Prayut dismisses election rally, warns law-breaking protesters

webfact

Prayut dismisses election rally, warns law-breaking protesters 

By The Nation

11a9028bd9c86d272a984284d6b09a50.jpeg

Photo by Tanachai Pramarnpanich

As protesters marched to Government House amid growing demands for an election this year, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday insisted that the poll would be no sooner than early 2019.

“They can demand all they want but the law is the law,” Prayut said during a press briefing. “There will be an election early next year, no sooner than that. We will have to progress according to the readiness of related laws.”

Prayut was referring to four organic laws related to the election. According to the 2017 Constitution, the election must be held within 150 days of all the four laws coming into effect.

The junta leader declared last year that the election would be held by this November, but that date was changed again when junta-appointed legislators agreed to delay the enactment of the MP election law by 90 days.

That meant a further delay to the poll date of three months from this November, placing it at next February.

The move stirred dissatisfaction among pro-democracy activists, who are sceptical of reasons given for the delay and have been calling for an election since January.

Today, as the junta government reaches its 4th anniversary, the group marched towards Government House to demand a poll be held before the year is out.

The marchers are defying a junta ban on political gatherings of five or more people.

“They cannot march, whether they support or oppose us. It breaks the law. They will just cause conflict and upset the economy,” Prayut said.

“They can have different opinions but must not break the law.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346004

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-22
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PREM-R said:

Technically yes....... but he is 'good people' .......... oh! and he gave himself and his cronies a complete and all consuming amnesty.

Correct answer.

For more than eight decades such good autocrats have installed juntas to guide the country to democracy   ...  plutocracy, and with that happiness for the top brass and other elites.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Making a coup is treason. Passing retro-active laws is shunned in most civilised countries, but it is the custom and practice of coup governments in Thailand, to forgive themselves after the fact using dodgy laws.

Only one way to resolve the coup problem, and that's to make it unattractive for people who might be tempted in the future. Lots of options, I would start with life in prison, and confiscate the assets of the family. Should give pause for thought.

Or a public hanging for treason....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Someone ekse in this thread made what I believe was a good idea. A part of the problem is if you remove a top man, there are 50 more wanting to replace him. So...

He suggested take the top 100 people, convict them and sentence them to be shot for treason. Then make all their subordinates attend and watch. That should get the thinking juices flowing. Seems like a pretty good idea. Personally, after the firing parties, I would bang the spectators up in the worst prison imaginable. Society must have at least some revenge for the damage caused by these louts.

I like it.

I believe there are over 3000 generals, admirals et al in the armed services here. I reckon your figure above is nowhere near enough...

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I like it.

I believe there are over 3000 generals, admirals et al in the armed services here. I reckon your figure above is nowhere near enough...

Indeed, more than the USA army has according to some. Maybe 1000 then...

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

Actually, they already essentially possess that under the highest Thai law. According to the Thai Constitution of 2016: 'Sovereignty belongs to the Thai people' - not to a military junta. But as I said in my post above - in Thailand the law counts for absolutely nothing.

Careful.. Quoting the constitution will soon be sedition the way things are heading...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

You are so right, Baboon: look at those poor protesters today - simply asking that Prayut's own promise of a November election be honoured. And now - the leaders are under arrest and have been whisked off to God knows where.

Yes: the Law is what Prayut says it is (but be careful - because it changes by the minute!).

But there will be a reckoning, there will have to be if the cycle of coups. First understand who benefits from the coup and then make sure they don't benefit. Do whatever it takes...

Mind you, it *is* Thais we're talking about... I suppose that makes a difference, where there's no sense there's no feeling.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

Even though no shot was fired, the country was taken over by force of arms. This in its self is illegal, but once in power you can change the laws to suit yourself. As to spending billions on armaments which are not needed, who in their right mind would invade, theres nothing worth having.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

Of course not, he just changed the law

Wrong answer..... he did break the law as it stood at the time.

Of course, having done so, he did make the necessary changes to ensure his record is unblemished.

Edited by Aj Mick
  • Like 1