Own Up! Who Nicked It?

Maejo Man

FLORA EXPO

Eight-tonne royal 'coin' goes missing

WASSAYOS NGAMKHAM

Former deputy police chief Salang Bunnag yesterday lodged a complaint with crime suppression police about the disappearance of an eight-tonne emblem of His Majesty the King displayed at the Royal Ratchaphruek 2006 exposition in Chiang Mai.

The emblem, which resembles a large coin in shape, was built to commemorate the King's introduction of artificial rain-making in arid areas. It has pictures of His Majesty on the front and artificial rain-making on the back with the words "Royal Rain-Making Since 1955".

Pol Gen Salang said friends who had visited the expo told him on Jan 18 that the emblem had disappeared. He then asked the expo organisers about it, but has not yet been given clear explanations.

The royal emblem was built by the Salang Bunnag Foundation.

Pol Gen Salang, who chairs the foundation, said it was worried that the coin might have been taken to an inappropriate area which might be disrespectful to the King.

The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry asked the foundation to help it make the emblem for the three-month flora expo, which is being held as part of the celebrations for the 60th anniversary of the King's accession to the throne.

The coin, with a diameter of 1.99 metres, is made of bronze and covered with gold. It was put on show at the Homage Garden zone to allow visitors to pay respect to the King, Pol Gen Salang said.

Agriculture Department chief Adisak Sesunpagit said yesterday that the emblem was not lost, but was being displayed elsewhere.

"It's impossible that the large coin would easily disappear," he said.

Mr Adisak declined to give further details and said the department, which oversees the expo, will hold a press conference to clarify the reasons today. The three-month expo will end tomorrow.

FLORA EXPO

Eight-tonne royal 'coin' goes missing

WASSAYOS NGAMKHAM

Former deputy police chief Salang Bunnag yesterday lodged a complaint with crime suppression police about the disappearance of an eight-tonne emblem of His Majesty the King displayed at the Royal Ratchaphruek 2006 exposition in Chiang Mai.

The emblem, which resembles a large coin in shape, was built to commemorate the King's introduction of artificial rain-making in arid areas. It has pictures of His Majesty on the front and artificial rain-making on the back with the words "Royal Rain-Making Since 1955".

Pol Gen Salang said friends who had visited the expo told him on Jan 18 that the emblem had disappeared. He then asked the expo organisers about it, but has not yet been given clear explanations.

The royal emblem was built by the Salang Bunnag Foundation.

Pol Gen Salang, who chairs the foundation, said it was worried that the coin might have been taken to an inappropriate area which might be disrespectful to the King.

The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry asked the foundation to help it make the emblem for the three-month flora expo, which is being held as part of the celebrations for the 60th anniversary of the King's accession to the throne.

The coin, with a diameter of 1.99 metres, is made of bronze and covered with gold. It was put on show at the Homage Garden zone to allow visitors to pay respect to the King, Pol Gen Salang said.

Agriculture Department chief Adisak Sesunpagit said yesterday that the emblem was not lost, but was being displayed elsewhere.

"It's impossible that the large coin would easily disappear," he said.

Mr Adisak declined to give further details and said the department, which oversees the expo, will hold a press conference to clarify the reasons today. The three-month expo will end tomorrow.

"Agriculture Department chief Adisak Sesunpagit said yesterday that the emblem was not lost, but was being displayed elsewhere"

"not lost", "being displayed elsewhere"

Eight tonne, you don't just put it in your pocket and walk away with it.

This guy (Adisak) is "chok wow maak maak" if the coin is not lost why doesn't he just come clean and say where it is. :o

Perhaps he was keeping it as a souviner.

Another case of TIT

Mr Adisak declined to give further details and said the department, which oversees the expo, will hold a press conference to clarify the reasons today.

he want's to appear more important than he really is - think of those cameras and journalists

:o Today has been and gone. No word. to be honest, I doubt whether any Thai would consider melting it down for the scrap value if it has the head of the King on it. When we first moved here, I foolishly (in retrospect) put my foot out to stop a load of coins that a woman had dropped from rolling off. If looks could kill......................

Well no press conference that I could find reference to anywhere!! Expo closing, coin spirited away, 2 million baht in someone's back yard, and the matter is forgotten. It's a sad day when blatent thievery can go unchecked....

> I have just read a report in todays Bangkok Post that the object was removed because it had not been given royal approval.

This now makes me wonder if the 100,000 banners of HM the King and Queen with Nokia and True adverts attached to them have acquired royal approval.

:o I apologise. I have just read a report in todays Bangkok Post that the object was removed because it had not been given royal approval. The owners intend to contact the King and ask for his forgiveness.

It's been sitting there for just on three months, and only just before the expo closes it was decided to remove it. :D Why don't they 'fess up now that they've been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

It's a matter of protocol that something costing millions of baht is submitted to the royal household for prior approval, before spending the money on it to be made.

I remain unconvinced!!!!!