Phallic Fence Will Be Remodelled -

ollyrosee

Phallic fence offends Thai locals

Monday, January 29, 2007

A Thai spa is to re-model its penis-shaped fence into lotus flowers after protests from angry neighbours.

The Sappaya Spa, on Phuket island, offended locals this months when builders put up 18 Hindu Shiva Lingas around the property. Shiva Linga is the holy symbol of Lord Shiva, which religious scholars have given various interpretations of, including the symbol of copulation.

Now, after weeks of negotiation, the spa owner, who is a staunch Hindu follower, has agreed to change the sculptures which he thought would bring him good luck in business.

Thawichart Intararit, chief of Phuket's culture office, said: 'People can't stand them so they called us for help.

'He promised to have workers use cement to re-shape them into lotus flowers from Monday.'

Most of Thailand's 64 million people are Buddhists, many of whom also worship Hindu gods and practise Hindu rituals.

The Spa is located near the entrance of a small village and near a beach on the southern tourist island.

www.metro.co.uk

Proof, again, of Thai intolerance, xenophobia and unwillingness to accept of other religions and races....

Seconded. When it comes to Thailand and Thais' style than its their "THAI CULTURE NA...." and when it comes to others than "WE CAN NOT TAKE IT. CHANGE IT OR LEAVE THAILAND." :o

Edited by ajarnmark

I did a drive-by today and the tips of offending pillars are indeed being transformed into blossoming lotus buds - shame really, I was starting to enjoy the phallus power of said fence. :o

Don't see the problem really, there is a "penis" cave on the beach at Railay filled with colourful and golden topped phalluses - a local Thai place of worship!

I did a drive-by today and the tips of offending pillars are indeed being transformed into blossoming lotus buds - shame really, I was starting to enjoy the phallus power of said fence. :o

Don't see the problem really, there is a "penis" cave on the beach at Railay filled with colourful and golden topped phalluses - a local Thai place of worship!

Yup, no more great big penises. The graphic bits have been filled in. Shame really. LOL. :D

would a temple be a better place for displaying falluses than the clinic?

Why of course! There's one centuries still standing erect at the very center of Prasat Panom Rung, as of this very day. Has that one ever made the headlines due to objections of the public? I think not...

Religions, especially the Hindu deities, are afforded leniencies that businesses are not in many parts of the world.

i would love to see a pic of this. can someone do a driveby and take a quick snap?

You pervert, you! :D

By the way, good thing Thais don't live near Khao Phra Vihan or Angkor Wat. They'd have the whole thing razed, especially the entry walks! :o

post-21740-1170317589_thumb.jpg

Jealousy just plain jealousy, just proves this is the LOLD(land of little dicks)

I don't agree with you and I have done mucho research on the topic. We are not talking about stereotypical Asians when it comes to Thailand. In general, I have found Thai men to be mightily blessed.