VPNs and BBC iPlayer

Antiparovian

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

No problems Mattd, and according to my landlord, whom I just asked, it is 3BB fibre-optic.

Thanks, I have 3BB Fibre in my home, so when back there tomorrow I am going to try to see if the SmartDNS works there, as sure cannot get it to work in the condo and True.

Well, tried SmartDNS on my home computer with 3BB fibre and it works fine with BBC iplayer, so obviously the problem lies within the True connection I have in the condo in Bangkok ?

I'll try contacting True (never easy as a Farang!) and see if I can get the info needed to get around their transparent proxy, I suspect that I need to add the DNS addresses to the setup page of the router, unfortunately right now that is impossible, as when I try to apply the settings, then it wants a user name and password, these I do not have, as it is UN & PW for the connection to True, hopefully these I can get from them, in any case, just subscribed to SmartDNS for 2 years, worth a punt for just 49.90 USD.

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Well, tried SmartDNS on my home computer with 3BB fibre and it works fine with BBC iplayer, so obviously the problem lies within the True connection I have in the condo in Bangkok ?

I'll try contacting True (never easy as a Farang!) and see if I can get the info needed to get around their transparent proxy, I suspect that I need to add the DNS addresses to the setup page of the router, unfortunately right now that is impossible, as when I try to apply the settings, then it wants a user name and password, these I do not have, as it is UN & PW for the connection to True, hopefully these I can get from them, in any case, just subscribed to SmartDNS for 2 years, worth a punt for just 49.90 USD.

Nice one...really hope it works out for you Matt.....Let me know how it goes.

Trying to sort anything technical out over here is so difficult because there are so many variables and even the "Variables" vary ???

Add to that the generally poor support service and the language difficulties and Bob's your Auntie....

Which part of the UK are you from BTW.

5 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Which part of the UK are you from BTW

Thanks, if I can get through to True, then things should work out.

Born in Stoke-on-Trent, then moved to Chester at 16, been here since 89!

17 hours ago, Mattd said:

Thanks, if I can get through to True, then things should work out.

Born in Stoke-on-Trent, then moved to Chester at 16, been here since 89!

Love Chester....Lived in Altrincham 30+ years before LOS.

Still have 2 houses, 1 wife there!

23 hours ago, Mattd said:

22 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Trying to sort anything technical out over here is so difficult because there are so many variables and even the "Variables" vary

Thought I would try "contacting" you guys because we seem to be on the same wavelength with regards to VPNs etc......... well at least you two guys are, because I'm still having some problems and I'm hoping you can help me with them! (PLEASE).

I have got the SmartDNS on a trial period and was reasonably happy with it, more so when I stream directly from the BBC iPlayer site because the quality is good and I just get a little buffering once or twice.

Completely different when I download it to the iPlayer application and try and play it from that, because it is a continuous "blip"/jump every four or five seconds, which makes it basically unwatchable.

Anyway last night I tried to stream a program directly from the BBC and I got this message, "sorry you don't have enough bandwidth to play this right now". This was rather surprising as it was 10 PM our time here and I thought the Internet would be fairly free of traffic by then?

I did a quick speed test on my connection and although it showed an average of just over 2MB/s, apparently the BBC site needs around 2.5MB/s to operate properly?

So is there anything I can do about this or is it just the 3BB network and something which is outside of my control?

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thought I would try "contacting" you guys because we seem to be on the same wavelength with regards to VPNs etc......... well at least you two guys are, because I'm still having some problems and I'm hoping you can help me with them! (PLEASE).

I have got the SmartDNS on a trial period and was reasonably happy with it, more so when I stream directly from the BBC iPlayer site because the quality is good and I just get a little buffering once or twice.

Completely different when I download it to the iPlayer application and try and play it from that, because it is a continuous "blip"/jump every four or five seconds, which makes it basically unwatchable.

Anyway last night I tried to stream a program directly from the BBC and I got this message, "sorry you don't have enough bandwidth to play this right now". This was rather surprising as it was 10 PM our time here and I thought the Internet would be fairly free of traffic by then?

I did a quick speed test on my connection and although it showed an average of just over 2MB/s, apparently the BBC site needs around 2.5MB/s to operate properly?

So is there anything I can do about this or is it just the 3BB network and something which is outside of my control?

