Researcher Urges Govt To Support Thai Cannabis Strains

webfact

Researcher Urges Govt To Support Thai Cannabis Strains

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

15618461727_a26589bb66_k-696x462.jpg

A sativa cannabis flower. Image: David Gach / Flickr

BANGKOK — An agricultural expert called on authorities Thursday to develop domestic cannabis strains for medical research instead of relying on expensive, foreign imports.

Two days after the cabinet approved a historic measure that cleared the way for cultivation and consumption of marijuana for research purposes, Kasetsart University professor Vichien Keeratinijakal warned that the end result must be affordable to the public.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/05/17/researcher-urges-govt-to-support-thai-cannabis-strains/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-17
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Because they're superior to strains from elsewhere?

More Thai exceptionalism?

Someone else looking for his 15 minutes of fame and to look trendy to his students.

They want to be the HUB of cannabis production in SE Asia. Actually I'm reminded I have a couple of rai implanted ! :-)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

They want to be the HUB of cannabis production in SE Asia. Actually I'm reminded I have a couple of rai implanted ! :-)

They want to be the best of everything. It's just tedious the way they bang on about Thai this and Thai that.

Growing pains.

• Like 1

If you want to do it with local varieties then you can dump all of his plans already. Other nations such as Netherlands, USA and Canada have a advantage of 15 years or more in this field.
How he's going to get that in a couple of months?

What is this stupid obsession that everything must be Thai related, origin etc....

When do they finally accept that Thailand isn't the center of the world for everything and will never be. By the way that goes for other countries as well. No one is perfect or can be good in everything...

Just read the full article.
And this professor and wannabe expert makes me think it's April fools day.

Statement #1

“Thai cannabis is considered to be the best in the world, so we should stick to the Thai strain to keep costs low,” Vichien, a botanist whose works involve medicinal plants, said in an interview

Statement #2

The majority of cannabis grown worldwide belongs to the indica strain, which requires a controlled environment and lighting condition; while the sativa strain – common in Thailand – is more resistant to harsh weather, Vichien said.

And here some real knowledge from someone I guess had grown some cannabis already instead of just reading journals and book....

“We like to talk about how our Thai strains are better than foreign ones and all that, but we don’t have research to back this up so far,” said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity out of legal concern. “The claims that Thai strains are better arose during the Vietnam War. That was the ‘70s. This is 2018.”

The leisure market in the UK has gone over almost entirely to the stronger skunk varieties, which as far as I know are not grown locally in Thailand. 

Whether or not skunk is better medicinally I am not qualified to judge, but if it is, maybe the relevant seeds and growing methods will need to be imported if the Government are serious about wanting to grow it for therapeutic purposes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CLW said:

And here some real knowledge from someone I guess had grown some cannabis already instead of just reading journals and book....

“We like to talk about how our Thai strains are better than foreign ones and all that, but we don’t have research to back this up so far,” said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity out of legal concern. “The claims that Thai strains are better arose during the Vietnam War. That was the ‘70s. This is 2018.”

I guess all the competitions in Netherlands and elsewhere have produced far better strains than what was there in the 70's. Still, better than nothing.

• Like 1

Those in the know are now saying the best weed is now being grown in California from Colorado seeds. Years ago Thai stick was preferred as there were a bit of heroin mixed in with it. era 1967-1974

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Those in the know are now saying the best weed is now being grown in California from Colorado seeds. Years ago Thai stick was preferred as there were a bit of heroin mixed in with it. era 1967-1974
Therefore a normal and reasonable thinking person would start with Colorado Seeds. But hey, TiT my friend.