Long trip due to begin soon

Good evening Ladies and Gents,

About 10 days from now me and the Mrs are gonna start our trip from Pattaya to the South of Thailand, our 1st stop will be in the area of Cha Am, could those of you that live in the area recommend a decent hotel / guest house between 1000 - 1500 baht a night with respectable views, food, bar, internet etc and also looking for ideas for places to visit (apart from temples, the Mrs is on that one as I type :smile: ) 

And for all those that are likely to reply GIYF, yes I know that, however one cannot beat personal recommendations and even places to steer well clear of, having looked at the road map for the last few days we have decided on a route and apart from a fairly hectic drive from Patts and through BKK the rest should be a breeze with maybe only 4 -5 hours driving each day with 2 - 3 days rest at each new location.

So when we get to Cha Am I will probably be asking the same questions for our next destination, I'm not being lazy, I am drawing on the wealth of knowledge held by the Borg Collective loosely known as Thai Visa Forum members :thumbsup:   

And if you don't know anything about the Borg Collective............................ I'm sorry :stoner:

No idea what you mean by GIYF but all I can say about matters like this is. Google is your friend.

Perhaps you can open this up a bit more as opposed to one location.

Ao manow beach in prachuap is lovely. 

South of Thailand is a big place. I always like Koh Lanta and especially for couples. Long Beach is a good spot on that island and you can drive onto the island.

There's a nice place that belongs to Prachuap Khiri Khan a fishermen village with resorts called Bankrud, really worth to stay for a few days.

Not too far away from Hua Hin and a nice place to relax, no nightlife, no idiots, no ladyboys who want to take your cash away. 

You can go out on a smaller fishing boat at night, catch your own squid and BBQ them afterward.

There's a long beach with white sand, some good resorts and not many tourists under the week. Please have a look here:

http://bangsaphanguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=491&start=25

Edited by jenny2017
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

No idea what you mean by GIYF but all I can say about matters like this is. Google is your friend.

Perhaps you can open this up a bit more as opposed to one location.

Ao manow beach in prachuap is lovely. 

South of Thailand is a big place. I always like Koh Lanta and especially for couples. Long Beach is a good spot on that island and you can drive onto the island.

:biggrin: Thank you Rc2702, by the way GIYF = Google Is Your Friend, anyhow, I thank you for your reply.

I did post a similar request a few weeks back ( see below ) and got a pretty spectacular failure as far as replies are concerned, so I have decided to cut it down to bite size chunks.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1036069-driving-from-pattaya-to-satun-via-cha-am-hua-hin-using-routes-4404-etc/?do=findComment&comment=12940473

I know Google is good but these days it is dominated by the likes of Trip adviser, hotels.com, agoda and the rest, so trying to get a completely honest opinion is sometimes difficult which is why I use this forum.

So I ask members what they would recommend, on the way down we may miss out Hua Hin and a few other places but will catch them on the return leg, so if you know of any good hotels or guest houses that you could highly recommend I would be grateful, same goes for local attractions, some can be fantastic some can be absolute pants.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

There's a nice place that belongs to Prachuap Khiri Khan a fishermen village with resorts called Bankrud, really worth to stay for a few days.

Not too far away from Hua Hin and a nice place to relax, no nightlife, no idiots, no ladyboys who want to take your cash away. 

You can go out on a smaller fishing boat at night, catch your own squid and BBQ them afterward.

There's a long beach with white sand, some good resorts and not many tourists under the week. Please have a look here:

Many thanks jenny2017, I will check that out in more detail in the morning, maybe we will stay there on the return leg as Cha Am is penciled in for outbound trip, many many thanks :biggrin:

• Like 1

Check out Prachuap city, Sunbeach hotel and Prachuap beach hotel right on the waterfront for under a thousand baht a night. Short walk to seafood restaurant called loong Muks, another fifty metres along is Top Deck restaurant and bar for Thai or western food. Short trip on to the airforce base with a pristine beach and friendly monkeys on the southern end. Saturday and Sunday markets on the Burmese border ony 20 minutes inland. Lots of old temples everywhere, from the beach to the mountains.

• Thanks 1

If the trip is one of exploration, why tie yourself to a prebooked hotel? Just go and find somewhere you want to stay when you get somewhere you like . Always worked for me. In low season never a problem finding a room.

South of Chumphon, worth a stay is Sanawan B & B. it's on the internet. We had the beach to ourselves almost every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies :smile: We're not going to tie ourselves to anything, we are gonna be in exploration mode and as I think I mentioned in my OP I always think that a personal recommendation is a winner every time, one thing I try to avoid is having to look for somewhere to bed down after a 5 or 6 hour drive, :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the trip is one of exploration, why tie yourself to a prebooked hotel? Just go and find somewhere you want to stay when you get somewhere you like . Always worked for me. In low season never a problem finding a room.

South of Chumphon, worth a stay is Sanawan B & B. it's on the internet. We had the beach to ourselves almost every day.