Hi Mr. X,

You have to have a decent line or WiFi connection.......I have TRUE 50/20 , but still get some buffering problems...Having said that I live on Samui so everything is via satellite and accordingly it is affected by the weather....particularly thunderstorms!....

If you live on the mainland somewhere get the best Fibre connection you can...Should be less than 1,000 Thb per month for 100 Mgbs downlaod!

Good to go! :smile::thumbsup:

Keep us in the loop!

1 minute ago, Mario666 said:

Hi Mr. X,

You have to have a decent line or WiFi connection.......I have TRUE 50/20 , but still get some buffering problems...Having said that I live on Samui so everything is via satellite and accordingly it is affected by the weather....particularly thunderstorms!....

If you live on the mainland somewhere get the best Fibre connection you can...Should be less than 1,000 Thb per month for 100 Mgbs downlaod!

Good to go! :smile::thumbsup:

Keep us in the loop!

Thanks for replying Mr Mario...……...I cannot change the provider as it is a central feed and router to 8 apartments!!

However I do seem to remember that in setting it up the owner designated me a 2.4ghz band but there is one on 5 ghz (did I get that right?) So would that help or am I way off here??

The signal seems to be strong enough although I do have a signal booster I can install if that would make any difference?

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for replying Mr Mario...……...I cannot change the provider as it is a central feed and router to 8 apartments!!

However I do seem to remember that in setting it up the owner designated me a 2.4ghz band but there is one on 5 ghz (did I get that right?) So would that help or am I way off here??

The signal seems to be strong enough although I do have a signal booster I can install if that would make any difference?

If you are in a condo on WiFi there is little you can do except by a "Booster" as you said.

However, that will only improve your "Reception" and will not make any difference to your Download Speed......

You are seriously "under powered".

Are you friendly with the neighbours/landlord?....I would advise getting together and getting an upgrade on the WiFi....Who is your provider?

Also do a speed test http://www.speedtest.net/

22 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

If you are in a condo on WiFi there is little you can do except by a "Booster" as you said.

However, that will only improve your "Reception" and will not make any difference to your Download Speed......

You are seriously "under powered".

Are you friendly with the neighbours/landlord?....I would advise getting together and getting an upgrade on the WiFi....Who is your provider?

Also do a speed test http://www.speedtest.net/

Thanks Mario...……..

My download speed as just tested is 3.78Mbps. 

As mentioned earlier would the 5Ghz router band make any difference??

Will try and talk to the owner, but he has done a lot for me in the past and I fear asking for too much!

I do have a satellite True visions connection for sport and movies...……..can that be used I wonder?

I also have a wireless AIS plug in which needs an update and this says it is 21Mbps...…...can I renew that and use it?

cheers 

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks Mario...……..

My download speed as just tested is 3.78Mbps. 

As mentioned earlier would the 5Ghz router band make any difference??

Will try and talk to the owner, but he has done a lot for me in the past and I fear asking for too much!

I do have a satellite True visions connection for sport and movies...……..can that be used I wonder?

cheers 

Hi X...As I said you are seriously "under powered"...

You either need to get your fellow residents together and get an upgrade on the line speed or see if the landlord will allow you to install your own dedicated line.....as long as you keep sharing you will have problems!

18 hours ago, xylophone said:

Sorry for the late reply, regarding your internet speed, this will not improve significantly by using 5GHz over 2.4GHz, the throughput on the WiFi is better, it just doesn't improve the internet speed, which is usually a lot slower than the WiFi itself, as Mario has said, you are probably getting some serious contention issues also, depending on the number of the users in your block on the net at the same time, ideally you need a connection of your own.

You should try a speed test with http://testmy.net/ if you sign up, you can choose to do the tests to and from London, which will give you a much better idea of the true download or upload speed, as they are not cached, unlike most other speed testers. 

On 6/3/2018 at 5:19 AM, Mario666 said:

Love Chester....Lived in Altrincham 30+ years before LOS.

Still have 2 houses, 1 wife there!

Have family living in Altrincham, also a nice place.

19 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Hi X...As I said you are seriously "under powered"...

You either need to get your fellow residents together and get an upgrade on the line speed or see if the landlord will allow you to install your own dedicated line.....as long as you keep sharing you will have problems!

