VPNs and BBC iPlayer

Antiparovian

23 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Seriously take a look at SmartDNS Proxy.....works great with very fast speeds.

Unfortunately, this solution doesn't work with True as the ISP, due to the way that True handles DNS.

I have IP Vanish, paid subscription and none of the UK IP's work with BBC i Player or with Amazon Fire TV, been trying to find a way around this, especially for the Fire TV (UK version) and so far no joy, if anyone does know of a way, then tips would be appreciated.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately, this solution doesn't work with True as the ISP, due to the way that True handles DNS.
I have IP Vanish, paid subscription and none of the UK IP's work with BBC i Player or with Amazon Fire TV, been trying to find a way around this, especially for the Fire TV (UK version) and so far no joy, if anyone does know of a way, then tips would be appreciated.

Yes True internet doesn’t allow any VPN proxies

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

I started a 14-day trial, three days ago, with SmartDNSProxy. I can get The BBCiPlayer, and ITV and Channel 4 and Pandora and Capital Radio(without having to use a London postcode). I use True Fiber. I have just been upgraded to 100/30 for 899baht (after complaining about my old smart package of 50/20 for 999baht.) It is working a treat and my speeds are not affected when I use the internet. If it continues as well as this I will be subscribing. It was easy to change the DNS numbers manually as there is a helpful video an d text instructions. Happy days......Thank you Mario666 for the heads up.

6 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I started a 14-day trial, three days ago, with SmartDNSProxy. I can get The BBCiPlayer, and ITV and Channel 4 and Pandora and Capital Radio(without having to use a London postcode). I use True Fiber. I have just been upgraded to 100/30 for 899baht (after complaining about my old smart package of 50/20 for 999baht.) It is working a treat and my speeds are not affected when I use the internet. If it continues as well as this I will be subscribing. It was easy to change the DNS numbers manually as there is a helpful video an d text instructions. Happy days......

Interesting, thanks, I might give this a go in that case.

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Just a thought, but turning the 'location' feature off before engaging  VPN & trying to watch telly makes a difference on some devices, as does purging cookies.

I  clear my browser history, then switch on my VPN with connection to UK server before even opening BBC iPlayer app. Just to be sure.

51 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Just a thought, but turning the 'location' feature off before engaging  VPN & trying to watch telly makes a difference on some devices, as does purging cookies.

Yes, those can work.  But it did not help with ExpressVPN: at least they are now admitting that the BBC is winning in the “IPad-address battle”.

I shall try to get a refund from them!?!

But they are wrong in claiming that no VPNs will work with iPlayer as for a  month or so I have been using FLOWVPN regularly with no problems.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:31 AM, phetphet said:

Is this Smart DNS the same type of service as Unblock.us which I tried a few years ago? Please enlighten me if it is not, I found it to be a bit of a hassle. Perhaps I was doing it wrong.

I seem to recall I had to change some settings on my router, and then tune my Thai bought Samsung tv to UK settings. Then go back into the router and change back when I wanted to use True.

Is this the same for you? Or was I doing something wrong perhaps?

Sorry for late response....been offline for a break.

To answer your questions I also tried "Unblock"about 3 years ago...It was free and would only work intermittently.

With SmartDNS you do have to change your network adapter settings, but there are full instructions and you only need to do it once.

I also have Samsung TV and use UK language settings without any issue.

I did not have to change any Router settings and works fine with TRUE Fibre so if your Router is up to date you should be okay.

They have a 14 day free trial and the Online tech Support is great 24/7.

This is by far the cheapest and most reliable way I have found to watch UK TV.

They are also introducing free VPN for existing customers, but the Windows 10 Version is beta and I couldn't make it work without some

seriously "Geeky" twiddling, so I will wait until they have their "Out of The Box" solution working properly.

