VPNs and BBC iPlayer

Antiparovian

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Browsec,had it few years now ,no problem connecting to BBC iPlayer,

you have to have an account now, and sign in,they also ask you ,"do you have

tv license" ? and you say yes.just tried it now for you no problems.

regards worgeordie

I was able to side load the BBC iPlayer App on my Fire TV device and iPad by creating an Amazon Account in the UK.  Then, downloading the app.  See this website for instructions.

BBC iPlayer blocks known VPN providers  My provider is TorGuard.  They offer a private streaming IP address in the UK to get around VPN blocks.  They also offer the same in the USA to get around VPN blocks put in place by Netflix and Hulu.  I recently started a blog site and you can read more about TorGuard here and why it is my preferred provider as an expat.  https://x3mtek.com/why-i-use-torguard-as-my-vpn-provider/

I have the OpenVPN client installed on my router. I use Selective Routing to direct some streaming media traffic to my Private IP in USA, some to server in Los Angeles and the other to the UK as mentioned above.  That way, no matter what device I am watching from, Roku, Android Box, Fire TV, iPad or Laptop, my traffic is routed per the selective routing rules.

Started my PureVPN (paid subscription).

Selected purpose "BBC iPlayer (faster streaming), connected.

Opened BBC iPlayer site.

Signed in with my fake account (not used for months, I am not British :smile:).

Clicked on Royal Wedding, what else :biggrin:

Fine:

iplayer.jpg

Other stuff also seems to work ("Our Girl"...).

Have you tried contacting support? Quite helpful.

I use VPN and had this problem before. I emailed support and they told me to try a different UK server. There are three in London. I think they told me to try the Berkshire one, and that worked for me.

Update.  I just tried connecting to iPlayer. Haven't used it for a month. You are right. I could not connect. Will go back on and try some different UK servers.

12 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Have you tried contacting support? Quite helpful.

I use VPN and had this problem before. I emailed support and they told me to try a different UK server. There are three in London. I think they told me to try the Berkshire one, and that worked for me.

Update.  I just tried connecting to iPlayer. Haven't used it for a month. You are right. I could not connect. Will go back on and try some different UK servers.

Hi Phetpet.....are you talking to me and are you talking about SmartDNS using their VPN?

I use Browsec,had it few years now ,no problem connecting to BBC iPlayer,
you have to have an account now, and sign in,they also ask you ,"do you have
tv license" ? and you say yes.just tried it now for you no problems.
regards worgeordie

Doesn’t work on browser but sometimes does on iOS

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Hi Phetpet.....are you talking to me and are you talking about SmartDNS using their VPN?

No. I was talking to OP.

I contacted ExpressVPN support again this morning via Chat, and below, (see image)  is part of what I got in reply.

They suggested in the meantime I might want to try  tvcatchup.com  tvplayer.com using a UK server, and a Swiss server for zatoo.com

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 10.35.50.png

I have a problem running downloaded files from BBCiPlayer.

I run the latest iPlayer from the BBC and can watch online.

It does not ask for tv licence details when registering.

I can bookmark the site and open without logging in again.

I use Kaspersky VPN showing UK.  

I use Comodo Ice Dragon browser.

Most times the tv programs download ok, occasionally it will show in iPlayer that "Sorry, you don't have enough bandwidth to play this right now".

When clicking on the iPlayer download button of the video I want to download It asks "This link needs to be opened with an application" but I don't know what to choose or how ?

Comodo Ice Dragon ( CID ) security sandboxes some of the files.   How can I move those files to the DASH folder ?

How can I stop CID from sandboxing the files in the future ?

The downloaded file goes in to a DASH file.  

I cannot play the video I have downloaded.

I an oldie and not a techie, can anyone please help with what I need to do  ?

Hey mate,

Seriously take a look at SmartDNS Proxy.....works great with very fast speeds.

I just checked my account and I was wrong...My subscription was actually less than $25 US for 24 months!

Good luck and please let me know what happens? ??

3 hours ago, davidst01 said:

Avoid 'purevpn'. Its quite annoying to use with many messages. Cant even kill the app clicking on the red x

Highly recommended!

What are writing about?

Must be a different PureVPN.

Free/trial version?

I start it, select the purpose "BBC iPlayer" and click on United Kingdom.

What messages, what red-x?

No idea.

See also post #6.

purevpn.jpg

And works without a glitch (breakfast show).

iplayer2.jpg

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Why is anyone paying crap vpn providers they are all the same slow connection buffering or just plain useless its all free and got easily every UK channel . 

I also use my VPN when I do online banking, and accessing some things that are not always available here.

Also when I am using my phone on unsecured networks.

38 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I also use my VPN when I do online banking, and accessing some things that are not always available here.

Also when I am using my phone on unsecured networks.

Excellent point about VPN for online banking, etc., but I have tried all the major VPNs for watching UK TV, and all give shit speeds and BBC eventually blocks them!

1 hour ago, Mario666 said:

Excellent point about VPN for online banking, etc., but I have tried all the major VPNs for watching UK TV, and all give shit speeds and BBC eventually blocks them!

Is this Smart DNS the same type of service as Unblock.us which I tried a few years ago? Please enlighten me if it is not, I found it to be a bit of a hassle. Perhaps I was doing it wrong.

I seem to recall I had to change some settings on my router, and then tune my Thai bought Samsung tv to UK settings. Then go back into the router and change back when I wanted to use True.

Is this the same for you? Or was I doing something wrong perhaps?

On 5/20/2018 at 2:06 PM, phetphet said:

I contacted ExpressVPN support again this morning via Chat, and below, (see image)  is part of what I got in reply.

They suggested in the meantime I might want to try  tvcatchup.com  tvplayer.com using a UK server, and a Swiss server for zatoo.com

That's pretty much what they told me 3 wks ago. It came back for a while but went off again after a few days. I can still access ITV and Sky News via YT but haven't succeeded accessing BBC iplayer since last week.

Fo iPlayer (and other online video providers) I signed up for a lifetime deal with getflix (a SmartDNS provider) over a year ago now, has been flawless. It's available for $35 here (referral link, earns you $10 and me $10) https://stacksocial.com/sales/getflix-lifetime-subscription?rid=535115

For other needs I also have a VPN - again got a lifetime deal over a year ago https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription and it's been perfect.

SmartDNS is best for TV imo, it only intercepts TV related traffic so doesn't impact the speed of any other websites. I have it set up on my router, so any device connected to my router can access iPlayer.

14 hours ago, evadgib said:

That's pretty much what they told me 3 wks ago. It came back for a while but went off again after a few days. I can still access ITV and Sky News via YT but haven't succeeded accessing BBC iplayer since last week.

Is that Sky News live ? 

I can get that using Kaspersky VPN set to UK and can also watch BBCiPlayer.

Archived