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Sorry for the late reply, regarding your internet speed, this will not improve significantly by using 5GHz over 2.4GHz, the throughput on the WiFi is better, it just doesn't improve the internet speed, which is usually a lot slower than the WiFi itself, as Mario has said, you are probably getting some serious contention issues also, depending on the number of the users in your block on the net at the same time, ideally you need a connection of your own

Thank you both for taking the time to engage on this and for your helpful replies, so I thought I'd give you an update...........

Firstly, it has become apparent that I am "seriously underpowered", however this has only been evident of late so I'm wondering if 3BB have somehow throttled back on bandwidth, or indeed if the landlord here has decided to cut back on the bandwidth for which he pays (it is free for the occupiers, but for long termers like me, it is essential). I will have a word with him and even if I have to pay extra to increase the bandwidth (for the whole block it would appear) then I don't mind.

In the meantime I had an idea that I might be able to make things work with an AIS air card (the plug-in to the computer thingy) and as I had an old one, I took it to the AIS office and got them to install a one-week trial with 6Mbps, which only cost 270 baht, so neither here nor there if it didn't work.

I was very hopeful that this would work, especially with the SmartDNS workaround for the BBC iPlayer etc, however even when I installed the new settings on the AIS, it would override them and would not accept the SmartDNS settings, so my hopes were dashed!

Other options discussed include running a new line up to the apartment block, however the providers are not keen on doing this because the apartment block is way up a long drive, off the beaten track, furthermore the landlord doesn't like the idea of one particular line being run, especially if it means drilling holes or similar in his beloved apartments!!

I did a couple of speed tests yesterday evening, actually more than a couple, and the bandwidth is all over the place ranging from 0.8 to 1.5 to 3.4 Mbps and not only that, it has become so bad at the moment that I can't even watch YouTube videos or even clips in my online newspaper. 

I can't think of any other workarounds, so it looks like a word with the landlord and paying to upgrade the 3BB service!! 

Thanks again and I will let you know the outcome.

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I was very hopeful that this would work, especially with the SmartDNS workaround for the BBC iPlayer etc, however even when I installed the new settings on the AIS, it would override them and would not accept the SmartDNS settings, so my hopes were dashed!

Yes, unfortunately using 4G is not an option, as the DNS is set by the mobile provider.

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

the bandwidth is all over the place ranging from 0.8 to 1.5 to 3.4 Mbps

That is very poor, using Testmynet to London on my home 3BB connection (100/20) I usually see speeds of around 20 - 25 Mbps.

Could you not see if 3BB are able to put a separate connection to you only if your landlord agreed?

48 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Could you not see if 3BB are able to put a separate connection to you only if your landlord agreed?

Unfortunately he is a very prickly landlord (Italian), good on some days, bad on others, and I have just spoken to him and he suggests that it is my computer and Microsoft which is to blame because he has the highest broad bandwidth on 3BB and can go no higher, and anyway, his Apple works fine, so it's a problem with my computer and Microsoft according to him.

I have just done a speed test and it comes in at around 16Mbs which is reasonable, however last night it was extremely low and too low to be able to stream anything.

He is in the process of bringing his Apple PC to my room to show me how he gets the maximum speed, and my computer must be at fault – – I wait with bated breath.

And no, I don't want to move out as I've been here five years and in the main things are fine.

Let's see what his computer speed test is?

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

Should not make any difference if the test is like for like, interested to hear.

It has been an afternoon fraught with stress, shouting, disagreements and just about everything else thrown into the mix.

On my speed test I was getting anything between about 1.7 to 15Mbps and he bought his Apple into my room and immediately got 26Mbps, back in his room he was getting 96Mbps, so maybe his argument that the Apple had a better internal antenna or system to deal with this was correct (he was still arguing that the Apple automatically selected 5 ghz so that's why his signal was stronger and system better).

We then got the 3BB people round and they did a few tests and in my room they got the same readings that I got, not only on their iPad thingy, but also on their computer?? A bit of a caveat on that, occasionally it did go higher than mine.

Anyway with the Italian landlord screaming and shouting that I was an idiot and my computer was sh1t, I offered to pay for a new modem/router and it so happens that the current model we have has been superseded, so I have offered to pay for a new one and see what works.

So strange that his Apple can pick up 96Mbps in his room and it is exactly, yes exactly, the same distance between our computers and the modem, with exactly the same walls and partitions in between – – go figure?