Good luck and please let me know how you get on.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:32 AM, rbkk said:

I started a 14-day trial, three days ago, with SmartDNSProxy. I can get The BBCiPlayer, and ITV and Channel 4 and Pandora and Capital Radio(without having to use a London postcode). I use True Fiber. I have just been upgraded to 100/30 for 899baht (after complaining about my old smart package of 50/20 for 999baht.) It is working a treat and my speeds are not affected when I use the internet. If it continues as well as this I will be subscribing. It was easy to change the DNS numbers manually as there is a helpful video an d text instructions. Happy days......Thank you Mario666 for the heads up.

My pleasure! :smile::thumbsup:

I am using My Expat Network VPN (paid) and it was just ok, but now it suffers from buffering, more so when I download to the iPlayer app than when streaming it (this still happens, but not as much).

I have contacted them and they have said about clearing browser etc (Edge) which I have done, but to no avail. They also suggested rebooting the router/modem, but am in a small block of apts and share it, so no access.

They will give me a refund on my subscription as have just renewed it, so am wondering if another VPN might be worth a try? Also a friend has said that he can access the BBC/iPlayer using Chrome and their Touch VPN?? 

I have harvested all of the BBC iPlayer domain names for my selective routing program.  Let me know if you need them.  With my program, I can be connected to the WAN or a VPN server in the USA.  But if I chose to watch BBC, the rules for BBC traffic will get a higher priority than my primary device which allows me to connect and watch BBC no matter what my device is configured to use by default. I plan to post the code to github soon once I wrap up some other projects.

1 hour ago, Mario666 said:

With SmartDNS you do have to change your network adapter settings, but there are full instructions and you only need to do it once.

I also have Samsung TV and use UK language settings without any issue.

I did not have to change any Router settings and works fine with TRUE Fibre so if your Router is up to date you should be okay.

They have a 14 day free trial and the Online tech Support is great 24/7.

This is by far the cheapest and most reliable way I have found to watch UK TV.

I have True Fibre (VDSL) in Bangkok, using a Humax HV100-02 and subscribed to the 14 day free trial with SmartDNS, religiously followed the setup instructions to the letter, using their Singapore (DNS 1) and Japan (DNS 2) DNS servers, as these are the closest to Thailand, as per their advice.

I have tried manually setting the DNS setup in Windows, Fire TV box and in the Humax, disabling the True DNS routing, both separately for each device and all together, none of this is working for me at all, any ideas why not?

SmartDNS have been very good support wise, so far they cannot work it out either, if I do a DNS leak test, then it shows that it is True BKK.

13 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I have True Fibre (VDSL) in Bangkok, using a Humax HV100-02 and subscribed to the 14 day free trial with SmartDNS, religiously followed the setup instructions to the letter, using their Singapore (DNS 1) and Japan (DNS 2) DNS servers, as these are the closest to Thailand, as per their advice.

I have tried manually setting the DNS setup in Windows, Fire TV box and in the Humax, disabling the True DNS routing, both separately for each device and all together, none of this is working for me at all, any ideas why not?

SmartDNS have been very good support wise, so far they cannot work it out either, if I do a DNS leak test, then it shows that it is True BKK.

I only tested SmartDNS one time about two years ago.  I did not work for me as I have a dynamic IP address and could not be bother with updating it every time I wanted to watch geo restricted content.  A fourm member on snbforums told me this morning that they have a way to handle that now.  You may want to ask him for his advice https://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-for-netflix.42661/page-7#post-407823

The first thought that comes to mind is the location of the SmartDNS servers.  Ask SmartDNS if they have servers in the UK if it is BBC you are trying to access, or the geo location you are trying to watch from.  That may be the issue.  Did you see if you can change DNS settings in the router?

27 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I am using TRUE fibre 50/20 with HUMAX HG100RE-02V router.....I have not changed any of the router settings as if something goes wrong it takes TRUE about 3 days to come out to me.

I have the same DNS settings as you, i.e., Singapore and Hongkong.

I just use my Windows 10 Laptop connected directly by HDMI to my Samsung TV. I don't know what FIRE TV box is....is it a bit like APPLE TV or AMAZON FireStick?

I also had a dodgy DNS Leak Test so SMART asked  me what Antivirus I was using and I told them AVAST....they said AVAST sometimes changes your DNS settings without you knowing so try something else.

