Sky Tv

stuandchris

Hi gang

This might be a silly question aimed at the UK expats, if I bought a sky receiver, dish, card etc and brought it to LOS could a signal be picked up? I know it works over all of Europe but doesit extend to Thailand?

Many thanks

Stu

Totally impossible unless you had a dish the size of Jodrell Bank !

What is possible though is to get the UK FREEVIEW in Thailand.

You need a boadband connection in both UK and Thailand and a Slingbox and you're there. It will come over the internet from your Freeview set up in the UK.

You need a boadband connection in both UK and Thailand and a Slingbox and you're there. It will come over the internet from your Freeview set up in the UK.

Toppy, you got one of these things?

Does it time shift?

How well does it really work here?

No not tried it from Thailand but Curry's demo'ed it in the shop where it did work. It's sold at Heathrow airport duty free. Nearest distributor is in Hong Kong

Sling have a website

www.slingbox.co.uk

Also a new development is tv hotels. If you dont have a place to set up your Freeview in the UK you take your box to the tv hotel (in the UK of course) and they connect it up to an aerial and to broadband for you . Has to be your own box for copyright reasons and it has to go to your set up in Thailand ...(otherwise anyone could access it !)

Edited by topfield

you can have sky on multichoice (DSTV network fron south africa).They provide sky,BBC and various english speaking channels.The dream network from filippina provides many english speaking channels too but not sky

For DSTV,you need an internet connection,a dish , a dreambox and (theorically hum hum) a paying access code

For dream you need a HUGE dish and a dreambox plus an access code (hum ...)

I have both and I am happy

For more info go look www.jsat.tv

They provide good service and are driven by a farang

Other solution providers exists like samart.These guys tried to cheat me in Pattaya....

Hope this help

Reply to KONANGRIT and another

You are right that if over the horizon no signal from Sky possible. However it is not over the horizon. Here in Bangkok we receive Panamsat 2 at 169 degrees East easily with even an 8 foot dish.

Therefore since Thailand is at 100 degrees it can easily drop 70 degrees to the East. Astra /Eurobird is at 28 degrees East which is 72 degrees to the West. In theory therefore there is no reason why the Sky signal should not be received in Bangkok high on a hill with a 100 foot dish .

NB With regard to Jsat recommended in one posting it should be pointed out that although the service is excellent.....my goodness are they expensive compared to Thai sat Co's !!

Suppose that's to be expected as the owner Jon Clarke is a Kiwi and charges at Kiwi rates

Edited by topfield

Topfield, you are of course right, I did a little research and Astra2 doesn't drop below the horizon until you get to the East coast of Vietnam. Astra1 is just below the horizon in Bangkok, so I'm only about a decade out of date with my answer :o. Theoretically any satellite from Afristar1 at 21E to Intelsat 701 at 180E can be seen from bangkok. Out of interest what's the furthest west you can get a signal from your location?

Topfield, you are of course right, I did a little research and Astra2 doesn't drop below the horizon until you get to the East coast of Vietnam. Astra1 is just below the horizon in Bangkok, so I'm only about a decade out of date with my answer :o. Theoretically any satellite from Afristar1 at 21E to Intelsat 701 at 180E can be seen from bangkok. Out of interest what's the furthest west you can get a signal from your location?

NSS 703 at 57 degrees East is not difficult to pick up in Bangkok and has strong signal but on a good day one can receive the global beam of Yamal 202 at 49 degrees East.

By the way the signal of a dish raised anything less than 5 degrees from the horizontal would be very very weak because of interference from the ground so Astra 2 at 28 degrees is probably the practical limit . In any case aSTRA 2 has no beam which reaches the Middle East let alone Thailand !