Anyway I think he has calmed down now, this after I threatened to kill him (in jest, but I think he took it fairly seriously) and he has come round to thinking that occasionally 3BB could be to blame, so we will see what happens when this new modem is installed. He also told me to <deleted> Bill Gates!!

In the meantime I'm looking to see if I can download anything onto my computer to improve my Internet speed/capacity?? I do have a signal booster, but not sure that that will do a lot of good, however can only but try.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

So strange that his Apple can pick up 96Mbps in his room and it is exactly, yes exactly, the same distance between our computers and the modem, with exactly the same walls and partitions in between – – go figure?

I would seriously doubt those speeds, where were they to?

It is possible he is prioritizing his connection as well, in theory there should be no difference in speeds for an Apple computer, the internet speed is purely from the router to the outside, the 5GHz part will have a better WiFi throughput for sure, but then bottlenecks from the router outwards, it cannot improve that part.

Suggest if possible to connect to the router via an ethernet cable and then test.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

I would seriously doubt those speeds, where were they to?

It is possible he is prioritizing his connection as well, in theory there should be no difference in speeds for an Apple computer, the internet speed is purely from the router to the outside, the 5GHz part will have a better WiFi throughput for sure, but then bottlenecks from the router outwards, it cannot improve that part.

Suggest if possible to connect to the router via an ethernet cable and then test.

We both used the Ookla test at the same time and I witnessed the Apple test to the same in his room!! Curious...………...taking a break now to see what the 3BB boys come up with tomorrow.

Still can't see the Apple making that much difference and anyway he argues all sorts of strange points as I mentioned before and it makes life stressful!

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

We both used the Ookla test at the same time and I witnessed the Apple test to the same in his room!! Curious...………...taking a break now to see what the 3BB boys come up with tomorrow.

Still can't see the Apple making that much difference and anyway he argues all sorts of strange points as I mentioned before and it makes life stressful!

The issue is that most speed tests are cached, so meaningless in reality, plus if you are doing a test to say Bangkok, then this is not a true test for your purposes.

He could also have played with the QoS settings the router to give his Laptop priority over all others.

Do you know what the 3BB speeds are that he is paying for, at 96Mbps, then it would have to be reasonably good.

Do you know what WiFi protocol version your computer is using? (802.11ac is common now)

Understand the stress, probably not worth the hassle in the end.

43 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The issue is that most speed tests are cached, so meaningless in reality, plus if you are doing a test to say Bangkok, then this is not a true test for your purposes.

He could also have played with the QoS settings the router to give his Laptop priority over all others.

Do you know what the 3BB speeds are that he is paying for, at 96Mbps, then it would have to be reasonably good.

Do you know what WiFi protocol version your computer is using? (802.11ac is common now)

Understand the stress, probably not worth the hassle in the end.

He is paying for 3BB 100Mbps via fibre optic. whereas the best I am getting now is 21 Mbps……….and I have to say that I would be happy with that BUT the other evening and even yesterday, it went down to 1.5 to 3,5 Mbps. And virtually no-one else is using the internet here!

Could be a 3BB problem as yesterday the Techies were pondering over their computer and speed test devices and couldn't explain why the readings were so low??

Wifi protocol?? My computer is/has an Intel Dual Band wireless-AC3165, 802.11ac.

Really want to get a good connection because so much good stuff to see on BBC and it won't play without buffering.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Wifi protocol?? My computer is/has an Intel Dual Band wireless-AC3165, 802.11ac.

This should be fine then, I really do not believe that your Landlord's Apple is any better WiFi wise, as almost certainly using the same protocol, as will be the router.

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

He is paying for 3BB 100Mbps via fibre optic

This is what I have at home and have never seen a speed test as high as your Landlord's.

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Could be a 3BB problem as yesterday the Techies were pondering over their computer and speed test devices and couldn't explain why the readings were so low??

If they come again and you have a quiet chance to talk with them, maybe they should check the QoS settings, if the router has such.

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Really want to get a good connection because so much good stuff to see on BBC and it won't play without buffering.

Yes, it is very frustrating, again, this also MIGHT be due to QoS, as this can be set to prioritize for different surfing, so if streaming isn't one of them it comes lower down in the chain.

Are you in an area with lots of other WiFi connections, i.e. any idea how many WiFi networks can be seen, an easy way is to click on the WiFi symbol on the taskbar and look how may connections are available to you.