So I reverted back to a "clean install" of AVG having done a complete Revo Uninstall of AVAST and Hey Presto!...Problem solved!

Please let me know if this helps.:smile:

39 minutes ago, Xentrk said:

I only tested SmartDNS one time about two years ago.  I did not work for me as I have a dynamic IP address and could not be bother with updating it every time I wanted to watch geo restricted content.  A fourm member on snbforums told me this morning that they have a way to handle that now.  You may want to ask him for his advice https://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-for-netflix.42661/page-7#post-407823

The first thought that comes to mind is the location of the SmartDNS servers.  Ask SmartDNS if they have servers in the UK if it is BBC you are trying to access, or the geo location you are trying to watch from.  That may be the issue.  Did you see if you can change DNS settings in the router?

I have activated the IP address each time, so not an issue there, will look at the other forum thanks.

SmartDNS state that it matters not where the DNS servers are located, so long as the location is set in your account.

Yes, set these correctly in the router.

31 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

I am using TRUE fibre 50/20 with HUMAX HG100RE-02V router.....I have not changed any of the router settings as if something goes wrong it takes TRUE about 3 days to come out to me.

I have the same DNS settings as you, i.e., Singapore and Hongkong.

I just use my Windows 10 Laptop connected directly by HDMI to my Samsung TV. I don't know what FIRE TV box is....is it a bit like APPLE TV or AMAZON FireStick?

I also had a dodgy DNS Leak Test so SMART asked  me what Antivirus I was using and I told them AVAST....they said AVAST sometimes changes your DNS settings without you knowing so try something else.

So I reverted back to a "clean install" of AVG having done a complete Revo Uninstall of AVAST and Hey Presto!...Problem solved!

Please let me know if this helps.:smile:

Thanks, I use Norton AV, so will see if this is the cause.

30 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Thanks, I use Norton AV, so will see if this is the cause.

Try just disabling Norton and do a brief test....don't forget to replace your AV before you go back surfing!!!

SmartDNS Suport wrote to me:

1 . Dns leak test shows some Thailand DNS IP which isn't our Smart DNS . Please check once again configuration of your streaming devices and use only our DNS IPs.

2. If you have any antivirus like Avast then turn this service off and try to stream again. We just received information from our users that some Antivirus software updates causing trouble. For example Avast 2015 and AVG have a new feature called “Secure DNS” which changes your DNS.

As I said I am using AVG and working fine!

Good luck! :smile:

23 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Try just disabling Norton and do a brief test....don't forget to replace your AV before you go back surfing!!!

Yes, that will be the plan later when I get back, it is Norton 360, so comes with a firewall as well, could be the reason.

Sorry, didn't answer a previous question, the Fire TV is an Amazon Fire TV box (not USB stick), there is the option in there to change the DNS, however, when I go back to it they have reverted back to the Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) this could be hard written in to the box to avoid being able to view geo blocked Prime stuff, not sure if it possible to block Google DNS addresses in the Humax router.

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

Yes, that will be the plan later when I get back, it is Norton 360, so comes with a firewall as well, could be the reason.

Sorry, didn't answer a previous question, the Fire TV is an Amazon Fire TV box (not USB stick), there is the option in there to change the DNS, however, when I go back to it they have reverted back to the Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) this could be hard written in to the box to avoid being able to view geo blocked Prime stuff, not sure if it possible to block Google DNS addresses in the Humax router.

What are you using to connect to the Fire TV Box or is that just a set top box with a remote?

Also is your TV a Smart TV?....

Either way if you have a PC or a laptop that you can connect directly to the HDMI port on the TV (or Monitor) and you could test the theory.

I don't subscribe to any movie/media packages, boxes, Kodi boxes,etc., as I either watch something on UK TV channels or YouTube.

If I want a particular movie or concert I just download them via one of the Torrent Sites, e.g.,     https://proxybay.bz/ ....more than you can ever

watch FOC.

