. 
The delivery goes under my missus' name and I heard that if it comes under a Thai name, there shouldn't be a problem.
It is just hard to get rid of everything third time in my life....:-(

Hire a forwarder that has an office in Bangkok.

Generate all the documentation, photos, descriptions etc. before it ships.

If you can fill half a 20’ container, that’s the way to go, otherwise LTL sea. If you book your own container, you fo not need to worry about packing. If you ship LTL, you’ll have to crate.

We’ve used PJ Transpack quite a few times successfully, but not from England. The agent in Thailand is important, as they have to get it through customs.

The easiest way would be contact a relocation company (someone like Crown).

They come out, take it apart, pack it, load it, insure it, ship it, deliver it, carry it upstairs, unpack it and put it back together. This is far and away the easiest way to go.

Fly on an airline that allows 40 kg per person checked luggage. If you have more than 80 kg, I suggest you don't need it. I own a small mountain of "stuff" that has been in storage for 20 years as I travelled the world, and if I'm honest, I don't "need" any of it.

I know that it's hard to part with some stuff, but reality is that most of what we own is not essential.

If it's not personal stuff, everything you need here can be bought locally for less than it would cost to bring over, especially if customs gets involved.

BTW, if some of what you want to bring is documents, the postal rate for paper is quite cheap in the UK, especially if sent surface.

Hi, I moved to Thailand last september and used a company called "Seven Seas". Like yourself i have a Thai wife and only needed to send 5 Large boxes although i could have sent 8 for the same price. Can't remember the exact price but it was very reasonable, they supplied the packing materials and came and collected the boxes and delivered them to the house in Thailand and i got no extra charges from customs.

You can get a price easily on their website.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to get rid of everything we don't need and just keep the personal items, clothes and only a few boxes will be sent over to Thailand. 

• Thanks 1