The reason I ask is that there could be some interference from other networks using the same channel band that could be causing the difference in speed and if so, then it may improve if the channel is changed to another, there are loads of apps available to check this, the 3BB guys should be aware of this.

There seems to be a lot of confusion for what is a pretty straight forward situation. 

Firstly, your connection to the outside world, your modem/router to the internet. You pay your internet provider for a package, say 50Mbps, thats what they give you (in thailand, often a bit over). Anything from the broader internet will come to you at that speed, SO LONG AS ITS BEING SENT AT THAT SPEED. if you are downloading a movie from Bolivia, and its being uploaded at 10Mbps, thats it, that is as quick as it will come to you. If the broader internet is congested or you have a VPN etc, that will dictate the speed it comes to you at. Nothing to do with you local provider, your router or your computer. The same as having a car that can go 100kph, if the express-way is full of traffic, or you are at a red light waiting to get on the express-way, you are not going 100kph. You wouldn't be calling up Toyota and saying there is something wrong with your car.

Then there is the connection from your modem/router to your devices, This speed can never be faster than the speed that the data is coming from the internet at, the 10Mbps movie from Bolivia will still be at 10Mbps across Ethernet or wifi. Your local router to device connection can, however, run slower than your internet connection, not an issue with Ethernet as most will be 100/1000 Mbps, as fast or faster than the fastest internet connection, or the incoming data from the internet. Wifi can often be the bottle neck, running slower than your internet. A local download being "sent" at 50Mbps can be coming in at 50Mbps, if your wifi is 20Mbps, thats it, it will come to your device at 20 Mbps.

90% of wifi speed problems (2.4Ghz) can be improved by choosing a free channel between your router and device, in Condos etc the channels can be conjested , the theoretical speed of 50Mbps can be 5Mbps if everyone in the building is on the same channel. The 5Ghz spectrum is faster and less congested but not always a viable option as a 5Ghz router and devices is required. So long as you have a wifi speed the same or faster than your theroretical internet speed there is no problem.

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

He is paying for 3BB 100Mbps via fibre optic. whereas the best I am getting now is 21 Mbps……….and I have to say that I would be happy with that BUT the other evening and even yesterday, it went down to 1.5 to 3,5 Mbps. And virtually no-one else is using the internet here!

It sounds like wifi channel congestion, lots of people on the same channels. Very easy to test by connecting ethernet, Get a wifi analizer app for your phone and you will see. If BBC is buffering its probably 100 other connection variables , VPN, UK server, Thai capacity to UK, and not much to do with your local connection speed or equipment.

38 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It sounds like wifi channel congestion, lots of people on the same channels. Very easy to test by connecting ethernet, Get a wifi analizer app for your phone and you will see. If BBC is buffering its probably 100 other connection variables , VPN, UK server, Thai capacity to UK, and not much to do with your local connection speed or equipment.

Peter,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post, really very much appreciated.

I believe I understand most of what you have said in your two posts, however there are some factors which I really can't get my head around.

Firstly there are only about five of the apartments here which are occupied and most of them would not be using the Internet by all accounts. So not sure if Wi-Fi channel congestion would play a part, but there again I'm a novice in these things.

When I have been connected to the BBC of late (this has only happened over the past week or two) I occasionally get the whole download stop and a notice come up which says that I don't have enough bandwidth to continue this and would I like to try again later?

So that is suggesting my bandwidth is at fault, is it not?

What I also can't understand is that my bandwidth gets so bad (of late) that even the 20 second video clips in my local newspaper buffer!!

As Matt has said, perhaps the speed tests are not a good indication of what's going on, however they do vary considerably and even the 3BB boys were puzzled by their low readings and at least the landlord here had a go at them by saying that he was paying for 100Mbps yet all that they were showing was 20, despite several tries on several different pieces of equipment??

The router is outside the block on a pole and inside a sealed box, so running a cable to it is really not possible.

Last night I tried a range extender on my PC, but that did nothing.

I do believe the landlord is contemplating getting another router which is a 1200mbps (or something similar) model and I'm not sure if this will work or not, but I do need to try something and I have said that I will pay for it.

In addition not too sure that keeping it outside in a sealed metal box is going to be the best thing to do, however he seems adamant that it is okay?

Get a wifi analizer app for your phone and you will see......My old Nokia won't take that!! Can it be used on my pc?

Archived