Maybe you should indicate how far back your experience was too. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks for your replies :smile: We're not going to tie ourselves to anything, we are gonna be in exploration mode and as I think I mentioned in my OP I always think that a personal recommendation is a winner every time, one thing I try to avoid is having to look for somewhere to bed down after a 5 or 6 hour drive, :biggrin:

Once you're down to Phang Nga, please visit the area before Khao Lak. The area is called Bangsak and you can walk miles on white sand and turquoise colored sea. From luxury resorts, ( I've stayed in one before the Tsunami completely destroyed it) to simple bungalows, all available.

Khao Lak is only a few km's away and you might like it there. Just saying....

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g612391-d8513347-Reviews-Bangsak_Beach-Takua_Pa_Phang_Nga_Province.html

Edited by jenny2017
  • Thanks 1

If in Chumphon, why not a trip to Ko Tao, the little island? 

https://www.ferrysamui.com/koh-tao.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuYTYBRDsARIsAJnrUXCXeJlVop-OHE2Kt5i2F7k-O5cagM0v4Fql8ZMSwY_0aCzK5MaHkb0aAp8sEALw_wcB

I was never on Ko Tao myself, but remember that it's pretty close to Chumphon. 

18 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I think it's important to look at the trees when in the forest.....:stoner:

I've heard others claim this in the past.

I wonder about the actual dynamics.

Do you carry your bags from hotel to hotel  after a taxi drop off or do you take the first hotel you see.

I'm missing something here.

How do you manage this no reservation thing?

Is your Mrs. Thai? She will find good standard accommodation, clean, aircon and big beds at reasonable prices. For breakfast, I head for the biggest hotel in town, and load up on the buffet. Don't need lunch.

If she's not Thai, you could be SOOL.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Is your Mrs. Thai? She will find good standard accommodation, clean, aircon and big beds at reasonable prices. For breakfast, I head for the biggest hotel in town, and load up on the buffet. Don't need lunch.

If she's not Thai, you could be SOOL.

She's Thai, and when we go on trips like this we have a fairly good idea of the area that we will be heading for, so we google hotels - B&b's etc the night before and see what may be available, I always let her make the call, they hear a farang and the price could go up, we also check in using her ID not my passport, saves all that shit with immigration :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

I've heard others claim this in the past.

I wonder about the actual dynamics.

Do you carry your bags from hotel to hotel  after a taxi drop off or do you take the first hotel you see.

I'm missing something here.

How do you manage this no reservation thing?

We're driving so we can go look at any place that suits us prior to booking, but I always take personal recommendations where possible, and just in case someone feels like stitching me up with a fleapit, bear in mind the words of Liam Neeson, " I will hunt you down, I will find you & I will kill you" :cheesy:

An absolute gem is a little place called Huay Yang and a place called "Mumsa"! Roughly an hour and a half from Hua Hin (Location) this is the type of place people have in mind when talking about the "real" Thailand... Funny how 9/10 people somehow seem ending up in Patong, Chaweng or Phi Phi :passifier:. A nice detour is the boarder town with Myanmar which is here.

KIO

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, KIO said:

An absolute gem is a little place called Huay Yang and a place called "Mumsa"! Roughly an hour and a half from Hua Hin (Location) this is the type of place people have in mind when talking about the "real" Thailand... Funny how 9/10 people somehow seem ending up in Patong, Chaweng or Phi Phi :passifier:. A nice detour is the boarder town with Myanmar which is here.

KIO

Looks ideal, many thanks for that, just shown the pics and other info to the Mrs, she likes the look of it as well, that could be our 1st stop before we get to Chumphon and head to the West cost, a couple of nights or more to chill could be good :thumbsup:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

jenny2017, just spent some considerable time looking at that link you posted, fanbloodytastic :biggrin: the Mrs is googling caves and temples as I type, that is gonna be a definite stop on the way back, so thanks for that, we will check out Bankrud for accommodation on our return leg. :thumbsup: 

Another neat place as you are travelling with your own car is a place with absolutly stunning views is this place https://goo.gl/maps/DrDzfCeQA8P2 located not as far as one would expect from the hustle and bustle of Hua Hin. Dirt cheap @ 990 thb per night and be sure arriving on a weekday as wekends the Bangkokians come and occupy the best rooms which obviously are the ones on the top.

KIO

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 7:14 AM, Mister T said:

Check out Prachuap city, Sunbeach hotel and Prachuap beach hotel right on the waterfront for under a thousand baht a night. Short walk to seafood restaurant called loong Muks, another fifty metres along is Top Deck restaurant and bar for Thai or western food. Short trip on to the airforce base with a pristine beach and friendly monkeys on the southern end. Saturday and Sunday markets on the Burmese border ony 20 minutes inland. Lots of old temples everywhere, from the beach to the mountains.

Booked into Sunbeach hotel for 3 days, we will leave here at a reasonable time Sunday morning and hopefully get there mid afternoon, I checked their website and FB page 1st, they have got some really good feedback, thanks for the heads up on that, got any more gems on the Andaman sea, route 4 area about 3 - 4 hours from there ?