Database to track foreigners

EricTh

Bangkok Post reported they will come up with a database to track foreigners. 

I thought they already have that with all these 90 day reporting, work permit etc.

Don't tell me it is all manual now?

Don't worry, there's only three more months to go before it's all complete :cheesy:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1025048-foreigner-database-to-be-ready-in-six-months/

"The two agencies were told to have the new system fully functioning in six months.

As part of the new system, the Immigration Bureau will cancel the use of the Immigration 6 form and instead use e-passport data"

Unless every foreigner will be injected with GPS enabled RF chip or similar, i can't see any system good enough to track people based on their honesty and providing real information....

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Don't worry, there's only three more months to go before it's all complete :cheesy:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1025048-foreigner-database-to-be-ready-in-six-months/

"The two agencies were told to have the new system fully functioning in six months.

As part of the new system, the Immigration Bureau will cancel the use of the Immigration 6 form and instead use e-passport data"

General Prawit is in charge of this project, nobody takes any notice of him. 6 months could end up being 6 years. In any case they will probably use pirate copies of databases which are programmed to fail at a later date.

My understanding is that as part of the "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" relationship, the Thai Immigration hardware and software "database" is a franchise of the wholly-owned US system with certain bits disabled, not installed (yet) or otherwise unused. As is the case in the US and other participating countries, as individual local and national databases such as law enforcement, labor and revenue become compatible, they can be 'plugged in' to the Immigration system.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My understanding is that as part of the "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" relationship, the Thai Immigration hardware and software "database" is a franchise of the wholly-owned US system with certain bits disabled, not installed (yet) or otherwise unused. As is the case in the US and other participating countries, as individual local and national databases such as law enforcement, labor and revenue become compatible, they can be 'plugged in' to the Immigration system.

Sounds like a logical progression.

In the UK however, the government tried to integrate all the different departments so they could share common data.

So far, after years and billions of pounds, it still doesn't work.

50 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Unless every foreigner will be injected with GPS enabled RF chip or similar, i can't see any system good enough to track people based on their honesty and providing real information....

Good point. If the Immigration department of the RTP is already so hopelessly compromised from the get-go, how can they ever claim to have a verifiable and accountable way of confirming the honesty of each and every foreigner that treks through their halls nationally every day of the week, every week of the year.

Just now, bluesofa said:

In the UK however, the government tried to integrate all the different departments so they could share common data.

... but they haven't given up.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good point. If the Immigration department of the RTP is already so hopelessly compromised from the get-go, how can they ever claim to have a verifiable and accountable way of confirming the honesty of each and every foreigner that treks through their halls nationally every day of the week, every week of the year.

Looking at it cynically for a moment, does that mean once this new database is up-and-running, in the future we might see a foreigner jailed for perhaps ten years, only to discover later it was all down to a "data error"?

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

... but they haven't given up

OK, I wasn't aware of that. You seem to be in the know more than me. I know I said billions of pounds, IIRC was it two billion?

What I remember is that as a British passport-holder, UK immigration have no details of when I enter or exit the UK, therefore have no data to share anyway.

Also, IIRC they don't (or didn't) keep records of visa-holders leaving the country.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Looking at it cynically for a moment, does that mean once this new database is up-and-running, in the future we might see a foreigner jailed for perhaps ten years, only to discover later it was all down to a "data error"?

That's why one needs to make sure that the 'good' lawyer that one used maybe 20 or 30 years ago to handle the marriage or divorce or the company-owned home purchase (with land) is still alive and kicking and has a working mobile number.

If the database ever becomes a fully-fledged clone of the US system and the laws are the same, the onus will ALWAYS be on the penalized foreigner to prove

the database is wrong... without having legal access to the database to see what exactly the databases are banging him up for.

At present the main ways immigration keep track of foreigners in their jurisdiction is by paperwork when presented at immigration by applicants and 90 day reports and then the paperwork is stored.

But now immigration is entering the 21st century and will soon begin storing foreigners details in computer data bases, information will be logged when they travel and return from abroad, stay at hotels and do border crossings. All they need to do is use barcodes to bring up details of any particular foreigner in their database. 

Edited by cyberfarang

Last week I was at Khon Kaen immigration, it was early, about 8.30am and only one officer was at work.  They are currently working 'outside' the office as an upgrade is taking place.  The person in front of me was extending a TR visa for 30 days and I saw the IO lady entering the transaction into a large ledger, sort of Victorian I thought.  When I was being seen, I said to the the lady, "electronic system coming soon ?"  She looked up at me and said " In Thailand?".  She laughed.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 8:19 AM, transam said:

Well it does seem the present  PC database don't work...

Something similar already existed a long time ago. Please go to Cheng Wattana and ask them if you may see your file.

Oh, better not, they might arrest you for singing in the rain.....:stoner:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shoeless Joe said:

I think there's absolutely no need to get worked up about any of this.

It's so obviously Fake News.

Regards,

Joe

The Immigration knows exactly where you are, where you've been, and I don't think it's fake news. Big brother is watching you. 

• Like 1

The problem with databases is the person who knows what it needs to be able to do doesn't understand databases and the person who understands databases doesn't understand what it's supposed to do.

In Thailand, this results in total failure because the man ordering the database and the man producing the database don't know what eachother are banging on about, but to save face pretend they do. Throw in that the man ordering the database is likely someone who has worked his way to the top of the military and probably has no idea what the database needs to do, you get Thailand 4.0. The same as Thailand 1.0 but with added face.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, ezzra said:

Anyone with a "smart" phone is already being tracked, and we have to register our sims with the government.

Face <deleted> and your credit card companies know everything about you if you are on those systems and they no doubt give that information to governments, whatever they claim, IMO.