You can also get loads of stuff FOC at the following URLs:

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/?loginComplete=true

http://www.teatimetv.to/

https://eplfootballmatch.com/

https://www.itv.com/

In the past I have also subscribed occasionally to "u-play"

https://web.u-play.tv/webapp/?a=tv      There's loads of channels, movies, sports, etc., and for the Premium Package it is only 300 Thb per

month, but service is variable and often poor when there are big Matches on, boxing, etc.

With SmartDNS you can also access sites around the world....Many FOC, but for things like NetFlix you would need a subscription.

With that lot you should find something! :smile::thumbsup:

BTW are you are Brit?

What are you using to connect to the Fire TV Box or is that just a set top box with a remote?

Also is your TV a Smart TV?....

The Fire TV box connects to the TV via HDMI and to the internet via the WiFi LAN, it is a set top box specifically for Amazon related content and apps, however you can sideload any Android app, as behind all of the Amazon stuff it is really running Android, so I do have some of the Free to air stuff, as well as paid for I View HD loaded on to it, these work well, what I cannot access is the Amazon Prime stuff that is Geo-blocked.

The TV is a cheap 'dumb' model.

BTW are you are Brit?

Sure am.

22 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The Fire TV box connects to the TV via HDMI and to the internet via the WiFi LAN, it is a set top box specifically for Amazon related content and apps, however you can sideload any Android app, as behind all of the Amazon stuff it is really running Android, so I do have some of the Free to air stuff, as well as paid for I View HD loaded on to it, these work well, what I cannot access is the Amazon Prime stuff that is Geo-blocked.

The TV is a cheap 'dumb' model.

Sure am.

Well if you don't have a laptop or MacBook I suggest you get either.....for a small cost upfront you can get everything I referred to FOC and it

works. You can also do all this stuff on your tablet or phone, but obviously you have the charging issues and quality is not as good. It is also a bit

more complicated to setup and obviously the 'device" is pretty much tied up when you want to watch something....they also heat up and I am

sure over time it will knacker the batteries.

I just bought a brand new Dell Inspiron laptop, 4Gb Ram, 500Gb Hard drive, Radeon Graphics, 2.0Ghz for 13,900 Thb.

Nothing fancy but quick and great graphics.....superb quality when replaying or streaming through my "Dumb" Samsung TV.

20 hours ago, Mario666 said:

I have both a Fire TV Stick and Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD.  The primary reason was to use them when traveling.  There is no option to connect via Ethernet cable.  It is all done over WiFi.  To load iPlayer, you need to follow these instructions if you did not purchase the Fire TV in the UK http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-geographically-restricted-apps-from-amazon/

If you have an Android box, you need to do a similar technique, but using the Android (Google) Play store.

image.thumb.png.b7c18ce698331bdd3849f62e3204e953.png

15 minutes ago, Xentrk said:

I have both a Fire TV Stick and Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD.  The primary reason was to use them when traveling.  There is no option to connect via Ethernet cable.  It is all done over WiFi.  To load iPlayer, you need to follow these instructions if you did not purchase the Fire TV in the UK http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-geographically-restricted-apps-from-amazon/

I purchased my Fire TV box whilst in the UK, using the same address that my UK credit card is registered to, the article you linked to would work to get the apps (BBC iplayer was preloaded on mine) however, you cannot watch it as it is geo-blocked content, this is the issue I am having getting SmartDNS to work.

1 hour ago, Xentrk said:

If you have an Android box, you need to do a similar technique, but using the Android (Google) Play store.

Well I simply take my laptop with me (always have iPhone and iPad mini as well) when I travel and all works fine over WiFi.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Mario666 said:

Hey mate,

Seriously take a look at SmartDNS Proxy.....works great with very fast speeds.

I just checked my account and I was wrong...My subscription was actually less than $25 US for 24 months!

Good luck and please let me know what happens? ??

I am giving SmartDNS Proxy a trial run (thanks for the info) and managed to watch a BBC iPlayer doco last night with just a little buffering, but much more watchable than my previous VPN so will persevere and see what goes.

8 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I am giving SmartDNS Proxy a trial run (thanks for the info) and managed to watch a BBC iPlayer doco last night with just a little buffering

Can I ask which ISP you use?

Archived